Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meeting people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,
Would anyone ever meet anyone they met online on a dating site? Has anyone already done it?
Im unsure as to whether to meet this guy or not

THanks in advance

Miss x

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,

As plenty of people on TheSite can vouch, meeting someone in real life who you've got to know online can be a very positive experience. However, it's important to approach a meeting with a certain degree of caution.

We've got a factsheet about meeting offline which will help you plan ahead and think about some of the issues.

But I'm sure others will be happy to share their experiences with you.

Good luck and take care ;)
  • Options
    Me personally wouldn't have the guts, iv'e heard too many stories and wouldn't be willing to take the risk.

This may be because i am young and feel vulnerable though and my opinion may change in a few years, but right now meeting someone off the internet makes me feel uncomfortable.
  • Options
    ive done it a couple of times, its not that scary to be honest! but im probably a bit older than you.

all times have always gone great. i'd certainly get to know someone first tho.
  • Options
    There was a similar thread about this a wile back. Best thing to do is meet somewhere public and somewhere where you know your way around, so that if things do go wrong you can make your escape.

I've met someone offline (and am doing it again tomorrow) and the first time I found it very scary. In the end, it turned out to be a great evening. (apart from being stopped by the police for speeding)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have met people off t'internet before.

Make sure you meet in a public place.

Make sure that there are people who know where you are going, who you are with and a check in time (a text or something about a couple of hours into the date would normally suffice).

I get annoyed when people say that they wouldn't meet anyone offline because of all the "horror stories." If you do it safely and sensibly then there is no harm and no different to meeting up with someone you snogged in a club last saturday night in a drunken frenzy.
  • Options
    I've met more online people than I'm willing to count. All of them were who they said they were going to be, and I was never in any danger.

Go for it, at least you know you're gonna get on with him.
  • Options

I get annoyed when people say that they wouldn't meet anyone offline because of all the "horror stories." If you do it safely and sensibly then there is no harm and no different to meeting up with someone you snogged in a club last saturday night in a drunken frenzy.

Agreed.
    This may be because i am young and feel vulnerable though and my opinion may change in a few years, but right now meeting someone off the internet makes me feel uncomfortable.

When I did it I found it slightly uncomfortable, but it was alright after a while.
  • Options
    Also, with regards to meeting offline (not that I think this is the case with this particular thread) you don't just meet someone online and then spur of the moment go and meet offline. You build a relationship, you speak on the phone, exchange pictures, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Also, with regards to meeting offline (not that I think this is the case with this particular thread) you don't just meet someone online and then spur of the moment go and meet offline. You build a relationship, you speak on the phone, exchange pictures, etc etc etc.

:yes: Although the problem with pictures is that there are some people who shows pictures which they claim are them but aren't.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    :yes: Although the problem with pictures is that there are some people who shows pictures which they claim are them but aren't.

I'll not deny that but each person has to use their discretion. If for one second you start to doubt the identity of the person then you must take that into consideration.
  • Options
    My partner and I met online 3 years ago. Up until then I had met a few people from the net but it had been bad experiences mostly. I was kinda young back then and naive. I don't think I can do the whole net thing again though.
  • Options
    I've not met many people off the internet, but I've met a good few. Most were acquaintances made on an internet forum. Two were potential love interests, one of those two turned into a relationship, the other did not.

Most people are who they say they are, or who you believe them to be. Sometimes people aren't who you think they are - either through you not getting a correct 'image' of them when speaking online or over the phone, or through them 'massaging' the truth.

If unsure, meet in a public place that you are familiar with.
  • Options
    the girlfriend im seeing at the moment i started talking to her on faceparty. then we seen each other in the same night club a few times, and then we wud talk on msn, then last nov we decided to properly meet up together like a date at the nightclub, we had a brilliant night, we r together and have been for nearly 9 months :):love:

shes coming to mine very soon :naughty:
  • Options
    I've met a fair few people offline; they've all been lovely and usually even nicer than I'd imagined they would be :)

Be safe, use your best judgement and trust your instincts and there shouldn't be any problems.