Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dr's and mental health.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that I go to the doctors with a splitting headache, which I keep getting, I've had three of these already this week, and have had several more in the last few weeks. The doctor said it was dehydration most probably, but said that 'when you're feeling down and going through a hard time, this can cause headaches too'.

My point- Every time I go to the doctors is my mental health going to be brought up? I'm feeling a lot better than I have done, but it seems that now I have a history of mental health is it always going to be brought up?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But what the doctor said is true Kirst. Dehydration happens far more often than we think during the summer - stress and anxiety can also be a cause of pain. The doctor will only bring it up as they believe it may be a possible cause :).
    yeh he's probably right. try drinking more. :yes:
    Dehydration accounts usually for 90% of all headaches. Also ketogenic diets (i.e Atkins) can also lead to headaches.
    HIT wrote:
    Dehydration accounts usually for 90% of all headaches. Also ketogenic diets (i.e Atkins) can also lead to headaches.

Wow, I had no idea. Can rehydrating make the headache go away too?
    Yeah. :)

Can take a while though - I tend to find those headaches you get that you know won't disappear are the ones caused by not drinking enough. They take a good long while to go - best option is to drink a large amount of water, then try to sleep. :)
    your-babe wrote:
    My point- Every time I go to the doctors is my mental health going to be brought up? I'm feeling a lot better than I have done, but it seems that now I have a history of mental health is it always going to be brought up?

If your doctors are anything like mine, then yes.
    my_name wrote:
    Wow, I had no idea. Can rehydrating make the headache go away too?
    Yes absolutly. 2 litres of water is your base for intact 365 days a year. Add to that for every diuretic you take on and how much you sweat.
    your-babe wrote:
    but it seems that now I have a history of mental health is it always going to be brought up?
    :yes: and records are for life
    tbh tho' may be he just wasn't listening to you...
    Sorry, forgot I made this thread lol- my memory is shit recently.

Anyway, thankyou for the replies, and I'm sure it is dehydration, as I've been drinking a lot more over the past week, and had no more headaches.

It's bad that a history of mental health is brought up though, as if I hadn't seen them about it, or gone for help, then they wouldn't know now, so in theory they couldn't mention it really. Also though, how does the doctor you are seeing know how you are getting on? I've been getting on really well so far, and for him to say what he did, really pissed me off, and almost made me make a step backwards, for all he knows I could be fine- no self harm, OCD's fine, not feeling depressed, or it could be completely the opposite, so how can he mention that?!!!
    Whenever my sister goes to the docs, or is given POM's she's always monitored with them - because she was suicidal 4 years ago (She's all great now though!) But, as people have said, medical records are there for life.
    but if they didn't check on you then they wouldn't be doing their job properly would they? They can't look at you and know what's going on in your head.
    Saying that though when i've been back for other stuff they've never asked about my panic attacks and the med they gave me. But i suppose they're considered less serious than depression.
    Yeah, I see what you're saying Ballerina, I just found it to be a backwards step.

Yeah, I didn't think about medical records being for life. It may have just been easier if I didn't go to the doctors in the first place lol. Ah well. C'est la vie.
    there's no point avoiding the docs just because they'll ask about depression and that. They're only there to help, it seems like you haven't completly accepted that you have/had depression as you don't like it being mentioned?
    It's nothing to feel bad about and as time goes on they probably won't ask as much.
    No, I haven't completely accpeted it, but I'm quite stubborn :)
    Tbh I don't think I ever will either.
    Think that's why people get such bad heads when hungover as alcohol leaves you very dehydrated.
    turlough wrote:
    Think that's why people get such bad heads when hungover as alcohol leaves you very dehydrated.

Which I learnt the hard way Saturday evening.