Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ann Coulter v Jeremy Paxman

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wow! I am understandably no fan of Ann Coulter (or Paxman for that matter) but she certainly chewed him up and spat him out in their clash on Newsnight.

See video at :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/5102062.stm

Comments

• Options
    I hate her so much.
  • Options
    i just watched the clip, shes as thick as 2 shits, and annoys me immensely, as does michael moore to be honest
  • Options
    Can't say she impressed me that much - a few semi-decent comments, but not nearly as strong as Galloway after the general election. To be fair Paxman seemed a bit restrained, not interrupting her and his questions were a bit soft. He seemed overawed before he even spoke to her.
  • Options
    Paxman got utterly Owned. What the hell was he playing at? He didnt interrupt her once.
  • Options
    Based on that, he didn't ask her any hard-hitting questions, and as a result, she didn't make any points that stand out in particular. I think it'd be fairly easy to reveal how extreme, and frankly stupid this woman is if he'd actually tried, and he's owned people far more intelligent than her in the past. All he'd need to do would be to take a single unreasonable point that she's made and discuss it in more detail to show her up for not having a clue what she's talking about. Instead all he did was skim over everything she'd written in her book and asked her to explain it, without challenging any of the answers she gave. She actually sounded almost reasonable in this interview, and I know based on interviews on American networks that she most certainly isn't.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Paxman got utterly Owned. What the hell was he playing at? He didnt interrupt her once.

It's about time someone did that to him, he always does that to people.

She's still a bitch though.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Can't say she impressed me that much - a few semi-decent comments, but not nearly as strong as Galloway after the general election. To be fair Paxman seemed a bit restrained, not interrupting her and his questions were a bit soft. He seemed overawed before he even spoke to her.

Well, that's kinda what I was driving at. For somone who is so full of vile and hate, why didn't Paxman sort her out? Seems like if you stick doggedly to your views, he doesnt quite know what to do ... it's a shame that he let her get away with it.
  • Options
    Paxman can be disapointly weak when he's faced with someone tough, his performance against George Galloway was dreadfull likewise with Ann Coulter.

I think he needs to stick to issues rather than going on a general attack
  • Options
    Good news that Paxman got humbled. I used to think he was an excellent jouno but he does seem to base his performances on trying to embarrass his guests and make them uncomfortable.

Bad news that one of the most odious, Nazi, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, religious fundamentalist subhuman scum on the planet was given a platform to speak from.

I look forward to the usual suspects in the press and elsewhere spitting blood about the BBC giving time so such extremist :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Good news that Paxman got humbled. I used to think he was an excellent jouno but he does seem to base his performances on trying to embarrass his guests and make them uncomfortable.

Bad news that one of the most odious, Nazi, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, religious fundamentalist subhuman scum on the planet was given a platform to speak from.

I look forward to the usual suspects in the press and elsewhere spitting blood about the BBC giving time so such extremist :rolleyes:

Cant help thinking she's attractive though, and her fundamentalist views just make her more so in a kind of perverse way
  • Options
    shes not that good looking :s

she is very annoying and i still fail to see how she owned paxman, he didn't eally challenge her and she came back, nothing on the galloway one after his election :D i dont think much of his views but in terms of skill he is very good at getting them across
  • Options
    I didn't think it was a question of who was 'weak' and who was 'strong', he just asked shit questions.

Asking 'do you want to retract those comments?' without following it up with awell thought out reason why we should and similarly for 'do you believe that?' was just shit.......
  • Options
    Cant help thinking she's attractive though, and her fundamentalist views just make her more so in a kind of perverse way
    I bet she's got webbed feet.
  • Options

Yep, perverse is the right word ...
  • Options
    She's clearly very intelligent. A little bit mental in places, but very intelligent.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    She's clearly very intelligent. A little bit mental in places, but very intelligent.

What makes you think that?

She didn't get the chance to state the case for her views as Paxman didn't ask. Plus i'm fairly sure she mis-used the word "tautology".
  • Options
    I didn't hear her say the word tautology.

It's just my opinion, based on her demeanor and stuff. You can't be stupid and field paxman.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You can't be stupid and field paxman.

Yes that is true
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Many evil bastards are intelligent so that's possible.

However, if she really believes God created the earth, its fauna and animals for humans to use and abuse in any way they see fit, as she claims, I don't think she's intelligent at all.
  • Options
    I don't consider anyone intelligent if they make their mind up about issues before hearing both sides of the argument and all the issues, and she seems like a typical example. I bet I could tell you her exact position on every major debate, and I bet she'll go to the grave believing the same things. I don't consider that intelligence at all. I think that people like that, whatever their political beliefs are, are the bane of society. If you say she's intelligent for her ability to be controversial and sell books, then I'd agree with you, but then she's only as intelligent as Jade Goody, who's also become rich by talking a load of shit.
  • Options
    Coulter is nothing more than a shill for the populist PR that so many braindead neocon dupes and televangelist following zombies in my country absorb without an ounce of critical reflection or rationality.

It takes no intelligence whatsoever to become a popular icon in America.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Many evil bastards are intelligent so that's possible.

However, if she really believes God created the earth, its fauna and animals for humans to use and abuse in any way they see fit, as she claims, I don't think she's intelligent at all.
    Now, I haven't actually read her book, so what does she actually say about that? Mostly people take up two extreme conflicting and wrong views. Some people (ie, those who believe in christian creation) think that the world was created for us with us in charge, so we can do what we like, some people have also recognised that we were set up as guardians but take up an equally extreme standpoint.

The more correct thing is more likely to be somewhere in the middle, yes the bible said we were set up in charge, but we were set up in charge as guardians. So it's something in the middle.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The more correct thing is more likely to be somewhere in the middle, yes the bible said we were set up in charge, but we were set up in charge as guardians. So it's something in the middle.
    I may regret asking this, but how can you possibly say that?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Now, I haven't actually read her book, so what does she actually say about that? Mostly people take up two extreme conflicting and wrong views. Some people (ie, those who believe in christian creation) think that the world was created for us with us in charge, so we can do what we like, some people have also recognised that we were set up as guardians but take up an equally extreme standpoint.

I entirely agree with that view. Coulter was saying that we shouldn't care about destroying the Amazonian forest, bringing species to extinction or polluting entire ecosystems because it was all given to us by God to do as we pleased with it.

She's a nasty, disturbing being.
  • Options
    Her rabid constituency of readers is significantly composed of those ascribing to the hateful apocalytpic evangelical movement and thus such positions are entirely in accord with the agenda of active opposition to any environmental responsibility which characterises these lunatics.

To truly understand the depth of her vitriol, one has to grasp the dynamics of the hard right camp for which she is merely a populist mouthpiece. She is cut from the same cloth as Rush Limbaugh and other divisive media icons in the US today.
  • Options
    I may regret asking this, but how can you possibly say that?
    Because the most appropriate course of action for almost everything is almost never the extreme.
  • Options
    There is always someone in the world of politics whom is prepared to demonise someone else. For instance, in 1997, the Tories attempted to portray Tony Blair as the devil in posters saying "New Labour, New Danger", one of few occasions the Tories have got something right. Labour responded by talking about keeping politics clean, something they've conspiciously failed to do since day one - Bernie Ecclestone, the Hinduja Brothers, Peter Mandelson and many others come to mind.

In the media, Richard Littlejohn of the Daily Mail likes to demonise Polly Toynbee of The Guardian as being part of some extreme, politically correct left-wing group who want to destroy Britain. I admit I've demonised her in the past, though nowhere near the extent he has. Or being a Liberal Democrat seems to be a criminal offence in itself if you believe what The Sun's editorial says on a near daily basis. Rest assured they are not so concerned about the political views of the ladies who bare their breasts each day in their paper, however.

To spare the rest of you from drudgery and misery, I've decided to take a look at Ann Coulter's official website to find out more about her views. All of what is quoted below can be found on her site, and all of it was written in the last 12 months.

ALLEGED MISQUOTING OF HER VIEWS: "It happens so much, I don't even keep track of it anymore. The last one I remember was when I said "cutting the tax rate on capital gains seems to have increased tax receipts for fiscal 2006, just as supply-side economics predicted it would." It came out in the paper as, "I worship Adolf Hitler and share all of his goals, especially the 'final solution' to the 'Jewish problem.'"

ABORTION: "They [The Democrats] basically want to depopulate the world of human beings, hence their love of abortion and their commitment to a belief system that does not distinguish men from lower beasts."

DEATH PENALTY: "I prefer a firing squad, but I'm open to a debate on the method of execution."

DEMOCRATS: "If the Democrats were running things, our cities would be ash heaps and the state of Israel would have been wiped off the map by now."

ISRAEL'S RESPONSE TO HEZBOLLAH: "Some have argued that Israel's response is disproportionate, which is actually correct: It wasn't nearly strong enough. I know this because there are parts of South Lebanon still standing."

LIBERALISM: "Liberals are always play-acting that they are under some monstrous attack from the right wing as they insouciantly place all Americans in danger. Their default position is umbrage, bordering on high dudgeon."

THE MEDIA: "There is, however, one poll taken by millions of Americans every day, year in, year out. Based on plummeting viewers, circulation numbers and ad rates, we can say with some certainty, the American people are beginning to loathe the liberal media."

MUSLIMS: "The "offense to Islam" ruse is merely an excuse for Muslims to revert to their default mode: rioting and setting things on fire. These people have a serious anger management problem... The mass violence by Muslims over some cartoons reminds us why we have to worry when countries like Iran start talking about having nukes. Iran is led by a lunatic who makes a big point of denying the Holocaust. Indeed, in response to the Muhammad cartoons, one Iranian newspaper is soliciting cartoons about the Holocaust."

I could go on, but I think my point has been established. Clearly not a person you'd like to bump into in a dark alley. As for those who say she's attractive. She may well have a pretty face, but inside that skull is a person who holds some pretty repellent views.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Loads of stuff
    Exactly, she's just a fucking stereotype. Like I said, I could tell you her opinion on any issue in the world before she's even stated it herself.
  • Options
    Exactly, she's just a fucking stereotype. Like I said, I could tell you her opinion on any issue in the world before she's even stated it herself.
    As someone who's pretty right-wing himself, you'd think that I could understand her views. Well, I'm as confused as everyone else.

For instance, her views on the media. The British media is going through a similar problem. It's far more to do with the lack of real news being reported in certain quarters. Not to do with plots being hatched up by the We're A Bunch Of Liberal Lefties Society that she probably thinks meets in Area 51 every Tuesday at 3pm for tea and biscuits. Stupid bitch.
  • Options
    Did she or didn't she say Muslims should be converted to christianity by force and those who didn't comply be bombed to death?

She did.

Did she or didn't she say New Yorkers deserve 9/11?

She did.

She's an utter cunt.