Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kids being weighed in school.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who always thought that it was embarrassing for the "festively plumped" children to be weighed in front of the whole class?

I felt it was really out of order schools doing this. This is how bullying starts.

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what? since when have big kids been weighed in school? what coma have i just woken up from?
    Ballerina wrote:
    what? since when have big kids been weighed in school? what coma have i just woken up from?
    I just thought about it a minuete ago.

In primary school & the beginning of secondary, we were always being weighed as part of "science experiments", for lessons.
    Got to admit, I've never heard of it happening, or ever happened when I was at school.

Guess this is more of a debate thread, so moving it over there.
    For science a few times we've be weighted and had our height taken, but that's totally different. You might want to move this to P&D me thinks.
    i've never been weighed in school. Had my height done a few times for science but thats it.
    My borough most have been the only one to do it. :nervous:
    was never weighed at school - thank god, was a bit of a chunk and it would have traumatised me.
    Despite not having problems wiyth my weight (well, I do but it's more to do with not being able to put on weight) I would still find this embarrassing.
    I think it may have been asked once or twice in experiments, however we had the choice.
    I was actually the heaviest in my class. :(

Not the plumpest though. :)

But I remember my best mate at the time, his mum wrote a letter in to get him out of lessons that day. I really never understood why schools done it.
    squeal16 wrote:
    I think it may have been asked once or twice in experiments, however we had the choice.

we never had the choice.
    Sofie wrote:
    we never had the choice.
    x2
    i used to have a medical every year at my school. we had it privatley in the nurses office but someone would always come out crying because they were too short or fat. haha
    lipsy wrote:
    i used to have a medical every year at my school. we had it privatley in the nurses office but someone would always come out crying because they were too short or fat. haha

What's wrong with being short? Or were they short and fat?
    squeal16 wrote:
    Stubby :D
    lipsy wrote:
    didn't you go to a private school though?
    the only thing we ever had was some test at primary school where we had to look at a book which had a coloured page of little spots and a number in a different colour and you had to say what the number was. Just to make sure we weren't colour blind.
    Then in year 7 we had the TB jab. That's all the medical stuff i've ever had at school. :p
    squeal16 wrote:
    nothing! i just remember this girl used to get really upset because she never grew.
    Seriously though, what is wrong with weighing kids in schools? Might stop obesity in kids.
    Ballerina wrote:
    didn't you go to a private school though?
    :yes:
    Seriously though, what is wrong with weighing kids in schools? Might stop obesity in kids.

It can be embarrassing as well. (as was a reactions test we did in Year 9)
    Sofie wrote:
    It can be embarrassing as well. (as was a reactions test we did in Year 9)

But if it's done confidentially in the nurses office, who would know? I think it's a good idea.
    We used to get weighed for all sorts of things, medicals, health education lessons etc.

The worst was a physics lesson were our teacher made us all all go up to the front of the class and get weighed and he shouted our weight out to everyone. Was awful!! I was an obese child and although it was hugely embarrasing it didn't make me diet. Fair enough weigh kids at school for medical reasons, but I don't think it's fair to do experiments like I've mentioned above.
    But if it's done confidentially in the nurses office, who would know? I think it's a good idea.

as long as it was done in private it is fine. But the impression I got from the thread was that kids were queuing up and then the weights were being announced/written on the board.
    I remember we did a body-fat content in P.E. I ended up with something pathetic like 12%. I was a right weed.

I personally don't think that schools should be responsible for kids health. Okay they should educate them on it, and do plenty of P.E. but it's not their responsibility. There's also the problem that weight is not an indicator of health, and you might be making kids feel bad without good reason.
    I remember we did a body-fat content in P.E. I ended up with something pathetic like 12%. I was a right weed.
    i was a skinny minny too :razz: i can actually remember weighing 4 stone
    I think the idea of all kids having a medical at school is a good idea. Our school nurse was a joke, I only ever saw her on Injection Days. And she had a proper nasally voice. But that's beside the point.

I agree with I'm With Stupid too- kids should be educated more on healthy eating.
    lipsy wrote:
    i was a skinny minny too :razz: i can actually remember weighing 4 stone
    In secondry school?
    In secondry school?
    naa in secondry school i was about 5 1/2 for a few years and then it went up to 6 1/2

I personally don't think that schools should be responsible for kids health. Okay they should educate them on it, and do plenty of P.E. but it's not their responsibility. There's also the problem that weight is not an indicator of health, and you might be making kids feel bad without good reason.

I did that and got 33% despite weighing 9 stone at the time.
    i agree

but i can't say i've ever had that problem

but when i lived in new york the school i went to (elementary school ) used to weigh us in front of the class and they said it out loud to the person writing it...this made my friend and i angry :( when i moved to california my elementary school did it in private