Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

£150 to spend...

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
wait for it...on a mattress!!! woo hoo!

Dont know if this is where it should be, sorry if its not.

I need a new mattress, I have flicked through the argos catalogue, but nothing grabbed me. ill be honest, i dont rightly know what i am looking for, and what i need.
can you help, and point me in the right sorta direction please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to a mattress store and lay on all of them :yes:

I don't know how often you have somebody there with you but Ed really prefers the don'tdisturbyourpartner mattresses. They work quite well too... unless you kick the side of the mattress ;)
    Thought it was going to be something like clothes, got me all excited to :hyper:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

I need a new mattress, I have flicked through the argos catalogue, but nothing grabbed me. ill be honest, i dont rightly know what i am looking for, and what i need.
    When I first read it, I thought you meant they gave you 150 to spend on anything you wanted, and you decided to spend it on a mattress (when you didn't need one). But I read it again and got it... :p
    Home Law & Money is the place for this I think.
    go to the mattress shop
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my_name wrote:
    Go to a mattress store and lay on all of them :yes:

I don't know how often you have somebody there with you but Ed really prefers the don'tdisturbyourpartner mattresses. They work quite well too... unless you kick the side of the mattress ;)
    what is this? never heard of it! is it a bizarre and strange american invention?
    koe_182 wrote:
    go to the mattress shop

think of something original...bright spark! :p the springs are hurting me dont you know...
    Bed shop then?:p
    What size is your bed?
    double bed. this one is soooo soft it hurts. i can feel all the springs, and it makes my back hurt.

can you buy a mattress on its own in a bed shop? (i may be showing my blondeness here!)
    I don't see why not.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    double bed. this one is soooo soft it hurts. i can feel all the springs, and it makes my back hurt.

can you buy a mattress on its own in a bed shop? (i may be showing my blondeness here!)
    I think so, but don't actually buy them from there. Just go in, sample them all, find the one you like, get the mattress name and price, then search on Google to find it cheaper.
    ooooh this is why you are only with stupid, and not actually stupid!!
    that is a bloody good idea!:D
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    can you buy a mattress on its own in a bed shop?
    Yes. A few years ago, I was getting a new bed with a metallic frame. I had a mattress at home, so I didn't need a new one. We ordered the bed frame - it arrived okay. Except one problem. The mattress was the wrong bloody size. It was six inches too small :blush:

So, lesson of the day: measure the bed before buying a mattress for it, or you'll end up red-faced too.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    what is this? never heard of it! is it a bizarre and strange american invention?

I don't believe so. Alot of different brands make mattresses like this. Can't remember what they do different with them, but if you go shopping, definatly ask about them! (If you want of course)
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

My parents bed came from Argos, they were quite god actually - my aprents didn't like the first bed so they came and picked it up free of charge and replaced with another .. howver the 2nd turned out ot be damanged and the word damaged was even written onthe plastic cover but no one saw it .. so ended up with a 3rd bed plus a discount ofr the hassle caused by the damaged 2nd bed

I ordered my last matress off the net after trying it in a bed shop - mine is foam and has no springs at all and when ordered comes all rolled up .. you unwrap it and then it takes it's shape .. have to say however it's still too firm for my liking - I sleep on my side so need something a little softer
    Go to a bed shop, lie on them all, note down the name of the one you like and then buy it online. You will save money. :thumb:

I'd recommend Ikea (pocket sprung kingsize for £170? yes please!) but the fact you're only after a mattress makes me think you already have a bedframe, and Ikea mattresses are continental sizes, which are different from UK ones :yes:

The Ikea site does have a good mattress shopping guide on though.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Not sure who invented it but they definately sell them here... don't you remember the advert where a hippo and a little bird get into a bed together and due to the special matress the little bird is not disturbed?

Personally I like to disturb my partner whilst he sleeps by poking him, asking him loudly if he is asleep, putting my cold feet in his warm places, switching sides with him at least once a night etc so it that matress would be wasted on me.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Not sure who invented it but they definately sell them here... don't you remember the advert where a hippo and a little bird get into a bed together and due to the special matress the little bird is not disturbed?

Those ads are Silentnight, for their Miracoil mattresses (I believe in miracoils..etc). But it's nowt more than a gimmick. Pretty much all modern mattresses are non-roll together, and Silentnight are pretty low budget in the scale of things.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:

Yeah babe :) We bought all new matresses last week from Dreams, really comfy and not bad pricing, depending on what you go for. You can just lie on them all and decide how firm you want it :)
    oh, i need a new mattress too seeing as my landlord wont buy me one even tho this ones is blatantly years old. is it worth spending the money on a good one or will a cheap one do?
    Kat_B wrote:
    oh, i need a new mattress too seeing as my landlord wont buy me one even tho this ones is blatantly years old. is it worth spending the money on a good one or will a cheap one do?
    Personally I'd try to invest in a better quality one if you can afford it.

My Dad is a landlord and he read somewhere that one of the best ways to keep your tenants as long as possible is to buy good quality matresses. Your landlord is a fool!
    I may be mad but a couple of months ago we invested in a £250 kingsize mattress from ikea!...but it is soooooo comfy :love: