Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Social question

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Say that somewhere around there's a group of people. You know them all (at least faces and names) and this isn't a place that you're surprised to see them. You know some of them better than others, but none of them enough to call a "friend" (even in the widest sense). They all know each other very well.
The question is: If you went to talk to them, would you be intruding?

It's one question I still don't know the answer to.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well personally i wouldn't go over to talk to a group of aquaintices. I'd only go over to friends. There's nothing wrong with going over though - don't see how it's intruding.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    No. If I know somebody I'll always say hello. Rude not to.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote:
    No. If I know somebody I'll always say hello. Rude not to.
    Well yes, I do say hello if I pass by them. My question is mostly about situations when I have nothing to do but wait, and no one to talk to.
    I'm going to go with you never can tell... Sometimes you'll go over to a group and they'll be as cold as ice, maybe not even meaning to but you just make a 'well, it was good to see you, catch up soon' type comment and break off. Or, they'll be nice and receptive and so glad you're there to bring the sunshine to their lives, etc.
    depends ...
    The question is: If you went to talk to them, would you be intruding?
    If I've got something to say to them, I'll go over and tell them. If not, I just let them be.
    theres nothing to lose by talking to them, just see whats going down and stuff, i'll always talk to people if i know them in the slightest, its only polite.
    Isn't there a chance that they'll be talking about their own stuff (personal or not) that they don't really want to talk to me about, but will pretend to be fine with me being there just to be "polite"? That's what I'm afraid of, I guess.
    There is that chance. But, people are likely to be nice to you whilst being polite so, if you notice that you're a spare part- you can make your exit, if you never notice then- no harm done because people will still be nice nad polite.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Well yes, I do say hello if I pass by them. My question is mostly about situations when I have nothing to do but wait, and no one to talk to.

Chat to them, as katralla said you'll soon realise if you're a 'spare part'.
    Weekender Offender 
    you should at least say hello. otherwise they'll think that you're rude and ignoring them
    lipsy wrote:
    you should at least say hello. otherwise they'll think that you're rude and ignoring them
    Is that even if I've seen them earlier the same day, at the same place, and said "hello" then?
    I'd go over if I had something tosay or fancied a chat. I can't see it be intruding, unless you knw them on bad terms
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I'd go over if I had something tosay or fancied a chat. I can't see it be intruding, unless you knw them on bad terms

I totally agree. :yes:
    Is that even if I've seen them earlier the same day, at the same place, and said "hello" then?
    you should say hello to people if you know them. then if you all start saying hi, then next time you could say how are you etc. and make friends.
    No, I don't see it as intruding. Maybe it's beacuase of my cultural background, but if you know people you are totally entitled to go and talk to them. It depends a lot on what you say though. If you keep the conversation on casual terms -nothing too personal- you should be fine.

As for fear of interrupting if they're talking about something personal that they don't want you to hear about - then you'll notice cause they'll change the subject or something. And really, if it happens that you are interrupting, it's not that terrible is it? It's only something circumstantial.
    I'm trying to avoid making people think I'm (generally, not in a particular instance) an annoyance or that I "stick" to people when I shouldn't, given that I don't know them.