Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

body fat calculations?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right, i was at the gym today having an induction and they took my body fat. it was 11.6%. this shocked me so i checked it at home, this read 20%. the discrepancy confused me, so i did some internet ones, these gave 8-21%. which is right????

the gym and home one took my height weight and age, the gym one had metal plates for my whol foot, the home one just my thumbs. the internet ones height weight and various measurements. im so confused. i have an eating disorder which i thought i was mostly in control of but this is messing with my head.

does anyone know anything about these tests and which are lilkely to be accurate and to within what percent?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The most accurate way to measure bf is under water weighing.
    The way they electronically measure your body fat is by a measurement of resistance. With your thumbs, it measures fat in your upper body only, with your feet, in your lower body. It is the nature of electricity to behave in such a manner. That explains the difference.
    BMi is different to body fat percentage.
    Also maybe it would be an idea to find out what the average healthy body fat percentage is. I think that it isn't a bad thing to have a small percentage, so whilst that number may sound awfully large to you, maybe in reality it isn't actually that terrible?

does anyone get what i mean?
    well, i dont htink i can do the underwater weighing.

the healthy range is apparently 21-33% but i just cant imagine being able to live with myself like that if the gym scales are right. 'risk' fat levels are below 9%. on the plus side, i havent weighed myself at home since this incident (i was doin it maybe 3 or 4 times a day, a lot more if i had a bp) because im not gonna let myself get further into this. im not adding another type of body obsession to the list.
    kasia wrote:
    well, i dont htink i can do the underwater weighing.

the healthy range is apparently 21-33% but i just cant imagine being able to live with myself like that if the gym scales are right. 'risk' fat levels are below 9%. on the plus side, i havent weighed myself at home since this incident (i was doin it maybe 3 or 4 times a day, a lot more if i had a bp) because im not gonna let myself get further into this. im not adding another type of body obsession to the list.

Ah, so are you more worried about this figure being too low or too high? 

are you planning on visiting the gym regularily? If so, i‘d suggest that you do more strength and toning exercises than weightloss exercises。 That way you can still benefit from getting healthier :)
    I thought the proper way to measure your body fat was with those plier looking things where they crab claw you in your belly, thigh, arm and sother places. Or is that too old school.
    Skin callipers.
    Ah thanks. :) Not a whole lot more discouraging than somebody grabbing your fat in a pinchers, imo :p
    kasia wrote:
    right, i was at the gym today having an induction and they took my body fat. it was 11.6%. this shocked me so i checked it at home, this read 20%. the discrepancy confused me, so i did some internet ones, these gave 8-21%. which is right????

the gym and home one took my height weight and age, the gym one had metal plates for my whol foot, the home one just my thumbs. the internet ones height weight and various measurements. im so confused. i have an eating disorder which i thought i was mostly in control of but this is messing with my head.

does anyone know anything about these tests and which are lilkely to be accurate and to within what percent?

Try the calculator at http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/healthcalc.php
    none of these online calcs work, best bet is a pair of fat calipers, either get it done at the gym or learn to do it yourself I would, they only about £12 a set.
    Sammy2006 wrote:

:lol::lol: That thing just told me I have 36% body fat. According to the fat claws I had a good 7 months ago, thats not exactly near acurate (surprisingly/luckily) :p