Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why do you support the team you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The obvious answer is that you live there, but there are plenty of other reasons for supporting a football team. So how did you end up supporting your team?

I was born into Man City, because my dad was a fan, and so were a few other family members, probably because some of them used to live in Manchester.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I was born into Man City, because my dad was a fan, and so were a few other family members, probably because some of them used to live in Manchester.

Reason I support Aberdeen :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reason I support Aberdeen :thumb:

:thumb:

They're my local team, and I was born in the glorious year of 83. I've Pittodrie as the desktop at my work, whenever a fellow Don phones me up I've the European song as my ringtone, I'm absolutely devoted.

My Dad's a Falkirk fan, my Mam's a Celtic fan and my older brother (who I'm totally ashamed of) is a Hearts fan.

I'm the black sheep :yes:
    I was born not far from Leeds, my dad and his family are all from Leeds and I had a season ticket at a young age going to all the games with my dad. Leeds through and through and will be forever.

I know a lad (i said know not mates with) who used to support Leeds as a young 'un and now he's Man U through and through :lol: fucking glory supporting MUPPET
    my dad supports chelsea.. so i support chelsea :D no other reason!!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I was born in Southampton, lived in Southampton for 7 years and my parents have always supported Southampton.

Who else?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So if pretty much everyone supports a team based on where they were born or lived most of their lives, and where someone is born is completely based on luck, then what's the point in saying the team you support is better than the ohers? If we suppose there is one team that's better than all others, the only reason you'd support it is out of chance.
    Why is the sky blue? (Obviously not Man City blue, that would be horrendous ;) )

It's hard to say, but I guess I was furst interested back in 1977 when they beat liverpool in the cup. Anyone who could beat them was obviously worth noticing and as many of my mates were Liverpool fans...
    Because it's my home team
    A friend in primary school followed the Arsenal and convinced me to do the same, plus I enjoyed being different. That brought the total to two Arsenal in a room full of ManYoo and Blackburn.

94/95 was a living hell. :(
    Cardiff is where im from so once i got into football i went for them. Also keep an eye on Exeter because the ground is less than 5 minutes walk from my house.
    i support the town im from.

been a passionate burnley fan since my first game aged 4. have hardly missed a game since and it would take a very lot for me to ever miss a game i guess.

up the clarets.
    So if pretty much everyone supports a team based on where they were born or lived most of their lives, and where someone is born is completely based on luck, then what's the point in saying the team you support is better than the ohers? If we suppose there is one team that's better than all others, the only reason you'd support it is out of chance.
    Why do people say that their country or town is the best? It's the same thing. You only experience supporting one team, so your team is going to be the best to you. It's going to have the best story, the best fans etc. Of course all other fans forget that Man City went down to division 2 and still averaged an attendance of 28,708 a game, so we actually have the best fans. ;)
    Why do people say that their country or town is the best? It's the same thing. You only experience supporting one team, so your team is going to be the best to you.
    Exactly. I find it absurd that people support something (a team, a political party, an idea...) without considering the opposition. It happens though...
    Though it's not exactly the same about countries. You can't say that countries normally compete with each other.
    Why is the sky blue? (Obviously not Man City blue, that would be horrendous ;) )

:p It's much better than red, tbh...

Plymouth - I support them because they're my local team. Actually got accused of being a glory supporter a few years ago when I mentioned that I support them.:yeees:

Manchester City - it all started a few years ago. I wanted to support a Premiership team but didn't want to support a team like Arsenal or Manure because I know that if I did, then I'd be branded a glory supporter. Also, I wanted to be different to everyone else and my favourite colour is blue.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Born and bred in Leeds - plus my dad took me as a kid.

If you need to ask the question, then you'd never understand the answer.

It's not a matter of thinking a team is better than the others, it's a matter of wanting them to be better than the others.
    It's Rangers & Arsenal for me.

I like them because i feel a sense of joy and excitement watching them i don't get with anything else.

I think with football, even with people who support teams outside their home town/city, you feel some strongly held connection to them.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    It's not a matter of thinking a team is better than the others, it's a matter of wanting them to be better than the others.
    A fitting and acceptable answer! :thumb:
    Roy Keane forced me to.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    My Dad's a Falkirk fan, my Mam's a Celtic fan and my older brother (who I'm totally ashamed of) is a Hearts fan.

I'm the black sheep :yes:

My Dad's a Greenock Morton fan (Although his BIG team in Rangers), My Mum and youngest bro are Celts and my other bro is a Don.

I'm the Blue Sheep.

I was born in the Glasgow area and kinda fell into supporting the mighty Gers. Strange considering mostly everyone else in the family (Uncles,cousins, etc..) were Green and White.

Still makes for an interesting match day.
    how come people have 2 teams??

i could never support any other team than my own.

im too proud.
    I support Manchester United, evern though Ive never been to Manchester I like to pose around in London in my chavie Manchester United top proving to the whold world Im a sad little glory hunter, with no ambition other that to support the team that wins, and no real feel for a local team.
    Some times I get hassel for this I dont know why no one ever complained when in the past I supported Arsenal and Liverpool when they were winning.
    Anyway it looks like Ill be supporting chelsea now as they appear to be the team on top.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I support Manchester United, evern though Ive never been to Manchester I like to pose around in London in my chavie Manchester United top proving to the whold world Im a sad little glory hunter, with no ambition other that to support the team that wins, and no real feel for a local team.
    Some times I get hassel for this I dont know why no one ever complained when in the past I supported Arsenal and Liverpool when they were winning.
    Anyway it looks like Ill be supporting chelsea now as they appear to be the team on top.
    :lol:
    I'm a Chelsea supporter, as are most of my family members. When my uncle first came to the UK from Italy in the 1960s, he was on his own, living in between Wimbledon/Fulham, that sort of area, and every weekend he would take a small trip to watch Chelsea play, and that's how it started.
    I'm British and as such I crave disappointment. And I so happens that Southampton are my local team. Sorted.
    koe_182 wrote:
    how come people have 2 teams??

im too proud.

I thought you were a closet Accy Stanley fan ;)

Also are you Bill Bailey in disguise Thunderstruck?
    Renzo wrote:
    Also are you Bill Bailey in disguise Thunderstruck?

Sadly not but he does sum it up very well don't you think?
    Renzo wrote:
    I thought you were a closet Accy Stanley fan ;)

haha im not a fan i just watch them when there is no burnley game or its a away game i cant get to for some reason! OK!

BURNLEY TILL I DIE

thank you very much
    My Dad's a Greenock Morton fan (Although his BIG team in Rangers)

Doesn't really say a lot for Morton does it? :razz:

Although some Tim at work the other day asked who my big team was, cue the dirtiest look you've ever seen :yeees:
    koe_182 wrote:

Agreed.

Especially when it's Scottish people who support an English team (Liverpool seems to crop up quite a bit), and then act like they're proper fans when the trophies start rolling in e.g "We won the cup!" etc.

Yeah, it's becausr the SPL sucks, but it might not suck just quite as much if these "fans" spent money actually going to watch the odd game, instead of spending the equivalent on scarves/replica kits/Premiership Plus, in a vain attempt to convince themsleves that they count as true fans.

"I'm Dundee and Chelsea and AC Milan and Barca till I die!" doesn't reall have the same ring to it.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Although some Tim at work the other day asked who my big team was, cue the dirtiest look you've ever seen :yeees:

lol

Edited to add : So what was your answer? :p