Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What if....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What if you were told to pick one massive thing that's wrong in this world and given $10 billion to fix it, what would you choose to fix?

I was watching an episode of West Wing and this question came up, and I thought it was interesting.

Do you look to the future?
Do you deal with with something current and immediate?

I always thought if I had the power, that I would eliminate all the scum in the world that is stopping progress, all the warmongers and terrorist cells... But is that playing God (if I believed God exists)?

I dunno...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    $10 billion, no where near enough.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Aye.

The big problems like world hunger etc $10b would be a drop in the ocean.
    Yep. What can you do with $10bn? That's just about enough to make the sequel to Superman. I'd just buy Man City and give them all the money instead.
    I would spend it on research to be able to create a blachole, go in space, create one andmake a planet disappear then turn to the worl and tell them that if world peace can be achieve the all planet will be destroyed... I know fucked up idea, but the only idea that could achieve world peace...
    turlough wrote:
    $10 billion, no where near enough.
    I think you'd be surprised. $10 billion well spent could mean water santitation for the third world.

Which, incidentally is what I'd do with it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I would spend it on research to be able to create a blachole, go in space, create one andmake a planet disappear then turn to the worl and tell them that if world peace can be achieve the all planet will be destroyed... I know fucked up idea, but the only idea that could achieve world peace...
    It wouldn't work man. The USA and Russia used to threaten each other by saying they have a weapon that could destroy the whole world. I don't see it having changed much.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think you'd be surprised. $10 billion well spent could mean water santitation for the third world.

Which, incidentally is what I'd do with it.
    And by the third world, I assume you mean south east England? They could do with a bit of water down there.
    $10 Billion or £10 Billion???

Well either way, been British i would put that money to making Britain better, create more jobs, lower unemployment, reduce if not eradicate poverty in the UK and make the homeless population disappear (No, not kill them all, deal with the problem properly), etc. Maybe it wouldnt be enough to make a difference...but i would have ago.

Or i would cut and run, take the money, buy an island or country and rule it like a living God with lots of sex slaves.
    And by the third world, I assume you mean south east England? They could do with a bit of water down there.
    :lol: Maybe. I was thinking more africa and the indian subcontinent.
    I would fix the problem of me not having any decent clothes or a car.
    *adds a few more people to his list of people to eliminate...
    :D
    I don't know what I'd do but I'd use it on something immediate, happening now.

Everyone seems to either live in the past, not willing to move on or the future, wishing there life away. What happened to "Seize the day!"? ;)
    I would be selfish and give a slice of it to the 'ButtonMoon Trust.' I would then give lots of money to the charities I already support, since it would make an amazing difference to them. Going to agree with subject13. I would use the money for the UK. Might seem stupid seeing that we live in luxury compared to millions of people. I would use the rest to start my own political party. $10 billion can be stretched far.
    migpilot wrote:
    What if you were told to pick one massive thing that's wrong in this world and given $10 billion to fix it, what would you choose to fix?

It could have been a reality if we didn't sign the Kyoto treaty. We've spent far more than $10 billion implementing the Kyoto treaty and we could have used that money to provide clean drinking water to everybody in the developing world...
    Yeah, but we wouldn't have, and you know it.

Kyoto is important too- the famines and droughts are as a direct result of us raping the planet for corporate gain, after all.
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, but we wouldn't have, and you know it.

Kyoto is important too- the famines and droughts are as a direct result of us raping the planet for corporate gain, after all.

There were famines and droughts long before industrialisation...

Preservation of the rainforest and of the environment is important. I don't however believe that spending billions on fairly slight reductions in carbon dioxide emissions will bring any tangible benefits. The astronomical high cost of Kyoto simply isn't worth it. Fairly soon we'll start using alternatives to fossil fuels anyway and the global warming theory isn't indisputable. And even if it is mostly accurate Kyoto is hardly going to reverse the effects, it'll barely make any impact. If climate change occurs on the scale the scaremongers are predicting and accusations that they're exaggerating prove false humans will survive through adapting, not through trying to reverse the effects.

If the signatories to Kyoto scrapped the treaty tomorrow and said they'd commit to providing clean drinking water to everybody in Africa instead of spending billions implementing the treaty I don't think there would be any impact on climate change. But we'd have helped millions of people instead.
    ten billion quid is estimated to be what the uk stoners society spend anualy on illegal substances.
    ten billion quid is estimated to be what the uk stoners society spend anualy on illegal substances.
    See, if it was legal, they wouldn't have to spend so much, and that money could go towards helping injured puppies or something.
    \
    In my own life time there has been a tangible change in the weather in the UK, in my home town. That's not a normal natural climate cycle.
    If the signatories to Kyoto scrapped the treaty tomorrow and said they'd commit to providing clean drinking water to everybody in Africa instead of spending billions implementing the treaty I don't think there would be any impact on climate change. But we'd have helped millions of people instead.

The Kyoto agreement is a good and beneficial thing. And yet you would like to see it gone. I wonder why that is.

Indeed, I wonder why don't we choose to find the $10bn from elsewhere. For instance from defence budgets. Given that the planet spends hundreds of billions of dollars a year in fucking weapons you would think we could take a few billions from there instead of getting rid of the Kyoto agreement. Wouldn't you?
    It is true there were famines and droughts since forever. Hardly new thing, we just have tv to watch them happen now.

Though i would like to see more ice caps again. Where else will the penguins and polar bears live?
    subject13 wrote:
    It is true there were famines and droughts since forever. Hardly new thing, we just have tv to watch them happen now.

Though i would like to see more ice caps again. Where else will the penguins and polar bears live?

I hear polar bear paws are exceptionally tasty!! :chin:
    honestly i wouldnt change a thing, i'd put it all into some kind of research like space exploration or a mission further into the ocean than anyone has ever been
    subject13 wrote:

when theres a disaster nowadays though ...it effects a massive chunk of humainty cos of population sizes and of course has global economic impact ...making these events a lot more serious than in past times. it doesn't help that lack of wisdom means many places are inhabited by large populations that just shouldnt be. mud flats ...flood plains and coastal areas ...places are forefathers were sensible enough to avaoid.
    as for ice caps ...they are far more important to our survival than that of a few animals.
    the ice caps reflect huge ammounts of heat and light back into space ...the smaller they get ...the hotter we get.
    I'd get a new wardrobe, private jet, and a penthouse in Manhattan.

Seriously though... I'd improve social facilities such as hospitals and schools.
    cut beer tax.
    There were famines and droughts long before industrialisation...

There were, you are right, but the fact that droughts are becoming longer, drier, and more widespread is pretty much agreed.
    The astronomical high cost of Kyoto simply isn't worth it.

Making industry act responsibly and efficiently is worth the price.

And as for Kyoto, the little things will change a lot, at no cost. Turning computers and lights and TVs off when you leave the room doesn't cost money- it saves it. Leaving offices turned off, instead of lit up like Blackpool on illuminations night, saves money, not costs it. Turning your telly off instead of onto standby saves money, not costs it.

The high polluting businesses use the cost as a whitewash. The fact is they can't be arsed to do what it takes, its got nothing to do with finances.
    the global warming theory isn't indisputable

No, but the smog hovering over most industrialised countries is pretty indisputable.

Unless you think pumping all that crap into the atmosphere is good?
    sophia wrote:
    If you honestly believe that climate change is not a result of human behaviour, specifically carbon emissions, then you're living in a dream world.
    two words come to mind ...rome and fiddles.