Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Piercing advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, i got my lip pierced yesterday. she didnt give me anything to use to wash it, or tell me what to wash it with. i dont have a clue what to do, ive been using salt water after i eat, and in the morning and night but is this ok? i wish i had of found out about it more before i got it done. i only had my ears done before this, and that was ages. also im 14 incase that makes a difference.

Comments

• Options
    She obviously sounds like an irresponsible and badly trained body piercer. I cannot believe she pierced a 14 year old, without parental consent, and not only that, didn't give you any advice about cleaning/healing. What did she pierce you with? How did she do it?

As for cleaning, you should clean once or twice a day (any more than that and you can cause irritation) with a cotton bud and some boiled water with a quarter of a teaspoon of salt per mug of water. Pure Sea Salt is best, but if you don't have any, table salt will do.
    It should heal in around 4-6weeks, but they can take months - it all depends on each person. I wouldn't take out the piercing for a least 3 months.

I strongly recommend you never go back there again, and in future do some research into the piercing studios in your area (BEFORE committing yourself to a piercing!) - always ask people for recommendations for studios and piercers.
    Oh, and wait until you're 16 next time :thumb:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    She obviously sounds like an irresponsible and badly trained body piercer. I cannot believe she pierced a 14 year old, without parental consent, and not only that, didn't give you any advice about cleaning/healing. What did she pierce you with? How did she do it?

As for cleaning, you should clean once or twice a day (any more than that and you can cause irritation) with a cotton bud and some boiled water with a quarter of a teaspoon of salt per mug of water. Pure Sea Salt is best, but if you don't have any, table salt will do.
    It should heal in around 4-6weeks, but they can take months - it all depends on each person. I wouldn't take out the piercing for a least 3 months.

I strongly recommend you never go back there again, and in future do some research into the piercing studios in your area (BEFORE committing yourself to a piercing!) - always ask people for recommendations for studios and piercers.
    Oh, and wait until you're 16 next time :thumb:
    i just want to back up EVERYTHING llora has said! and please please please dont ever get anything done there again!
    if it starts looking a bit funny, get yourself down the doctors.
  • Options
    http://www.pierceit.co.uk/piercing_info/aftercare The aftercare guid eis very good, and has a lot of information about peircings in general. And don't go back there, whatever you do. If it starts to look seriously infected, go to your GP.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    There are no laws that say you have to be a certain age to be pierced in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Although many piercers may ask for parental consent if you are under 16. In Scotland you have to have written parental consent to be pierced if you're under 16.

Reputable piercers and tattooists should abide by the code of practice as set out by the Tattoo and Piercing Industry Union, which states that:

"Comprehensive written & verbal aftercare should be given for tattoos &/or piercing. Make sure customers fully understand the advice given. Particular care should be given to the avoidance of infection during the healing process."

If this hasn't been done, it might be a good idea to see another piercer for further advice. If they're good, they'll be able to take a look at the piercing and check to see if it's been done properly, and that no harm will come from it.
  • Options
    You'd think such a dangerous practise as body piercing would be more highly regulated.

I agree with Ilora....ive used salt water on all of my piercings and ive yet to have any serious problems.

It would be good to know what you were pierced with though.
    Hope it heals well and you take more care if you decide to get pierced again.
    Peace
  • Options
    This is a bit unrelated, but deals with piercings and I just thought I would share with anybody interested. I found the best way to help when you've got an infection in a piercing.

I had one since November. It would go away for a couple days but then come back. Hurt bad, didn't look it, but it hurt on the inside.

I tried what the doctor suggested, I asked a couple pharmacists and tried what they suggested, asked on here, tried the suggestions, the pain always came back.

Eventually, I was talking to somebody and we were sharing piercing stories, she said how she used to have a naval piercing that had gotten infected real bad, as did her friends, she cleaned it with nothing more than warm water and a scentless/colorless antibacterial handsoap. It cleared up shortly.

So I tried it and I've been infection free since. Yay happy ending.

Granted I'm sure that would taste like crap in your mouth.

And as for lip piercings, I was told to use mouthwash also. No more than you would on an average day, too much is never good, but just like don't forget to use it. Twice a day.
  • Options
    My brother got his lip pierced and they advised him to keep away from spicy foods for a while, clean twice a day with salt water and to use mouthwash.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    My brother got his lip pierced and they advised him to keep away from spicy foods for a while, clean twice a day with salt water and to use mouthwash.

:thumb:

No oral sex either ;)
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    on a piercing related subject (not wanting to hi-jack but I don't see it worthy of being a whole new thread) I'm wanting to change my clit thing for something a bit more interesting but places don't seem to list 'suitable for clit piercings' along with nose/navel :p is there anything I should REALLY avoid or can I pick something pretty? :)
    Take a look HERE :thumb:
  • Options
    What happens with a dangly one when you pee? Do you have to pat it dry? Will the pee rust it?
  • Options
    If your pee can rust surgical steel, then i think your piercing is the least of your worries. lol