Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US region DVDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, some DVDs I am wanting are only available in US region format (NSTC i think it's called).

Obviously on British DVD players they won't work, but will the same problem occur on PCs? Is there any means of playing them without purchasing a US DVD player? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I think PC's are region programmed as well - my boyfriends laptop came from USA and it wouldn't play UK discs til we altered the region, we can only change it twice though.

If you search Google, there are plenty of places that'll give you instructions on how to make your DVD player multiregional. It had mine, and mines an old ASDA brand one :) I've done most of my families as well.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If the only problem is the NTSC signal and not region lock, then it should work fine on a PC anyway. If there's a region lock too, you need an unlocked DVD drive.
  • Options
    its not the fact that its NTSC that it wont play, your dvd player will be region locked to Region 2 (which is the UK/Europe one) and USA is Region 1. Most dvd players can be made region free if you search, some however cant, well not easily anyway.

some british dvd players are multiregion from the box.

usually a rule of thumb is...cheaper the player, more it will play.

strangely enough
  • Options
    Cheers...quite bizarre multi-regional isn't set to default!
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:

usually a rule of thumb is...cheaper the player, more it will play.

And easier it is to unlock it seems.

My mum and boyfriend both spent about £30 - £40 on their DVD players. Had a bit of fiddly button pressing to deal with changing the region on those.

Mine - £15.98. Opened the disc tray, pressed about three buttons, selected region 0 and boom. Done. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    I've imported a shit load of American dvds. Some were region 0 and played on anything, some where region 1 but still played on my dvd player and the rest told me to fuck off with my region 2 player bollocks. So I use my PC.

On my PC, I can switch region 5/6 times before it locks. Given that I have about three piece of kit that can play region 2 dvds, I just leave it set to region 1.

Most TVs can handle PAL and NTSC, I know mine can and it's hardly at the bleeding edge of technology.