Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Converting music files to MP3

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to make a compilation CD and I believe the most reliable format for this is MP3. However I have a lot of music files that are either Realplayer or WMA. Looked at a few links for programs which convert these files on the Computer Active! website but they are not very reliable. What in your opinion is the best way to convert files such as these to MP3?

Comments

• Options
    There are dozens of programs on download.com. Just search for WMA converter or something similar, choose a well-rated program, download it, find a crack or a serial and Robert's your mother's brother.
  • Options
    well itunes does wma to mp3
  • Options
    Decent burning software (Nero?) should let you make an audio CD from .rm or .wma files, rather than converting them to MP3. All you need are the relevant plugins.

If you start converting between lossy formats then your CD will sound shit.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why use a CD when you can convert from one type to another directly?
  • Options
    Robert's your mother's brother.

Thats a new one!:yum:
  • Options
    Why use a CD when you can convert from one type to another directly?

I want to put the files on a CD so I can play them on a radio at work.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start with Nero first. Currently been using Sonic Recordnow! which is somewhat fussy about file types. Realplayer is good I think but you need to sign up for premium membership, which I'm a bit unwilling to do at this stage.
  • Options
    I want to make a compilation CD and I believe the most reliable format for this is MP3. However I have a lot of music files that are either Realplayer or WMA. Looked at a few links for programs which convert these files on the Computer Active! website but they are not very reliable. What in your opinion is the best way to convert files such as these to MP3?

everytime you convert from one format to the next you'll lose some kind of quality.

Best to start withthe higest possible quality which is the original CD's
  • Options
    Ok, I've sorted this out now. In the end, I ripped some of the files from the CDs to Windows Media and got something from download.com which has helped a lot. And the sound quality of my compilation is great as well.

It'd just make more sense if CD-burning programs supported Realplayer (which is the format I tend to like to use) in the first place. But that's life
  • Options
    cdex.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net

Probably the best cd ripper out there