Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

In case you didnt know, the drug classifications arent based on facts!

The parliamentary science and technology select committee has published a report saying that the drug classification system is basically based on what the tabloids wanted and there is no risk assessment or evaluation of harm. Shock horror!

http://society.guardian.co.uk/drugsandalcohol/story/0,,1833889,00.html
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not surprised, i thought that anyway. I am sure most of us did.
    yeah that makes fucking good sense, a set of arseholes.

i wonder what there reasons for using tabloids instead of the facts are..
    some things never change.

4959sh6.jpg
    bastards
    bastards
    in the uk in 1968 the wooton report was presented to the government ...who had commisioned it.
    it said that there was no scientific or medical or moral reason for continuing to keep cannabis illegal.what did the government do?
    upped the penalties.
    I think <http://www.heroinhelper.com/curious/index.shtml&gt; did a good job of explaining and examplifying this whole issue.
    For almost everyone, heroin is a mythic substance. Unfortunately, real laws are created based upon these mythic notions. Real humans spends real years in real jails because our culture judges them on myth rather than fact. The degree of punishment is the only difference between the junkie doing ten years in prison today and the mid-wife being burned at the stake in the 17th century.

There are facts about heroin that are so contrary to common knowledge that most people would simply not believe them, regardless of how well documented.

* It is common knowledge that all people who use heroin become junkies.
    * All junkies are slow-moving, dim-witted, bottom feeders.
    * Heroin is an extremely potent drug that drug addicts use as a last resort when none of the other drugs will do it for them.
    in the uk in 1968 the wooton report was presented to the government ...who had commisioned it.
    it said that there was no scientific or medical or moral reason for continuing to keep cannabis illegal.what did the government do?
    upped the penalties.

spoil sports
    spoil sports
    trouble is ...cannabis worth many millions of quids is sold in the uk ...
    tax free and in cash.
    the people bringing in millions of quids worth a year aint from some sink estate.
    they live in very nice areas ...are mostly respectable on the outside ...
    send their kids to good schools.
    i think it benefits the economies of many nations to have such a black market where tax free cash is swimming around somehow.
    i think it would do even better for economy if it were legal, apart from those who are black market dealing and making a few quid. you reckon if it were legal there would still be a black market ...like there is for fags
    i havent been to amsterdam yet, but i read one of your posts saying it was 10euros or something for a gram? whats all that about then? stupid tax or what?
    hahaha all that economics stuff. Honestly, that's the best plan going.
    The stock market crashes, bad. Like great depression 2 bad. The governments legalize drugs. The people all depressed about losing all their money will start using the drugs and unknowingly bring back the economy with the taxes. :lol:
    upped the penalties.

That report will now be out of date, there is no denying that for some cannabis can be a dangerous drug. But that's all the more reason to have legal supply.

The tax issue is a very minor one actually, it is more about changing peoples attitudes to the Police (the current one I think is very socially damaging) and seperating normal people from the black market.
    i havent been to amsterdam yet, but i read one of your posts saying it was 10euros or something for a gram? whats all that about then? stupid tax or what?

Sounds about right, thats about £22 for an eighth - going rate for good weed innit?
    suprise suprise

The cannabis itself isnt taxed, because its not strictly a legal trade as such (its a grey area) but I presume the cafe's have to pay business taxes.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sounds about right, thats about £22 for an eighth - going rate for good weed innit?

i still think its a bit dear. does it go down a lot when buying in bulk then?
    £22 roughly for a good 1/8th of good green isn't that expensive at all.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Have you seen the front page of today's Independent? Link to the article here.

The beginning of the article is quoted below -
    Britain's antiquated drugs laws stand accused of failing millions of people because they bear little or no relationship to the harm caused by everything from a hit of heroin to a seemingly harmless pint of lager.

The Home Office has been warned by its own senior advisers that alcohol and tobacco are more harmful to the nation's health than the Class A drugs LSD and ecstasy.

Research by medical experts, who analysed 20 substances for their addictive qualities, social harm and physical damage, produced strikingly different results from the Government's drug classification system.

The most interesting bit is the ranking in terms of relevant harm - i'd be interested to know what the criteria used is, but you can find the ranking here and this is what they say about it -
    This is the first ranking based upon scientific evidence of harm to both individuals and society. It was devised by government advisers - then ignored by ministers because of its controversial findings
    "Conformity before conscience, uniformity before faith"
    The list is strange and takes no account of the risks involved in the illegality of the drug.

Legal diamorphine taken at known doses is FAR FAR safer than solvents for example.

And the idea that cannabis is more dangerous than solvents is also bonkers

Heres how they rank them;

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmsctech/1031/103110.htm
    i said ten quid ...about fifteen euors ...thats around two hundred and eighty pounds an ounce!
    bongbudda wrote:
    That report will now be out of date, there is no denying that for some cannabis can be a dangerous drug. But that's all the more reason to have legal supply.

the most comprehensive study ever undertaken was in victorian times by the india commision. it still stands today as does the wooton report.
    both mention the risks. in the victorian one it reffered to those with 'feeble' minds being at risk but ...told the government that it was syphilis that was the cause of the mental breakdowns that had been happening which cleared the weed ...the government then turned a blind eye to the troops indulging as they were happy with the scientific truths ...that rea;ly do stand up to todays studies.
    yeah i heard about the possible reclassification on drugs the other day and completely agree with it
    i personally feel that alcohol is more harmful than ecstasy; when i drink alcohol in excess i black out, lose control of my limbs and mouth, do and say things i dont mean, vomit and get the worst hangovers. on occasion i have woken up in an unfamiliar place- obviously it is all my fault for drinking so much but the effects of alcohol are extremely dangerous, short term or long term
    and then there's ecstasy- when i take a few pills i feel happy, dance about a bit and hallucinate slightly- but at all times i know what im doing, and where i am-im in complete control. the only realy danger with E is getting dehydrated, so obviously i drink water.
    i feel it's high time the government reviewed its ranking of drugs, but feel that it never will because of the social taboos surrounding ecstasy and other drugs.
    it never will because of the social taboos surrounding ecstasy and other drugs.
    no ...more like the state like to have their narco dollars and quids to fund illegal enterprises.
    opium has fuded many wars and it just so happens that we have invaded the main country for opium supply.
    before we invaded the taliban had almost reduced the crop to zero but we soon put things right and got a bumper crop back on the market.
    Sure it's all about money all the time.
    the only realy danger with E is getting dehydrated, so obviously i drink water.

Except of course the risks of stroke, heart attack etc. Plus of course the risk of long term neuron damage.
    Not to mention drinking so much water you drowned yourself...No drug is safe, not even legal ones. They all have some effect on you or your health after all.