Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abortion Cost

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

Having wondered for a while, and in case of course i'm ever in this position i was wondering if in the UK you have to pay for abortions or can you get them free with the NHS? I don't see how a young girl can pay hundreds of pounds for such a procedure if this is how much it costs.

This may be an upsetting thread to some who have experienced such things so i apologise in advance, it's just this is the best place for great answers and advice.

Comments

• Options
    its free on the NHS, although 2 doctors have to agree its in the womans best interests, and they wont do it an unlimited amount of times.
  • Options
    It's free on the NHS, however, depending on where you live, the time between seeing a doctor and having the termination can vary, and time is crucial, especially to someone who is further along than they think.

Some GPs have contracts with the two main abortion providers, Marie Stopes and BPAs, whereby the healthcare authority pays for the abortion, and the woman has her consultation and treatment in the private setting. Depending on the health authority some women can wait between 1 - 4 weeks for the consultation, but the termination is normally done within the week.
  • Options
    According to a recent episode of Emmerdale, a private abortion is about £500..
  • Options
    According to a recent episode of Emmerdale, a private abortion is about £500..

Pretty much there abouts, a surgical abortion under 12 weeks with no sedation is about £510, and the price goes up with increasing gestation and anaesthetic options. From 19 weeks +, a person would be charged £1395... It's a very lucrative business.
  • Options
    i thought the first 2 abortions (or some number) you have can be done on the NHS then you usually have to go privately for any more? Thats if you can get them on the NHS in the first place though.
  • Options
    In order to have an abortion, are you required to go through your GP, or can you just go to a Marie Stopes clinic without going through your GP?
  • Options
    private abortions are expensive, costs do depend tho' on how far gone you are.
    on the nhs it is free, and if you don't have much money, its definitly your best bet. :yes:
    and they wont do it an unlimited amount of times
    i have known them do it a fair few times tbh.
    it really all depends on the situation - but they will not allow anyone to use an abortion countless times as an alternative to contraception.:no:
  • Options
    or can you just go to a Marie Stopes clinic without going through your GP?
    :yes:
  • Options
    It really varies from area to area, depending on the funding that the healthcare authority gives/gets. I have actually never been sure whether the 2 free abortions is true or not, I've heard differing things. Problem with waiting on the NHS is the waiting itself, and days can seem very long when you're having pregnancy symptoms and don't want to be pregnant, some people I know have been lucky and only had to wait for 2 - 3 weeks, but others are not, especially when they have a GP who doesn't entirely agree with what they're doing. While financial costs do contribute towards how someone would go into abortion care, the waiting period is also vital.

Going OT, I know of a woman who went to her GP wanting an abortion. She already had 4 children, so when she went to her GP saying she was pregnant, his face lit up. She then said she wasn't happy about this, and his face changed dramatically. She kept going back for the paperwork, but it kept getting 'lost'. She then told the secetary she wouldn't leave until she was seen, so she walked into the office, the GP had a massive grin on his face and said to her, "I'm pleased to tell you the test results are back and you're pregnant! Congratulations!" She eventually got the abortion on the NHS - she had a positive test 3 days before her period was due, due to the delays, she was over 13 weeks pregnant when she had the abortion. Stories like this aren't isolated incidents.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Going OT, I know of a woman who went to her GP wanting an abortion. She already had 4 children, so when she went to her GP saying she was pregnant, his face lit up. She then said she wasn't happy about this, and his face changed dramatically. She kept going back for the paperwork, but it kept getting 'lost'. She then told the secetary she wouldn't leave until she was seen, so she walked into the office, the GP had a massive grin on his face and said to her, "I'm pleased to tell you the test results are back and you're pregnant! Congratulations!" She eventually got the abortion on the NHS - she had a positive test 3 days before her period was due, due to the delays, she was over 13 weeks pregnant when she had the abortion. Stories like this aren't isolated incidents.
    but surley for a GP thats unethical malpractice
  • Options
    In order to have an abortion, are you required to go through your GP, or can you just go to a Marie Stopes clinic without going through your GP?

Yep, or BPAS. A woman's GP won't find out unless the woman says it's ok to tell them.
    on the nhs it is free, and if you don't have much money, its definitly your best bet.

That's if you're lucky enough to live close enough and time is not an issue. They estimate many Irish women who want abortions don't get them, because they can't afford the travel/abortion fee costs, and they have no option but to continue with the pregnancy.
    it really all depends on the situation - but they will not allow anyone to use an abortion countless times as an alternative to contraception

As said before, it depends, and I'm uncertain on stats. I heard a story of a woman who was asked what her salary was (this was her first pregnancy, contraception had failed), and when she said what it was, they said, "You can afford to go privately, too many women are abusing the NHS."
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    but surley for a GP thats unethical malpractice

Well, he never said he was against abortion per se, but the GMC clearly states that any GP with an objection to abortion should refer her to someone else who isn't - it can be difficult if you're living in a remote area with a small general practice.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    is the waiting list for surgical abortions bigger than non-surgical? When you take the tablets?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    is the waiting list for surgical abortions bigger than non-surgical? When you take the tablets?
    all waiting lists depend on where you are in the country; so its hard to say.
  • Options
    I'm not sure ballerina, early medical abortion can only be done up to 9 weeks, so if a woman is already 7 weeks pregnant when she sees her GP and has to wait, there's not much time. Also, medical abortion requires at least 2 separate visits for the first and second tablets, that doesn't include a pre-op consultation and the post abortion check up - a lot of women can't take the time off work, or they have small children to look after etc
  • Options
    When I had an abortion last year I got to see the doctor within 2 days, had my first appointment at the hospital a week later and the abortion the week after that.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I went to the doctor the same day that I found out, but i still had to wait for 3 weeks or so for the appointment.
    Although many people feel its a long time to wait, i felt it gave me enough time to know i was making the right decision, it shouldnt be done lightly. but now i have babbled, back to the point...NHS are free, but there are many private clinics around the country that charge. I would recommend the NHS as you will receive the same treatment just less of a waiting time.