Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quitting smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's now been 17 days since my last cigarette. It has not been too hard. The time when I struggle most though is when I am out having a drink. Feels strange not to have a cigarette! Well, I have got past the (sorry to be gross :yuck: ) worst of the phlegm stage. But now, I am getting a heavy cough and my chest feels tight. For people who have quit in the past or know, is this normal? I do not want to go to the docs, if it is something I should expect!

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/whathappensafter.html
    Not sure if it helps, really, but it should be a basic guideline.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    It's now been 17 days since my last cigarette. It has not been too hard. The time when I struggle most though is when I am out having a drink. Feels strange not to have a cigarette! Well, I have got past the (sorry to be gross :yuck: ) worst of the phlegm stage. But now, I am getting a heavy cough and my chest feels tight. For people who have quit in the past or know, is this normal? I do not want to go to the docs, if it is something I should expect!
    how many fags did you smoke on average per day?
    how long have you been a smoker?
    otter wrote:
    how many fags did you smoke on average per day?
    how long have you been a smoker?

not a heavy smoker. about 5 a day. more if I was out drinking. for the past 3 years on and off. but constant for the past year
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    not a heavy smoker. about 5 a day. more if I was out drinking. for the past 3 years on and off. but constant for the past year
    thats less than i used to.
    i quit smoking AGES ago... i didn't get the symptoms you described tho.
    you could always phone that nhs-quit-smoking-helpline and ask....... sorry i don't know the no.
    I remember coughing lots but not a tight feeling.
    okay found it and it is 0800 169 0 169 - probably the best peole to ask :yes:
    otter wrote:
    okay found it and it is 0800 169 0 169 - probably the best peole to ask :yes:

if not 999 is a good one when your having a heart attack or dying of cancer
    \
    i only smoke cigarillos now, which is weird....cuz its more expensive..but atleast i don't smoke many of it now..

quitting smoking isn't easy, but you have to try and make an effort

have u tried those sticker things ?? howdo they work?
    stegrier wrote:
    have u tried those sticker things ?? howdo they work?

You mean the patches?
    I do not need to use anything to help me stop smoking. That was the easy part. It is just the tight chest and coughing that is worrying now. Thanks for the number Otter, and oh yeah, thanks Mr G, I wil bear that in mind.