Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Driving Lessons

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
My provisional drivers license arrived today. w00t.

Now I am looking into lessons etc. I am considering doing an intensive course. Has anyone does this before? What are the benefits / cons?

I took my driving test in 2000 and failed it. Not been behind a wheel since. So I don't know how bad I am.

But yes, intensive driving, pros and cons please :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe you could just book one single lesson and see how you get on first?
  • Options
    I think Intensive Courses are good if you've already had lessons and know the basics. I had lessons when I was 18 and then left it for a few years. Did my intensive course (25 hours driving) and passed in the space of about 8 weeks :)
  • Options
    I had an intensive course with no prior experience. It was in total 30 lessons. I failed twice and had to have 53 lessons before i passed. So yes it was good as you get the driving rammed down your throat, but i do think they're more effective if you already know what your doing when you start.
  • Options
    I did an intensive course of a week, as I found one lesson a week just wasnt enough and you'd forget things. I had my test at the end of the week and failed, but I still think I'd be learning now if I hadnt done it.

So yeah, I'd recommend it.
  • Options
    when i learned to drive, i did a 'double lesson' each week - 2hrs in 1 lesson. it was just right for me, and i passed 1st time. i think it depends on HOW intensive you want your course to be?! tho' i think its more effective not doing an intensive course for a million different reasons.
  • Options
    Most driving schools will give you an assessment lesson to see if you are suitable for an intensive course and tailor it for you.
  • Options
    I've read up about intensive courses (I've had 20 hours of tuition so far) and they all say that they're best for people who can already drive but want to scrub up on their skills for the test. The pass rate for intensive courses isn't encouraging.

Tbh, 2 hours a week should be enough for anyone...
  • Options
    I'm being assessed for how many hours I would need on an intensive course tomorrow. I've had 30+hours of lessons now, but my instructor (bless her) doesn't seem to want to move past the stage we're at - mainly because she doesn't remember what I've done from one week to the next.

People say the best way to learn is a double lesson each week, but around here that's a minimum of £40 a week, if not more! I've been paying £20 a week and that cripples my bank acocunt as it is.

P.S -Ilora, depending on whether the pupil has had prior experience or not, the pass rates have actually been known to be better, as you are retaining the information as it's still new by the time you get to your test.
  • Options
    My cousin is moving away from Stafford in a few weeks time, but he's got his books pretty empty - I'm sure he'd sort you out with a decent rate if you fancied some intensive training before he moved :).

Hit me when you're next on MSN if you're interested. :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I'm being assessed for how many hours I would need on an intensive course tomorrow. I've had 30+hours of lessons now, but my instructor (bless her) doesn't seem to want to move past the stage we're at - mainly because she doesn't remember what I've done from one week to the next.

Aw, sweet but just -no! Don't bless her, well you can if you want but don't let her take you for a ride! Sounds suspiciously like she wants to keep her student a student, remember that she gets nothing once you've passed...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Aw, sweet but just -no! Don't bless her, well you can if you want but don't let her take you for a ride! Sounds suspiciously like she wants to keep her student a student, remember that she gets nothing once you've passed...

My point exactly. She wanted 15 more lessons before putting me in for my test - and thats just booking it, not before I've taken it. So I was looking at 20 more lessons.....

Did an intensive course assessment this morning. 8 hours in one week, then my test. Scrounging old dear :)
  • Options
    Good for you! (didn't think you'd realised that was a blag) Good luck in your test, fingers crossed an' all that...