Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

buying first TV licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had an evil letter saying I can be cautioned and taken to court for not having a licence. I am going to buy one but it will have to wait till pay day, and I can't afford to pay £130 all at once.

Can I buy a new licence in instalments? I can't really work it out from the information on their site. I've been told you have to pay it all at once. Will I be all right just laying my head low till I buy it or can I still be taken to court for not having had a licence previously?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You can use Direct debit quaterly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We pay it monthly by direct debit, I think it's about a tenner or something.
    \
    yeah. you can pay by DD.
    you won't get taken to court unless you get caught. but i almost guarantee if you did get taken to court, you'll get fined the price of the licence, unless someone decides to go particulary hard on you and make you cough up the £1k.
    also, if you can't make sense of their website, i think they have a helpline phone no. which you can ask questions to.
    sophia wrote:
    You can't pay your first one monthly for some reason...
    That's right actually, I think we paid £25 or something for the first month and then the remaining amount is spread over the year. Mr Glittery calls it my Eastenders licence :D
    Glittery wrote:
    Mr Glittery calls it my Eastenders licence :D

:lol: