Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Man Utd sign Carrick for £17m

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Setanta Link

Good buy for them. They need someone like him. Crazy money though.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Lot of money on a relative gamble. Sure he's good but presumably Ferguson thinks he's the ideal Roy Keane replacement. Shame when he could have probably got Gattusso for about a third of that and perhaps have been a safer bet. I guess only time will tell.

Not completely unrelated... Van Nistlerooy agrees deal with Real. Always gonna happen wasn't it. Not that VR was too good, simply the lack of silverware heading to Old Trafford was beginning to tell. To be honest, another couple of seasons without major success and I feel Rooney may want to leave too.
  • Options
    sweet, carrick and scholes in the midfield i can live with that.......
  • Options
    It's not on Sky or the BBC yet, so I'm guessing it's not completed yet. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I think Carrick is a class player. That's it, as soon as that pen leaves the paper, he'll be a diving, cheating little fucker, who can burn in hell for all I care. :D
  • Options
    It's not on Sky or the BBC yet, so I'm guessing it's not completed yet. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I think Carrick is a class player. That's it, as soon as that pen leaves the paper, he'll be a diving, cheating little fucker, who can burn in hell for all I care. :D

:D

Yea, I think the news is a little premature because I can't find any other stuff about it.

If it's true then sweet. I'm a huge admirer of Carrick, he was certainly one of the main reasons Spurs over-achieved last season. Gattuso may have been a safer bet, but he's old, and it's looking less likely he'll leave Milan now champions league football has been restored. United can mould Carrick into the player they want, like they're doing with Rooney and Ronaldo. Carrick and Scholes would be a great partnership as well. It's great news for the England team too I think.
  • Options
    A bit weird for setanta to have that news?
    If true a good signing I honestly think he was the best midfielder in the prem last season and as mentioned was the main reason why Spurs over achieved, I can't believe that no-one has been linked with Hargreaves yet, If I was Wenger he would be the man that I would be looking at.
  • Options
    A bit weird for setanta to have that news?
    If true a good signing I honestly think he was the best midfielder in the prem last season and as mentioned was the main reason why Spurs over achieved, I can't believe that no-one has been linked with Hargreaves yet, If I was Wenger he would be the man that I would be looking at.

Yea, I would have taken Hargreaves at United either. He's solid and I think his game would transfer well to England.

One thing I'd say about Carrick is that he seems to have a bit more grace and mobility about him when compared to someone like Hargreaves. Carrick always looks very comfortable in possession. I just wonder if he's vocal or domineering enough to fill Keano's boots.
  • Options
    Does this mean that Spurs are gonna need another five midfielders to cover?
  • Options
    Does this mean that Spurs are gonna need another five midfielders to cover?

There was talk of Nedved but he's graciously pledged his allegiance to Juventus despite their demotion.

My mate is captain of Spurs reserves, and he plays central midfield. Maybe he'll get a game! :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah the thing with hargreaves is he can be the engine room of the team, wheras carrick will sit there and spray the passes around hes not gonna be making darting runs into the box, I think hargreaves game could eventually transform him into a forward driving midfielder. His engine is unbelievable he put Lampard to shame against Portugal.
  • Options
    yeah the thing with hargreaves is he can be the engine room of the team, wheras carrick will sit there and spray the passes around hes not gonna be making darting runs into the box, I think hargreaves game could eventually transform him into a forward driving midfielder. His engine is unbelievable he put Lampard to shame against Portugal.

Mr Scholes can do the darting runs. On his day, he's probably the best in the league at that. Carrick's the ideal player to sit and control play from midfield. He's exactly the sort of player we need to feed the attacking players. He can bomb forward and take the initiative if needs be as well. The time he nearly scored goal of the season, taking on all of Arsenal springs to mind.

What age is Hargreaves, 26? I think he'll be signed up before long. He did make Lampard look a bit lethargic, but Frankie is usually all action, so I don't really know what happened there.
  • Options
    I think with Lampard it all just caught up with him, may sound weird but he probably needed an injury to have a month or so off.
  • Options
    I think with Lampard it all just caught up with him

Nah, the reason is simply that Lampard and Gerrard cannot play in the same team, both need a holding midfielder and neither are prepared to be that player.

Lampard is good because of Makelele, to be brutally honest.

Hargreaves would be a good signing for any team, but he's made it quite clear he will only leave Bayern Munich for a team of the same calibre. At the moment that's basically Chelsea or Chelsea.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Nah, the reason is simply that Lampard and Gerrard cannot play in the same team, both need a holding midfielder and neither are prepared to be that player.

Lampard is good because of Makelele, to be brutally honest.

Hargreaves would be a good signing for any team, but he's made it quite clear he will only leave Bayern Munich for a team of the same calibre. At the moment that's basically Chelsea or Chelsea.

Or Barcelona/Liverpool/Arsenal etc surely? I don't think Bayern are anywhere near being the second best side in Europe, but then I don't think Chelsea are the best either.

Agree about Lamps, he's able to play as he does because of Claude '88 out of 88 passes completed, combined length of which totalling 6.3 yards over the 90 minutes' Makelele!
  • Options
    Museman wrote:
    Or Barcelona/Liverpool/Arsenal etc surely? I don't think Bayern are anywhere near being the second best side in Europe, but then I don't think Chelsea are the best either.

Champions League every year, always winning the Bundesliga. Bayern are a major European name who will give you guaranteed medals- the only team in this country who will give you a medal are Chelsea. Man Utd haven't even finished in the top two for three of the last five seasons.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Champions League every year, always winning the Bundesliga. Bayern are a major European name who will give you guaranteed medals- the only team in this country who will give you a medal are Chelsea. Man Utd haven't even finished in the top two for three of the last five seasons.

Kind of irrelevant because the premiership is a much more prestigious league than the Bundesliga and much more difficult to succeed in.

Winning a Bundesliga with Bayern is almost like winning an SPL with Rangers.

The best and most ambitious players want to prove themselves in the best leagues.
  • Options
    I don't know if the Bundesliga is that much worse, really. It's been weakened a lot since Leverkusen and Dortmund in particular hit financial trouble, definitely, but its still a top league.

I also happen to think that the Premiership is grossly overrated. Until recently you were either playing for Man Utd or Arsenal if you won it.
  • Options
    Although I do agree that lampard and Gerrard both need a holding player, Lampard was sluggish and tired throughout the world cup. He was seriously flagging against Portugal but again sven bottled bringing anyone on, because he had no-one to bring on. But with regards to Bayern they are a huge club and Id put them in the top 5 clubs in europe, but players don't necessarily want to go and play in the bundesliga, when was the last time there was a world player of the year coming from the German league?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know if the Bundesliga is that much worse, really. It's been weakened a lot since Leverkusen and Dortmund in particular hit financial trouble, definitely, but its still a top league.

I also happen to think that the Premiership is grossly overrated. Until recently you were either playing for Man Utd or Arsenal if you won it.

It's an alright league but it's not one of the top leagues.

Premiership, La Liga & Serie A are the leagues which put 4 teams forward for the champions league so I'd view them as the top leagues. They are where the top players want to prove themselves. And when you look at those leagues, all the world's best players are based within them.

If someone wanted to win trophies and be in the champions league every year they could join Celtic/Rangers.
  • Options
    £17million? Bit steep IMO.

He's a good player but he won't turn United into being title contenders again.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Premiership, La Liga & Serie A are the leagues which put 4 teams forward for the champions league so I'd view them as the top leagues. They are where the top players want to prove themselves. And when you look at those leagues, all the world's best players are based within them.

Oh definitely, but I think moving from Bayern Munich to, say, Tottenham, would very much be a step backwards in terms of prestige.

Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool would be a step up, but beneath them, not really.

The Bundesliga is weaker than it used to be because it doesn't have the money of England and Spain, but it isn't a weak league.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    £17million? Bit steep IMO.

He's a good player but he won't turn United into being title contenders again.

I'd rather spend that on someone who's a proven top class premiership midfielder, rather than splash out on some unproven foreigner a la Veron. Carrick is a good sensible buy.

It will be hard to catch Chelsea, but we finished ahead of everyone else last season with NO midfield (O'shea & Richardson anyone?). Carrick can only improve our team.