Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

wedding reception - what to wear!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriends been invited to a wedding reception (guy from work) at the end of august and he can bring a guest so he's asked me to come along. Now i have absolutly no idea what to wear to a wedding reception. The only weddings i've been to are when i was a bridesmaid and i was only old enough to remember one of them! I need ideas please!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can wear whatever you like to be honest, since it's the reception rather than the actual wedding.

You have to take into account where the reception is being held, if it's a buffet or a sit down meal or a disco or a combination of these things. Think smart and summery, a floaty skirt with sandals and a little top or a summer dress. If you prefer wearing trousers then smart linen ones with a dressier top. It's not usually that restrictive. Light colours and fabrics, something you feel comfortable in and that isn't too attention-grabbing (don't want any Bridezillas or Bridesmaidzillas on your hands) or dull.

I'm off to a wedding this Saturday; I'm so excited I've even bought a hat :hyper:
    i don't know any details about it - i'll get my boyfriend to investigate.
    I did find a lovely little dress in dorothy perkins yesterday (before i was told about this reception) but its dark. :chin:
    Doesn't really matter, as long as it isn't some long, black shroud you'll be fine. A darker dress with bare legs and little shoes is fine... it'll be evening anyway so there's a lot more scope for colours etc. Wait 'til you find out more details and then you'll be able to speculate on what other people will be wearing and decide more easily for yourself :)
    if im just going to a reception i'd generally wear what i would if i was going out for a night on the town etc... smart jeans/trousers, a shirt and a pair of shoes.

as you are a female, i presume skirt and top or dress would be fine!

if it was a very posh reception i generally go for shirt/tie combo and take my suit jacket just in case, can always take it off there.
    well its a casual thing aparrantly - but i still need to find something smartish :chin:
    still tempted for the little dress but it might be too dressy-uppy
    I'm going to a reception in october. I will wear a nice casual black dress and a pair of shoes( didn't found them yet). My b/f will wear a suit so I find the black dress acceptable. If i change my mind I will probably wear a nice suit, light green-> dress, coat and a black shirt! I think it's something between casual and smart... Proper or not.. I will see after ;)
    Ballerina wrote:
    well its a casual thing aparrantly - but i still need to find something smartish :chin:
    still tempted for the little dress but it might be too dressy-uppy

Have you got a link for the dress so we can all see?
    Have you got a link for the dress so we can all see?
    well i cant get a direct link for some reason but i'll tell you where it is

http://www.dorothyperkins.co.uk/promostores/dp/2006/

go to style advice, then to premium collection. Its the little black dress at the top with the bow waist.