Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People on Linux, help me out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have posted this on Linux forums but I have not yet had a reply, their a bit slow so maybe one of you lot can help.

I am running Linspire and I have a Pheenet WIFI PCI card which has a Marvel chipset. I have used Ndiswrapper to install the windows driver and performed "ndiswrapper -l" to check the driver was installed.

first lspci
0000:02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

ndiswrapper -l
mrv8000c driver present, hardware present

Now if I got in to my control panel and click network settings the wireless section is grayed out and I cannot change "eth0 RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+" as there is nothing else there.

Am I nearly there and what else is left to do because I am stuck :(!

p.s. As Linspire comes with loads of preloaded wireless card drivers, I noticed under "mrv8000c driver present, hardware present" I have got "mrv8ka51 driver present, hardware present" - I do not know what this driver is for.

Comments

• Options
    I've never touched wireless under Linux. Sorry :(. What I can tell you is that the comments about 8139 and whatnot - the 8139 is a Realtek chipset, and is used in wired cards. Maybe it's your onboard network card or something?

It might be used in wireless cards too, I guess?
  • Options
    I done it, I thought the driver was loaded but it wasn't.
  • Options
    Sorted :). I've not used Linspire for a long time now, but when I did I found it to be 'okay'. It should serve as a pretty good introduction to Linux though :).
  • Options
    I'm gonna go back to Suse, I'm really not liking Linspire :(
  • Options
    It's a bit dumbed down. Really, it's a good introduction to using a desktop other than Windows - but once you've used one of the bigger distributions, you tend to find it hard to move to anything less :). I've not used Suse for a long time now, but I had no problems with them a few years ago.
  • Options
    lol, I've been trying out a few distro's today, I'm gonna try ALinux which looks really nice but it's sposed to be a bitch to install.

I just wish all Linux distro's was as easy for to setup a wireless network as Linspire was.