Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Curiocity question

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
A few weeks ago, I burnt some of the hairs on one of my fingers by mistake. A couple of days later, they had grown back to their original length, and they're still the same.
Meanwhile, my hair keeps growing and growing and it's the same with my beard (if I don't shave it).

My questions are these:
  1. How come some hairs on the body (like the ones on the head) just keep growing and growing, while others (like the ones on the arms) stop at a certain length?
  2. How do the latter "understand" when they've grown enough and stop?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pubic hairs for instance grow for 6months and then fall out.
    lipsy wrote:

Where did you learn such things?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    lipsy wrote:
    I was trying to prevent the thread from getting an "Adult" rating. :p
    squeal16 wrote:
    Where did you learn such things?
    school?
    Head hair does have a fixed length that it can get to. It's just that it's a lot longer than other hair, and most people don't grow it to it's limit.
    Ahh.
    bacause Jesus made it that way.

END OF.
    You know, I've been discussing this with people lots lately.

It all started cause I noticed a long hair on my side. It was thin and blonde and super, super fine line a normal body hair, but it was crazy long. It was about 2 inches long when I noticed it, and I kept track of it for nearly a year (it grew to over 4 inches) before it snapped off halfway down, and i pulled it out. It must have lacked normal hair knowledge regarding stopping growing, and falling out. Most odd.
    If I'm correct, a mole is when you get weird cell division, similar to cancer(but not as dangerous).

So things start to grow more than they should, including any hair if the mole happened to be at a hair follicle.

A bit of a guess, but it sounds about right. I have a very small mole on my forearm, and it seems to grow two slightly longer and thicker hairs.
    If I'm correct, a mole is when you get weird cell division, similar to cancer(but not as dangerous).
    they're the moles that stick out aren't they? Other moles and freckles are just pigmentation.
    Head hair does have a limit - but its different for everyone.
    So I'll never be able to cornrow my pubes? Wow... today had started off so good too :(

Though, does anybody else find that calves are harrier than thighs?
    Indrid - try burning off your beard as an experiment :D
    my_name wrote:
    Though, does anybody else find that calves are harrier than thighs?
    Yes.

It might be because thighs are thicker and the skin is spread out, which means the hair is spread out too? maybe.
    1. How come some hairs on the body (like the ones on the head) just keep growing and growing, while others (like the ones on the arms) stop at a certain length?
    2. How do the latter "understand" when they've grown enough and stop?
    because different parts of your body are programmed differently. hair follicles in different parts of your body only produce new cells for so long, whilst it does that the hair can grow. when it stops the hair "dies" and another hair replaces it.
    Indrid - try burning off your beard as an experiment :D
    I don't want to end up like him... :p
    lechuck-mi3-01.png