Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoking could increase likelyhood of binge drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(Heya, been on one of my holidays from the boards, hope everyone's well)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5209990.stm

This comes from the beeb, Uni of Texas scientists are speculating that the absorbtion of alcohol in the small intestine is inhibited by the presence of nicotine in the bloodstream, reducing the desired effect of alcohol.

(nb. on an unrelated point, sorry I haven't carried on the Podcast thing but for several reasons including getting a new research post, doing my final year and Apple wanting £85 per year for the privilage I could'nt really keep up with it anymore.)

Comments

• Options
    It makes sense. People who smoke are killing thereselves anyway so why not binge drink.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    People who smoke are killing thereselves anyway so why not binge drink.

That's the kind of advice I like to hear, I will adhere to it to the letter ;) :thumb:

I read an article about this this morning, seemed to start out sounding almost as if smoking was a "positive" (well as far as it can be in health terms..) in terms of drinking until it broached the point about smokers drinking more to achieve the same effect as a non-smoker. I'm not sure how convinced I am, will reserve my judgement until it's more conclusive.
  • Options
    then why do people always say that having a cigarette whilst drinking makes you feel more pissed?
  • Options
    Isn't that just the case for your so-called "social smokers" who are more than likely getting a baccy rush because they haven't had a snout since their last night down the pub?

If you're an regular smoker then cigarettes don't have a tangible effect on how pissed you feel, at least not in my experience.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Isn't that just the case for your so-called "social smokers" who are more than likely getting a baccy rush because they haven't had a snout since their last night down the pub?

If you're an regular smoker then cigarettes don't have a tangible effect on how pissed you feel, at least not in my experience.
    that probably explains it. i don't smoke so i dont know.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    HIT wrote:
    People who smoke are killing thereselves anyway so why not binge drink.

:confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    After a few beers is the only time I smoke anymore, it just gets more and more tempting the more beer I have, a bit like a kebab.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    After a few beers is the only time I smoke anymore, it just gets more and more tempting the more beer I have, a bit like a kebab.

Which is the pretty much the same for me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    This is bollocks IMO.

Having worked in bars for a few years, I don't think that whether or not someone smokes makes much difference to their alcohol consumption.

Also, I smoke but I don't drink more as a rule than friends who don't.
  • Options
    I actually think getting pissed increases chain smoking tbh. They got it wrong.
  • Options
    i will continue my hands on research into this for a few years and let you all know how i get on.
    the results so far after nearly forty years intesive study are i'm afraid still inconclusive.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Makoto wrote:
    I actually think getting pissed increases chain smoking tbh. They got it wrong.

Your right. When I drink I smoke loads :o