Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sofa Beds/Futons...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really didn't know where this goes (there's probably a REALLY obvious board for this type of thing I've completely overlooked!) but next year I'm moving into a student house for the first time and have dreams of a double bed. At home I also have 2 EVIL wicker chairs and thought if I got a sofa bed, it'd be great for my room at home (get rid of those damn chairs) and for my uni room.

Thing is...never really stayed on one - probably looking at a wooden one so it doesn't squeak annoyingly but...wondering if anyones lived on one for the long term and are they comfy and suitable for me to sleep on in uni time?

Thanks guys, random I know but don't wanna get a normal double bed - I'm living on the 3rd floor and don't wanna struggle with it being too bulky and in the way!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Divans split in two halfs and are easy to slide up stairs.

Futons aren't good for long term sleeping/other bed use ;)
    I really didn't know where this goes (there's probably a REALLY obvious board for this type of thing I've completely overlooked!)
    Yep. Home, law and money. I reckon a sofa bed would be as good as a normal uni bed (not very) for sleeping on. Not sure about other activities though.
    My flatmate has a sofa bed thing from Ikea, and he seems to think it's alright. Comfy enough to sit on, but no arms to louge against.
    I slept on one for about 4 months when I had to stay with my parents, I found it comfier than my own bed! It was one similar to this - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6358976.htm
    I think futons are fine for the long term, but can take a little adjusting to sometimes.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My flatmate has a sofa bed thing from Ikea, and he seems to think it's alright. Comfy enough to sit on, but no arms to louge against.

We have a similar sort of thing from IKEA (I bet it's the same one). It is a comfy sofa but I wouldn't sleep on it on a regular basis.

IKEA have a selection of sofa beds.

When we were looking for our new sofa one of our criteria was sofa bed. Just because our parents or whatever would then have somewhere to sleep. We found it quite difficult to find a nice, reasonably priced one as I think they are going out of fashion. IKEA was the best place.
    I had a futon for a bed a few years back. Not very comfy tbh and you end up feeling the 'buttons' because they're not as thick as a normal matress.
    I say go for a normal bed. Sofa beds seem quite fun for a while but they soon turn out to be a nightmare. They're not very tidy looking either.
    I do want a comfy bed, obviously one thats good to share :p but it's also being economical - I DO want a double in my, I'm also considering it'll be used for the best part of two years and but don't want to spend too much on it...economical and comfort may not come together!
    When me & my sister were younger, we have a sofa bunk bed. Was a bit uncomfortable at times.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think futons are fine for the long term,

:yes:

I slept on one for years and found it fine - no bad backs.
    Weekender Offender 
    Firstly a sofa bed will be a total bastard to get up stairs, unless it's of piss poor quality. The putting up and putting away can also get old very quickly.

In comfort terms, this depends on you. If you are fairly light and fairly healthy (no muscle or back problems) it doesn't matter so much what you sleep on, and you can afford to be more economical. Heavier people need firmer beds, and more support, skinny people need soft mattressed to avoid pressure points, and people with bad backs need a mattress that supports them properly (depends on your weight).

Assuming you are light but not too skinny and you have no problems, it's really not a huge deal what you end up with, as long as you find it comfy :)

I could talk forever about furniture, sadly enough :/
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

I slept on one for years and found it fine - no bad backs.
    Fact.

I slept on one for a couple of weeks and it got rid of my bad back.
    Agree with Kaff as far as sofa beds go.... I have an old metal frame one. It's now actually about 30 years old and the mechanism and all works just fine, so it's lasted well, HOWEVER it weighs a flamin ton. I mean really. I've got a job to shift it even to vacuum, and I'm no little flower I can assure you.

The foam sofa beds fall apart pretty quick with constant use in my experience.

I have no experience of futons.
    I live in a really small flat and I have a sofabed which I got cheap. to be honest, I prefer a double bed or something because I feel the sofabed has messed my back up. As the bed lies directly on the floor (it pulls out on the floor) its worse. I would like one of the proper ones from Ikea which pull out like a proper bed but I cant fit it cos it would be too big.