Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Virtual PC is free

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you didn't already know (as I didn't) Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 is now free! You can run all versions of Windows (even Vista & Linux). It's good for learning a new O/S or doing things that you wouldn't wanna do on your host, plus it's good for testing and development.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Comments

• Options
    I didnt read much of that link but what is Virtual PC??:chin:
  • Options
    Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS®, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click.

Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers.
    Benefits

Virtual PC provides a time-saving and cost-saving solution anywhere users must run multiple operating systems. Use Virtual PC in the following scenarios:

Ease Migration: Run legacy applications in a virtual machine instead of delaying the deployment of a new operating system just because of application incompatibility. Test your migration plans using virtual machines instead of actual physical computers.

Do More in Less Time: Support staff can run multiple operating systems on a single physical computer and switch between them easily. They can also restore virtual machines to their previous state almost instantly. Train students on multiple operating systems and virtual networks instead of purchasing and supporting additional computers.

Streamline Deployment: Test software on different operating systems more easily. One crashing application or operating system doesn’t affect others.

Accelerate Development: Increase quality assurance by testing and documenting your software on multiple operating systems using virtual machines. Decrease time-to-market by reducing reconfiguration time.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/overview2004.mspx

VMware Server is also free now.
  • Options
    We have it set up at work, its very useful. We also use a modified version of VNC so that we can have virtual machines doing remote support.
  • Options
    I just installed sub7 server and I'm spywared up to the eyeballs :lol:. Now to wait, watch and monitor :D.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    SWEET!

Can it run virtual Vista?

And OMG, I will be able to play Red Alert again, maybe working properly!!!

Edit: No Vista... but boy, is it going to be fun with this free. Heheh ^_^
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And OMG, I will be able to play Red Alert again, maybe working properly!!!

I've always been able to play Red Alert...
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    I've always been able to play Red Alert...

My sound doesn't work properly. It's obviously too new.. it worked on my old PC... with the surround sound setup I have I just get infintley looped sound effects "afirmative tive tive tive tive tive" for ever.

Gah.
  • Options
    It should be able to run Vista:

When it gets to install Windows press Shift+F10 to open cmd and type DISKPART and then use the following:
    select disk 0 
    create partition primary 
    select volume 1 
    format fs=ntfs label="vista"

Type exit and restart your install.

p.s. Any probs with connecting to the Internet? It did work when I installed it but since shutting everything down I cannot access the net :(.
  • Options
    How odd! I haven't set it up yet... I think I might do Vista... kekeke ^_^

Ahem... and I want to play X3 soon. It's cracked now! At last! Starforce, you lose! HAHAHA.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah it runs Vista fine!

Takes a fair bit of memory though!!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah it runs Vista fine!

Takes a fair bit of memory though!!

How long did the install take?
  • Options
    Your actually best off using VMware GSX Server, it's a lot better and a lot faster, you shouldn't notice much slowness.

It's also free - http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
  • Options
    is this virtual PC stuff useful for testing software?

I mean like I like to have the basics on a PC, office, etc and windows xp runs fast but once you start testing stuff eventually something will slow it down - so could I create a nice fast copy of windows and then a fully featured copy and switch back and fourth instantly?
  • Options
    PC virtualisation is great, it really is. You can run a complete OS in a window on your desktop, and most of the time it'll run at close to native speeds. It's not too hot for running games.

You could have two virtual machines - one with a base install, and one with a complete install. But both will be running under the host OS, so if your main installation is getting bogged down, the virtual machines will slow down as well as the host runs out of memory, suffers from a fragmented disk, etc.

It's fantastic for creating a number of test environments though. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    You need ISS server to run with that.
  • Options
    Good point, I worked with it last year...think I need to brush up...
  • Options
    fs, wrong post lol/