Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student bank accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know of a good account that will get me some good free stuff?
I know natwest are giving away a free ipod shuffle but they suck. i want something good! :grump:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    That's Natwest again. Five years for free.

I went with Barclays which gave me £50 worth of book tokens. But only if you sign up for a Barclaycard as well, which I did......and promptly cancelled.
    sophia wrote:
    What you really want is whoever is giving the young person's railcard for free.
    I concur.

You can have more than one bank account though.
    I want a new student account. I didnt get any free stuff with mine as i set mine up in the April of my first year. I thought i had a student account (i went and told them i wanted a student account the previous july!) but turned out i didnt.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I concur.

But not more than one student bank account.

I was gonna go with Natwest for the free railcard last year, but it was too much hassle and I couldn't be arsed. Same this year.

So I'm forking out 20 quid again for my railcard.

Don't follow my example. Don't be lazy like I was and go with Natwest. You get your money back easy on the railcard if you do buy it, but you're saving like £100 over five years if you get a Natwest account. It's just good sense, and way more useful than ten free CDs or an MP3 player or some other such crap.
    The one with a free railcard if you know your going to us eit, it will save you £100 at least plus everything else over the years. My brother got a free four year one and has saved about £500 over his degree course.
    To be honest, all student bank accounts fuck you over. None of them are offering you these deals out of some philanthropic instinct - they just want you to max out your overdraft while you have 0% EAR and then slap a fuck load of interest on the second you graduate. I personally think I've been better off without one and with my 100 squid overdraft from the Halifax. Fine, I can't live the life of riley, but at least I won't get over my head beyond my standard student loan.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    But not more than one student bank account.

I have two...
    You're not supposed to have more than one student bank account, because they want you to pay your loan into it. My flatmates got round this by telling the bank that they didn't have a loan, as 'daddy pays for it all'.
    Yep going with Natwest with that railcard one.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I have two...

In the terms and conditions it'll state that you agree to only hold one student bank account.
    Really? I signed up with the Irish bank (cant rmember its name) but I changed my first trust one to a current account earlier this year...(is that the same thing?) :confused:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Natwest fucked me over for the free railcard - only one of their many shambolic errors this year.

Fuck a free railcard, you might as well buy your own railcard and go with a decent bank.
    JsT wrote:
    Natwest fucked me over for the free railcard - only one of their many shambolic errors this year.

Fuck a free railcard, you might as well buy your own railcard and go with a decent bank.

They fucked you over?
    GoodFella wrote:
    They fucked you over?
    Aye, "yeah we'll send the free railcard out tommorow", never arrived despite constant calls. Neither did statements, cheque books, PIN numbers. Missing deposits, rude staff, long waits and failed promises - all the fun of a high street bank.
    JsT wrote:
    Aye, "yeah we'll send the free railcard out tommorow", never arrived despite constant calls. Neither did statements, cheque books, PIN numbers. Missing deposits, rude staff, long waits and failed promises - all the fun of a high street bank.

Sounds like you were fucked hard and proper .. up the ass!
    I personally think I've been better off without one and with my 100 squid overdraft from the Halifax. Fine, I can't live the life of riley, but at least I won't get over my head beyond my standard student loan.

No, but not many people are wealthy enough to manage that.

Sure, you can get work, but then your important uni work suffers.
    im not fussed about a rail card tbh unless i can sell it(?). I'm going to the uni where i live anyway so theres no need to travel anywhere. Something good would be like free or discounted driving lessons, cant see there being anywhere that offers that though...
    Has your photo on.

Cant be sold.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    In the terms and conditions it'll state that you agree to only hold one student bank account.
    Hrm... oh well.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, but not many people are wealthy enough to manage that.

Sure, you can get work, but then your important uni work suffers.

haha, you calling me wealthy???
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    its probably better if you don't. because you'll have so much to pay back once you have graduated. having said that tho' most banks, i'm sure state that you must pay all your student loan into your account with them - so you can onnly have 1 student a/c i think.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I concur.

Some banks actually require that you don't have another student bank account when u sign up for them. At least hsbc do anyway
    otter wrote:
    its probably better if you don't. because you'll have so much to pay back once you have graduated. having said that tho' most banks, i'm sure state that you must pay all your student loan into your account with them - so you can onnly have 1 student a/c i think.
    I've used my overdraft once or twice, I don't ever sit in it.
    I beleive ive got a year to pay off my overdraft with my account. I think...
    otter wrote:

You can switch your loan from bank-to-bank which seems to keep them satisfied.

Banks state only one student account but i know few people who have had two with no problems. Still, a bit dodgy.
    Spliffie wrote:
    You can switch your loan from bank-to-bank which seems to keep them satisfied.
    there wouldn't be much point in that tho' would there?!
    To be honest, all student bank accounts fuck you over. None of them are offering you these deals out of some philanthropic instinct - they just want you to max out your overdraft while you have 0% EAR and then slap a fuck load of interest on the second you graduate. I personally think I've been better off without one and with my 100 squid overdraft from the Halifax. Fine, I can't live the life of riley, but at least I won't get over my head beyond my standard student loan.

Most banks if you get a graduate account will give you the overdraft free for 3years after u graduate, usually reducing the amount every year.
    I maxed mine in a month. :( im not so good with the money. I've spend like £5000 on shit this first year
    Surely the bank can't do anything to stop you having more than one student account though? Like there isn't anything actually illegal about it?
    Obviously they can refuse to let you open an account, but they're not gonna no if you've got another account somewhere else unless you tell them. Not everyone gets student loans so they can't say you MUST pay your loan into that account.