Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Protein And Creatine (Bodybuilders Question)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my friend went into a local health store and purchased

Fortress Protopure Protein Powder
Fortress Creatine Powder (Pure Creatine Monohydrate)

We've been working out everyday for around an hour with the x4 creatine drinks and intake of around 170grams protein a day, how long before we start to see a difference in the size and weight of ourselves do you think it will be?

Its a very expensive way of getting bigger, but worth every penny in my eyes, around average of £100 a month its gonna cost.

Also, a few questions about protein if anyone can answere them for me:

Where does protein come from, how is it formed into a powder?
Where is the cheapest suppliments of protein around on the net?
What are the top quality makes of protein shakes?
What will happen if you have TOO MUCH protein?

Comments

• Options
    You ideally want Creatine Monohydrate, that is mixed with uptake agents such as dextrose that create an insulin spike to force creatine into the muscles. But it is more expensive and you would probably find that basic creatine will have some improvement to help you train harder.

With protein you should not go over 1gram per kilogram of body weight unless you are some very serious mega weight bodybuilder. It's probably not detrimental to your health but your body will only utilize a certain amount and render the rest useless. So 170 grams is alot and remember that you will get protein from food so don't rely on protein shakes all the time.

You ideally should make an exercise program, as working out everyday can also be bad for seeing gains, remember plenty of rest (sleep) is essential. Every other day ideally not everyday.

Remember to eat well as you should not rely on supplements for all of your nutritional intake.

http://meal-replacements.ultimatefatburner.com/whey-protein/whey-protein.html

https://www.creatinestore.co.uk/
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:

whey :yuck:

bad for kidneys and liver
  • Options
    someone told me if you want to build up, you should take 1gram protein for every 1lb of body weight? Is this the correct term? if so then why am i being directed to take over 100lb's with just my protein shakes alone, as i am 72lb's in body weight!
  • Options
    soz im about 180lb's
  • Options
    Surely a healthy diet would do a lot more for toning and building muscle than just protein shakes and suplements?
    Eat a meal of something like grilled chicken, brown rice and veg a couple of hours before going to the gym and make sure to eat something afterwards also.(pasta dishes and filled jacket potatoes are also good)
    tbh theres not much point in trying to bulk up if youre not fit and toned to begin with because it will just damage your health.
    There are no quick fixes im afraid and many months in the gym are needed before any major results can be seen.
  • Options
    i already eat healthy meals so no change there.

i think these protein shakes work which is why im using them lol
  • Options
    forgot to add:

Going to the gym every day is not a good idea because your muscles never have a chance to repair.
    In case you didnt know (as i only found out recently) the way muscles work is that they rip and disintegrate as you work out (thats the pain feeling if you do a lot of sit ups or reps). as your body recovers, the muscles grow back stronger.
    If you dont give yourself at least a day in between work outs however the muscles will never have chance to recover so youre not really doing yourself any favours.
  • Options
    You can buy urine test strips which will indicate the approximate level of protein in the urine. If you use them and find that you are weeing out lots of protein, you will know that you are wasting your money on the supplements and should take less.
  • Options
    where can you get these and how does it indicate?
  • Options
    Right, dude, firstly, save your cash!

Creatine at the beginning of your weight lifting career is pointless and you are probably pissing it up the wall.

Further to this protein supplementation is just that, a SUPPLEMENT. It should supplement a strong, clean, diet.

You should definately be getting a minimum of 1g protein per lb of bodyweight per day, the norm is 1.5g/lb upwards. At 180lbs I would be aiming for at least 250g protein a day.

You aren't going to get size and definition fast, it is going to be a long and slow but very satisfying process if you stick to it.

Post up your diet and current training routine and I will take a look for you if you want - if you want to be big and strong though you need to be dedicated....

By the way, I use an unflavoured whey from all-in-1 at www.sports-nutrition.net if you enter the 'muscletalk' coupon you can get two tubs delivered for £24 then I buy a flavouring tub from bulkpowers for about £3 meaning two 5lb tubs for under £30.. not bad eh?

Seriously though re the creatine etc, there are no magic beans, they are just icing on the cake to a good diet/training regime.

Good luck!

Phil
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:
    where can you get these and how does it indicate?
    You get get urine dipstix from any chemist - you dip them in your urine to show you how much protein (and other things) is in there.
  • Options
    I didn't think that was for dietary protein... but I don't actually have a clue about them :)
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:
    Me and my friend went into a local health store and purchased

Fortress Protopure Protein Powder
    Fortress Creatine Powder (Pure Creatine Monohydrate)

We've been working out everyday for around an hour with the x4 creatine drinks and intake of around 170grams protein a day, how long before we start to see a difference in the size and weight of ourselves do you think it will be?

Its a very expensive way of getting bigger, but worth every penny in my eyes, around average of £100 a month its gonna cost.

Also, a few questions about protein if anyone can answere them for me:

Where is the cheapest suppliments of protein around on the net?
    What are the top quality makes of protein shakes?

A general guide line for protein intake is around 1g of protein per lb of body mass. So if you weigh 200lbs then eat 200g of protein.

Too much protein can be useless & stress your kidneys, so you need to drink about 4ltrs of water a day.

Creatine, like companies that actually haven't funded money into research sell there products at a high price with dextrose.

You do not need a insulin spike to shuttle creatine into the muscles. Creatine has its own metabolic pathway. So a plane creatine supp. on its own on a empty stomach will do the trick.

If your goal is to bulk up then eat 3000+ calories a day or depending on your body weight.

REMEMBER SUPPLEMENTS DO NOT REPLACE A GOOD DIET I fell in that trap when I first started.
  • Options
    Creatine has been proven not to have a high absorbtion rate (monohydrate).. taking it with a simple sugar will improve the absorbotion, but dextrose is very cheap, like 2 quid a kilo or something so don't go buying into the hype of combined products.
  • Options
    Creatine has been proven not to have a high absorbtion rate (monohydrate).. taking it with a simple sugar will improve the absorbotion, but dextrose is very cheap, like 2 quid a kilo or something so don't go buying into the hype of combined products.
    Whey protein needs the sugars, not creatine. For a long time, it was thought that creatine needed sugar for uptake, but in fact sodium has been shown to be more effective in increasing creatine uptake.

Another myth is you need to load creatine, that's also been debunked.
  • Options
    Sorry you are wrong, whey in water is absorbed very easily which is why it is recommended to have first thing.

Creatine DOES improve efficiency from a sugar spike.

Take a read of this -

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-086-diet

Enjoy.

Care you show me where you learned what you posted?
  • Options
    Sorry you are wrong, whey in water is absorbed very easily which is why it is recommended to have first thing.

Creatine DOES improve efficiency from a sugar spike.

Take a read of this -

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-086-diet

Enjoy.

Care you show me where you learned what you posted?

Im not being funny but is this a bb site? No. It was recommended first thing because its what people have heard. Six months ago I would have said the same thing, along with ALA (which you have mentioned). If you read a biochem book you would see otherwise.

Whey is not easily water absorbed, its absorbed by the body fast, which infact the BCAA actually spike insulin sensitivity there self,

I get my information from bodybuilding.com. I will present very shortly studies that prove otherwise. I only found out recently myself that creatine has its own digestion pathway. Or even better sign up for a free account where I can put you in touch with supplement gurus like Patrick Arnold himself. BB.com is the most prestige site on the net with the top info about supps. because the scientists thereself post there.

I bet another myth you have heard off is that caffeine will cancel out creatines effect. I was paranoid about caffeine intake, until I read otherwise.

A little tip to anyone wanting creatine. Buy kre alkiline & deffinetly dont buy cell tech.

EDIT: I have just pm a reliable source that happens to own his own nutritional company, so depending on the time differences it should reply shortly.

And in reply to the steroid thread, I can quite happily post threads etc. on why testosterone should be included in every cycle. If you want me to.
  • Options
    Whey is not easily water absorbed, its absorbed by the body fast, which infact the BCAA actually spike insulin sensitivity there self,

I said, Whey IN water is easily absored. And sorry but the amino acids don't cause an insulin spike, why would that be of benefit? Insulin spikes are only really wanted/beneficial post workout.
    I get my information from bodybuilding.com. I will present very shortly studies that prove otherwise. I only found out recently myself that creatine has its own digestion pathway. Or even better sign up for a free account where I can put you in touch with supplement gurus like Patrick Arnold himself. BB.com is the most prestige site on the net with the top info about supps. because the scientists thereself post there.

I don't want to argue with you because I'm glad there is another BBer on the site, but listen, bodybuilding.com is one of the biggest piles of shit that is out there on the net OK. Read some decent sites like t-nation, seriously, that site is just there to make money and spout crap.
    I bet another myth you have heard off is that caffeine will cancel out creatines effect. I was paranoid about caffeine intake, until I read otherwise.

Uhm, how would caffeine ever cancel out creatines affect?

EDIT: I have just pm a reliable source that happens to own his own nutritional company, so depending on the time differences it should reply shortly.

Great, I know a lot of supps company/nutritional company owners personally too, well done.
    And in reply to the steroid thread, I can quite happily post threads etc. on why testosterone should be included in every cycle. If you want me to.

Yes please, and pop over to one of the hardcore steroid sites and post up that crap too and let me know where it is so I can have a laugh.
  • Options
    I cant even believe your disputing different things that I have posted. Its a well documented fact (even T-nation knows) that BCAA will spike insulin sensitivity. Do you even understand insulin spiking & what it does?

BB.com isn't rubbish at all. All the top supplement owners post on the site. I am not talking about low timers like Reflex nutrition, I am talking about big timers like Ergopharm, SAN, Primaforce. All the founders are scientists like Patrick Arnold. Scientists post on those forums like Clayton South, Layne Norton, & most importantly Big Cat. Along with top IFBB Pro's, & PL like Mark Ripptoe etc. So saying bb.com is rubbish is totally incorrect. BB.com is known over the web & the world for the best information available. Topp BB use it. Its only low time forums that find it necessary to mock it out of sheer jealousy. I been on different forums like MT, T-nations & the information presented there usually comes of bb.com or someone affiliated with them, & bb.com information far out does any other board, why? because the professionals use it & people that no what they are taking about.

And on to caffeine, it was known for years that it would cancel out creatines effect.

Now lastly on to testosterone. I cant understand why you would have a laugh at the links. Because to be honest if you really knew what you was talking about & listened to what experts recommend rather than what your local dealer says then you would understand. I want you to give me a sample stack before I post any links, because if you think what the experts post is crap then do yourself a favour & never consider steroids. They are experts at what they do.

I really cant understand why you are mocking what I am saying. Do you think I am trying to put one over you? Apart from the creatine digestion the other fact I put to you was simply a well known fact on BCAA metabolism.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    And on to caffeine, it was known for years that it would cancel out creatines effect.

Yes and no, the reports I read suggest the effect on creatine is minimal, but if you started drinking drinks containing caffiene like there were no tommorow then there could be some negative effects going on, as it is a diuretic.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Yes and no, the reports I read suggest the effect on creatine is minimal, but if you started drinking drinks containing caffiene like there were no tommorow then there could be some negative effects going on, as it is a diuretic.
    Absolutly. :thumb:

Heres some more information from a post from bodybuilding.com sticky on creatine.
    BB.com wrote:
    "Will consuming caffeine while on creatine affect my results?"

The answer to this one is yes and no. Recent research on the topic has shown that caffeine affects the performance enhancing benefits of creatine. Therefore if you're taking creatine to get stronger or faster, then limit your caffeine intake while on creatine. However, consuming caffeine while on creatine does not affect the cell-volumizing aspect of the supplement. So if you're taking it to get bigger, taking it with caffeine is fine.

Caffeine can actually hinder nutrients from being absorbed.
  • Options
    Also COT I would like to know what supplement company owners you know. Perhaps I can give you some questions you can pass on reguarding there products.
  • Options
    I know James who owns Reflex, "small time" as you put it, even though are the one of the best supplement companies to surface in recent times, their products are second to none. I have also had extensive conversations with the owner of maximuscle, although some would say that is not really a positive. There are more.

What "nutrients" are in creatine exactly, apart from erm.. creatine?
  • Options
    I know James who owns Reflex, "small time" as you put it, even though are the one of the best supplement companies to surface in recent times, their products are second to none. I have also had extensive conversations with the owner of maximuscle, although some would say that is not really a positive. There are more.

What "nutrients" are in creatine exactly, apart from erm.. creatine?
    Yeah I love reflex. But yes Reflex is small time, hence only being available in this country.
  • Options
    If you have too much protein, it overloads in your body. Your pancreas can't produce enough enzymes to break it down and you can have all sorts of problems.

The trouble with bodybuilding nowadays is that it's such a huge business, and with huge business comes products, and with products comes the will to sell and that brings with it lies to get you to consume. Just like the pharmaceutical companies make up illnesses to sell their drugs, the bodybuilding industry says you need this and that to get big. Look at todays bodybuilders, they look like utter freaks, compeltely unnatural, even Joe Weider has admitted they're all on steroids or other such methods to bulk up.

If you're taking protein, take 1g-1.5g per kg of bodyweight, not 1g per 1lb. a kg = 2.2lbs, so basically halve your current intake, or perhaps 3/4. In all honesty though, if you want to get bigger and stronger with a physique to be proud of - that is, instead of hulking overblown ugly musculature - then head over to www.charlesatlas.com and join the board. If you think you need lots of protein, creatine and supplements, take a look at Charles Bronson (the British convict, not the actor), and Charles Atlas. It depends on what you're goals are though, if you want to be a huge hulking guy like these current bodybuilders, then by all means go ahead and do it, just be prepared for some serious joint problems and liver problems from all the crap you're loading onto your liver. If you want a fine physique, strength and power, then go to the website and give it a little browse
  • Options
    staxx wrote:
    If you have too much protein, it overloads in your body. Your pancreas can't produce enough enzymes to break it down and you can have all sorts of problems.

The trouble with bodybuilding nowadays is that it's such a huge business, and with huge business comes products, and with products comes the will to sell and that brings with it lies to get you to consume. Just like the pharmaceutical companies make up illnesses to sell their drugs, the bodybuilding industry says you need this and that to get big. Look at todays bodybuilders, they look like utter freaks, compeltely unnatural, even Joe Weider has admitted they're all on steroids or other such methods to bulk up.

If you're taking protein, take 1g-1.5g per kg of bodyweight, not 1g per 1lb. a kg = 2.2lbs, so basically halve your current intake, or perhaps 3/4. In all honesty though, if you want to get bigger and stronger with a physique to be proud of - that is, instead of hulking overblown ugly musculature - then head over to www.charlesatlas.com and join the board. If you think you need lots of protein, creatine and supplements, take a look at Charles Bronson (the British convict, not the actor), and Charles Atlas. It depends on what you're goals are though, if you want to be a huge hulking guy like these current bodybuilders, then by all means go ahead and do it, just be prepared for some serious joint problems and liver problems from all the crap you're loading onto your liver. If you want a fine physique, strength and power, then go to the website and give it a little browse
    I agree with you on protein intake. You dont need one gram per lb of body mass (even though I do, but I am a dirty bulker :razz: )

You mentioned Joe Weider has admitted they are on steroids, he has known since the 50's that they were on steroids. The fact is not everyone has the genetics of a pro bb, so they wont get as big.

Take a look at some natural bb like Layne Nortan & John Hansen, they have great genetics & there still natural. If they used steroids they would be ifbb pro's.

I feel in that trap of thinking supplements were the ansew & the only thing that happened was my wallet went on a diet.
  • Options
    I've been taking whey protein and creatine for a week and already I look a little more "filled out" I've got a protein and carb drink that I have between meals and have loaded on creatine + drinking plently of water and eating a really substantial but healthy diet. I feel a lot better for it and would recommend it to anyone for a go just to see how they feel. I've been hitting the gym too so that obviously helps but I do believe even though in such a short space of time the creatine has definately made a difference (even if it's just my muscles filled with water) it makes you feel better thus train harder etc.

Anyone agree?

As for roids though fuck that too many side effects, it's the sexual one's I'd be bothered about.
  • Options
    I am not a great fan of creatine mono, there are some bad side effects & its generally poorly absorbed. I use kre alkiline creatine, its more potent gram for gram.
  • Options
    What side effects do you speak of?

I got cramps when I was loading (still dont know whether that was necessary) but that was probably because I drank and dehydrate myself when creatine makes your body need more water, not good.

I know it can upset your stomach slightly but I've had no problems, I think whey is worse on your stomach than creatine mono... it makes me bloated like I've eated a 3 course meal in minutes. Which isn't suprising when you feel the weight of a pint of milk+the added whey.
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    I've been taking whey protein and creatine for a week and already I look a little more "filled out" I've got a protein and carb drink that I have between meals and have loaded on creatine + drinking plently of water and eating a really substantial but healthy diet. I feel a lot better for it and would recommend it to anyone for a go just to see how they feel. I've been hitting the gym too so that obviously helps but I do believe even though in such a short space of time the creatine has definately made a difference (even if it's just my muscles filled with water) it makes you feel better thus train harder etc.

Anyone agree?

As for roids though fuck that too many side effects, it's the sexual one's I'd be bothered about.

If it's just your muscles filled with water, why do it? Considering the minute you stop taking it, you're going to deflate and all the bulk and size you have now is nothing but uncoordinated mass, with no real strength except for lifting heavier weights but is ultimately useless in everyday life, and the ability to lift those weights and have a huge physique will just disappear when you stop taking what you're taking. Take the longer route and build a physique with real strength and real musculature that won't leave you just because you stop taking some supplemental shit