Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Criminal records for 'minor' offences?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few years back I was caught taking a piss down an alleyway by the Police (I know, I shouldn't have done it but I was young and immature and drunk). Consequently, I was sent a summons and after pleading guilty to it I was fined £50 with £45 costs.

I'm not sure though whether it means I have a criminal record. After doing some research, things have changed slightly and it seems that if the fine is paid within 21 days then the offence doesn't go onto your record. But this new rule came in after I was caught.

I could do with finding out whether this is on my record or not as it affects my travel plans and could stop or hinder me from visiting certain countries. The Criminal Records Bureau doesn't let individuals see their own records so they can't help. I don't really want to have to ask anyone about it as it's pretty embarressing really and the benefit of this site is that it allows anonymity so are there any legal types of Policemen/women on here who could help or at least point me in the right direction?

I also remember hearing that after 3 years a conviction is 'spent'. What does that mean? Is there a chance that after a certain amount of time an offence is wiped from your record?

Ta muchly.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You have a criminal record and you'll have it for life. When a conviction is spent it means tht you no longer have to declare it when applying for 'most' jobs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    You have a criminal record and you'll have it for life.

Ok, how do you know this for sure, please?
    Why dont you just ask the CRB about how long the conviction is on there?
    lennon wrote:
    Ok, how do you know this for sure, please?

I have one too.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    you'll have it for life.

Actualyl this may not be true.

It may be that you'll have a criminal record for 10 years if it's a minor offence, and 20 if it's more serious.

http://www.youthinformation.com/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=90766
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm currently 2 or 3 months into a 3 year offence for pissing in public.
    After 5 years my conviction is finally spent this month. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Actualyl this may not be true.

It may be that you'll have a criminal record for 10 years if it's a minor offence, and 20 if it's more serious.

http://www.youthinformation.com/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=90766

Thanks for the link, very helpful. :wave:
    You can apply for a subject access request from your local police force to see what is held on the police national computer about you.