Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Unions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm interested in finding out how to start a union in my work. Although I only work there a couple of days a week the heat is sometimes overwhelming and there are loads of complaints from customers.

I work in Bhs and we had a listening group meeting and the reason there is to be no installation of air con in store is because if we get it all the other stores have to get it and it's too expensive. It angers me to think how much money Philip Green has and how little interest he has in his workforce.

Anyway, if we had a union surely something would have to be done? At present we don't even have water coolers :|

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Usdaw is the union for shop workers Jamie.
    I think it's more a case of joining a union rather than starting one. Try http://www.usdaw.org.uk

For info about work temperatures:- http://www.usdaw.org.uk/getactive/network_journal/03/WorkTemperatures.html

ETA: Glittery beat me to it while I was searching for it!
    Cheers Shaz. Your link is wrong though :p
    Jazza wrote:
    Cheers Shaz. Your link is wrong though :p
    Har, so it was!
    i was thinking about it but you have to pay to join it. :\

if i have any problems i'll sort them out myself. :yeees:
    It's not much though and it is worth it, sorting things out yourself isnt as easy as it sounds.
    Glittery wrote:
    It's not much though and it is worth it, sorting things out yourself isnt as easy as it sounds.
    Amen

I think I'll mention it to a few other people before I think about joining. I'm only a part timer plus one person won't really make a difference.
    well i've been at tesco 4.5 years and never had a problem. i only intend being there until next summer anyway.
    you could nominate yourself to be the union rep.

not sure quite how it works..
    I'm not in my union either, just cos I'm not. I know it's not the right attitude to have, but I figure there's enough people that are in the union (like, proper long-term employees) to represent those that aren't.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    but I figure there's enough people that are in the union (like, proper long-term employees) to represent those that aren't.
    It doesnt work like that, if you have a dispute and arent in a union then you have to deal with it on your own, you wont have any support from the union.
    I'd guess it's extremely unlikely that a few part timers in one store joining USDAW will change company policy on air conditioning. It's far more likely that you'll be a few quid a week worse off and not really get anything for your money, most unions are a waste of time. If you can be bothered write to head office and keep pressuring your supervisors/managers emphasising that you have received customer complaints and are concerned about the customers you've more chance of getting somewhere. Or just get another job at somewhere with air con...
    Glittery wrote:
    It doesnt work like that, if you have a dispute and arent in a union then you have to deal with it on your own, you wont have any support from the union.

Guess that shows how well the union is promoted in my store then, I don't even know what it does.
    It is always worth joining the union if it is available- you are given protection that non-union members don't get, such as during disciplinary hearings, etc. Something that hopefully you will never have to use, but always nice to know you have it.

Unison have been helpful for the wife in her old job, its only a couple of quid (less if you're a student) and its money well spent.
    We have both T&G and AEU union reps working for the company I work for. I see them a lot (work in HR) because they often represent employees at disciplinary and capability hearings, even if they're not in the union (as Kermit said).

Also, during recent pay review talks, because the majority of T&G union members on site voted in favour of the offered rise, we all got it. If they hadn't, we wouldn't have got anything.

I'm not a union member. I don't think I have a strong enough opinion to challenge what's going on around me. The union reps are always campaigning for new members.. always hounding me..
    Disillusioned - It isn't only the part timers that feel the heat you know. The full timers complain too. And didn't you read my post? We've done the badgering bit until we're red in the face (not hard due to the fucking heat) We are getting nowhere.

Lucy - I'm going to be there during uni. Either that or I'm getting all the training I can and moving on but for the time being, I'm there.

I read the thing on usdaw.org - I'd be something like 1.23 a week which would probably be worth it as I quite like my job.

I'm not too sure whether I should speak to the admin manager or not because she's management and as we all know - the management are the enemy (Sorry Margaret :razz: )
    Don't listen to dis, he's never done a days work in his life.
    It is the customer angle you want to push, they (to put it bluntly) dont really care if a few shop staff are a bit uncomfortable, they are abiding by the law as it stands.

However, if the temperature is 30 or above you can request longer breaks, access to more drinking water and fans. Whether you'll get it or not is another matter, but you should.

www.hse.gov.uk is a good place to have a look.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Don't listen to dis, he's never done a days work in his life.

:lol: Er I actually work in retail part time like the original poster...(Although doing a different job in my gap yr along with travelling).

But going back to the point I really don't see how joining a union is going to help on this one. As bongbudda has also said the op's best change of getting somewhere is emphasising the number of customer complaints received - and encouraging customers who complain themselves to complain directly to BHS.
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is the customer angle you want to push, they (to put it bluntly) dont really care if a few shop staff are a bit uncomfortable, they are abiding by the law as it stands.

However, if the temperature is 30 or above you can request longer breaks, access to more drinking water and fans. Whether you'll get it or not is another matter, but you should.

www.hse.gov.uk is a good place to have a look.

We don't get paid for breaks so I'm not too happy with pushing for longer breaks :lol:

I will, however, be taking a thermometer with me and if the temp gets too high I will stop working. Considering I'm the only one in my dept next Sunday (again) I don't think they will be too happy :D