Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"squatters rights"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do they exist and what exactly are they if they do?

curiosity :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    do they exist and what exactly are they if they do?

curiosity :chin:
    i used to be fairly well informed about such matters but i'm way out of date now.
    blagsta who lives mostly in the PnD forum is probably the person you should ask.
    Tried Google yet?
    no i havent, thats why i posted here:yes:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    no i havent, thats why i posted here:yes:

You should really try google. It is a wonderful resource :|

One of my first hits for 'squatter's rights.'
    google.jpg

:p
    google.jpg

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Ive come across lots of posts that could have been googled, why pick on me, you'll make me cry:(
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Ive come across lots of posts that could have been googled, why pick on me, you'll make me cry:(

lol... the :p was pointing out I was just kidding and not picking on you ;):D
    yeah people use 'squatters rights' to claim parts of land that have been within their boundries, but not according to the title deeds.

principles are that you must be in possession of land and exclude all others (a matter of evidence, i.e. fencing it off, locking it with key) for 12 years.
    Ok so i totally dont get it :crazyeyes

the articles i have read suggest that the right is that you cannot be removed without a court possesion order being issued, yet the last post ***i think*** is something different again?

Basically, the image in my mind is of hippes storming an old house to do a banner-hang and then claiming they have squatters rights, so could i technically enter an empty house(given that it wasnt forced entry i presume?) and refuse to move?

There is no reason behind my asking, other than i hate it when i don't understand something and at school we were always taught to ask(not google);)

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Dianne1985 wrote:

There is no reason behind my asking, other than i hate it when i don't understand something and at school we were always taught to ask(not google);)

There's nowt wrong with asking, especially as you say the t'internet can throw up all kinds of conflicting information. It's usually a pretty safe bet (fingers crossed :razz: )you can trust the information on TheSite - and we have an article on squatting Hope it helps :thumb:
    They date back to the English civil war you know.
    Squatters rights have been largely abolished and restricted under the Law of Property Act 2003, to be honest. It's almost impossible to gain squatters rights over registered property, and land now has to be registered under the law.
    edit: changed my mind
    God i remember the good old days of squatting before the criminal justice bill when you had loads more right and things if you were a squatter (i'm so old) - mais it was muchos fun - though possibly not for the people who owned the houses which were being squatted.
    Most of the big squats in them days were council property that had been left to rot. Like Ellingfort Rd in Hackney, Villiers Rd and St Agnes Place in Brixton, Hulme in Manchester etc, or were industrial/commercial buildings that had been empty for years, like Cooltan or the 121 Centre.
    I know but most of my friends were squtting in houses that were empty but did belong to people.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Most of the big squats in them days were council property that had been left to rot. Like Ellingfort Rd in Hackney, Villiers Rd and St Agnes Place in Brixton, Hulme in Manchester etc, or were industrial/commercial buildings that had been empty for years, like Cooltan or the 121 Centre.

is this the venue they squat in in the film south west 9
    The squat in SW9 (dreadful film btw) is supposed to be the 121 Centre.
    http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/121.html