Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Airconditioning at Home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone got an aircon unit in their home? IS it loud? Practical?

I know when I was on holiday in Canada it's standard fitting in all homes, with special pipe work to funnel cooling air around the home.

I'm going nuts at night - too hot and stuffy to get any sleep.

We've got all the windows open and even the door to the loft but there's no air flow.

I've got two fans in my room perched onthe window to try and blow in some cool air but even outside air is hot!

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it will be noisy and it will eat electricity like its going out of fashion. Just survive the couple of weeks and save your money.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I have an electric fan thing on my ceiling, big, America style. Don't know if you'd count that as air con. or not though, does the same job though :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, it will be noisy and it will eat electricity like its going out of fashion. Just survive the couple of weeks and save your money.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Get a couple of fans - we ain't Americans here!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

:yes:

And very expensive they are too. I was looking at a freestanding unit the other day and it was £700!

blow that! ;)
  • Options
    Try shutting the windows! When your fans are right next to open windows all they are doing is blowing hot air into the room, when the windows are closed it will recycle the air flowing through it which will eventually cool the room down. Either that or buy a better fan. ive just got a 20 quid fan in my room and it does the job okay but my parents have a fan that cost about £50 and its miles better!
  • Options
    air conditioners are destroying my planet thankyou!
    stop being so soft ...we aint meant to be one temperature all year round man.
    in the daytime have all blinds and windows closed all day with as many windows open as possible.
    put your pillow in the fridge ...sleep naked with a cotton sheet on top and nowt else.
    air con should be illegal.
    if you have a fan ...put as big a bucket of cold water under it as possible. as the water eveaporates it will be fanned out across the room and aid cooling.
  • Options
    air conditioners are destroying my planet thankyou!
    stop being so soft ...we aint meant to be one temperature all year round man.
    in the daytime have all blinds and windows closed all day with as many windows open as possible.
    put your pillow in the fridge ...sleep naked with a cotton sheet on top and nowt else.
    air con should be illegal.

ITA!
  • Options
    well when i lived at home, we bought a ceiling fan for bedroom, was only £20 at a b&q style place. It was fab, you would lay under it with no covers and then wake up later and be able to snuggle under yer duvet because it was cool enough to:thumb:

I wish i could have one in my bedroom now but the people who were here before me put a "lovely" ceiling rose where the light fitting is so to remove it would wreck the ceiling :(

Hmm anyway yes, soooo worth 20 pounds :thumb:
  • Options
    I would not live in a place without a/c. I don't even think they should allow it.

Though I don't know wht your talking about with the noisy bit. Makes no more noise than when the heat is turned on in the winter.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    :yes:

And very expensive they are too. I was looking at a freestanding unit the other day and it was £700!

blow that! ;)

I saw something I'm sure was an aircon unit at Tesco's for less then £200
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I would not live in a place without a/c. I don't even think they should allow it.

Though I don't know wht your talking about with the noisy bit. Makes no more noise than when the heat is turned on in the winter.

I think that is cos inthe US if it's built in when the house was made the aircon unit is outside of the house completly. In the UK virtually no house has aircon and those that might would have an after the market unit that is like in the actual room with
    you.

aircon.jpg

Anyway my plan is to get a long pipe and feed it to my car, that's got aircon .. lol .. pipe it into my bedrom .. lol
  • Options
    Oh, thank you for that, I had no idea :)
  • Options
    my dads bought himself one - its massive, noisy and it needs to be near a window so you can stick a massive pipe out of it

also annoying that he's hardly ever at home now anyway and the rest of us have to put up with the heat
  • Options
    We've got one in the conservatory, but its a heat thing in Winter as well
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my dads bought himself one - its massive, noisy and it needs to be near a window so you can stick a massive pipe out of it

also annoying that he's hardly ever at home now anyway and the rest of us have to put up with the heat

I think with those kinda of aircon units the best thing to do it put them on a timer - close the door to the room and maybe have it turn itself on whilst you're out, so when you're ready to use the room it's nice and cool.

It's so easy to make things warm - but cooling stuff down is a major problem - even London underground was offering a £100,000 to anyone who could come up with an idea that would allow them to cool down the underground system in Summer - so far no one has won it!!

UK houses aren't designed to provide a constant tempreture through out the year - I know my room is baking in summer and freezing in winter - it helps if I leave the door to the room open but then the noise form things like the TV disturbs others!! It's so annoying no matter what you do you can't win!!
  • Options
    2.30am this morning I was sitting in my car. The heat in our house was ridiculous it was 31 degrees in my bedroom. I think I was a bit dehydrated aswell though cos the only "liquid" I drank yesterday was wine :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think with those kinda of aircon units the best thing to do it put them on a timer - close the door to the room and maybe have it turn itself on whilst you're out, so when you're ready to use the room it's nice and cool.

It's so easy to make things warm - but cooling stuff down is a major problem - even London underground was offering a £100,000 to anyone who could come up with an idea that would allow them to cool down the underground system in Summer - so far no one has won it!!

UK houses aren't designed to provide a constant tempreture through out the year - I know my room is baking in summer and freezing in winter - it helps if I leave the door to the room open but then the noise form things like the TV disturbs others!! It's so annoying no matter what you do you can't win!!
    my dad works shifts so he puts it on whenever he rolls in and gets to bed. Which can be the early hours of the morning. Annoying cause his room is next to mine and i'm listening to it humming while laid in a stuffy room thinking...you jammy bastard. :rolleyes:
    It probably comes up to my waist aswell - massive thing.
  • Options
    The heat is horrible at the min.

I'm really struggling to sleep in it too but hey, what can you do?
  • Options
    I was in Thailand for 4 weeks reciently, stayed in places with air con and with out, it was fine without air conditioning a fan (not a cealing fan their shit) was very good, and if its realy hot wetting a t-shirt relay keeps you cool.
  • Options
    Has anyone got an aircon unit in their home? IS it loud? Practical?

I know when I was on holiday in Canada it's standard fitting in all homes, with special pipe work to funnel cooling air around the home.

I'm going nuts at night - too hot and stuffy to get any sleep.

We've got all the windows open and even the door to the loft but there's no air flow.

I've got two fans in my room perched onthe window to try and blow in some cool air but even outside air is hot!

i'd kill for some airconditioning atm ...
  • Options
    Besides up here in Jockland we dont need air conditionoing, Ha Ha Ha

Suffer you english (based) bastards, Suffer

Its the one week of the year where its more comfortable weather in scotland
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my dad works shifts so he puts it on whenever he rolls in and gets to bed. Which can be the early hours of the morning. Annoying cause his room is next to mine and i'm listening to it humming while laid in a stuffy room thinking...you jammy bastard. :rolleyes:
    It probably comes up to my waist aswell - massive thing.

How is it jammy?

Saying that, my sister is just as bad - we have a fan in our room and she puts it right in front her bed so that I get no cool air whatsoever; even though my bed is in front of the window, it can still be very hot at night...:(
  • Options
    Besides up here in Jockland we dont need air conditionoing, Ha Ha Ha

Suffer you english (based) bastards, Suffer

we don't get the mosquitos tho. :p

ETS oh... you're in edinburgh ...... higher up you would tho'
  • Options
    More comfortable?!

I was in Newcastle last week and it's hotter here now than it was there, and I thought it was hot then.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    More comfortable?!

I was in Newcastle last week and it's hotter here now than it was there, and I thought it was hot then.

not up here its not its just warm
  • Options
    not up here its not its just warm
    You're in Edinburgh right? I live half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow and it's currently 30 degrees, to me that's more that just warm.

Im coming to stay with you ;)
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    You're in Edinburgh right? I live half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow and it's currently 30 degrees, to me that's more that just warm.

Im coming to stay with you ;)

Oh well edinburgh is windy, it is uncomfortably warm, but I wouldnt go as far as to say its baking or realy hot, not like London the tube must be uncomfortable,

U in Bathgate ?
  • Options
    If houses were designed properly in the first place there would be no need for air con. Proper insulation keeps the houses cool in summer and warm in winter.

It's not difficult to keep your house cool most of the time. Shut the blinds or curtains to keep the sun out and open you windows when you're at home to get some breeze passing through.

At night if it's really hot I just sleep with a duvet cover over me and not the actual inside duvet bit, and leave a window open and it's fine most of the time.

Air con should be banned. The more people who use air con, the worse things will get as it's just adding to the problem of climate change. Though I don't really think it'd make a difference if every air con system was permanently switched off, we're all doomed anyway. Carbon emissions are going to continue rising, and that's before you even consider China's growing use of energy.
  • Options
    U in Bathgate ?
    Thankfully not no :p

Im in a wee village near Harthill :)