Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i am going to starve myself of food till death

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a problem and after I settle my affairs I am planning to starve myself of food in protest. If I die I die. If I am not genuine then my protest will be in vane. I am not psychotic because I have been assessed recently by two psychiatrists and have a report from them. I know what I will do and the reasons for it. Can you please tell me anything about the health issues around this course of action, how long will it take to die?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    protest for what?
    and what are you going to achieve if you starve yourself to death?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    protest for what?
    and what are you going to achieve if you starve yourself to death?
    Quite!!
    Well I have problems and no one is listening to me or if they do listen they don’t care, they just care about themselves and everyone is against me. I have no one and nothing and there is nothing I can do. So I have decided not to eat because I am not worthy of food or anything material from this planet.
    stephtab wrote:
    Well I have problems and no one is listening to me or if they do listen they don’t care, they just care about themselves and everyone is against me. I have no one and nothing and there is nothing I can do. So I have decided not to eat because I am not worthy of food or anything material from this planet.

then i think your psychiatric evaluation is wrong
    stephtab wrote:

Feel free to offload your problems here....
    but i am not mad because i want to protest
    stephtab wrote:
    but i am not mad because i want to protest

Why don't you tell us a bit more about it...
    You are not mad to want to protest, but wanting to starve yourself to death is a little unusual if not crazed.

Have you explored other forms of protest?

What is the problem and why do you find it so severe as to want to take your own life?
    stephtab wrote:

by taking this course of action do you not think that you are just thinking about yourself, making you the same as the others that you are trying to distance yourself from, have you ever thought how it might affect your family and/or friends if you went ahead and did this?
    stephtab wrote:
    So you are starving yourself for attention then?!
    many issues

I am in a deep vortex of problems, many issues I try to handle. My problems are my family. The ones who are part of the problems of course I can’t turn to them. The ones that are not party to my problems – that’s just it – they don’t want to help, or cant help, or don’t know how or don’t or cant get involved. Everyone is against me; I have no influence, no power to change my situation. In death there is peace. The way I see it we all die anyway, so the loved ones left behind will soon discover their own death in time and thus find their own peace. I don’t think not eating is killing myself; it is just not wanting anything from this corrupt world. My heart is broken – the glass flower within my heart has been hurt. I am at like a flower at the bottom of a deep dark pit on a pile of warms. I cannot determine my circumstances. The moves of the worms determine my fate.
    yes, i am i guess, it is the only way to either have the chance of being listened to by the people that aim to cause me harm.
    i get death without killing myself and i might get listened to
    stephtab wrote:
    i get death without killing myself and i might get listened to
    The only thing you will achieve if you die is cause pain to the ones that care for you, the same people you want to listen to you.

Have you told someone that's close to you or maybe someone you know who;s not so close to you what you wrote here?
    Have you told your therapist?

Sometimes one person can't handle too many problems, not all at once anyway...
    Have you tried looking at each problem individually and tried to solve them one by one? baby steps

There's always someone who will listen to you, even if they are a stranger.
    Sometimes it helps just to get rid of all your thoughts by talking to someone or writing them down and it might help you see the situation in a different way.
    I don’t have a therapist. I never told the psychiatrists who assessed me recently of my plan. Because I am not mentally ill if they learnt of my plan they could not then say that I was ill or depressed. I am not depressed I just need attention because I have tried handling my problems by writing and as you write dealing with each problem step by step, but all my problems are connected you see and because I have got nowhere by writing, in fact the problems go worse, no matter how or what way I tried and try I see no progress. I have a list of issues and agencies that I am having to communicate with if and when they listen and or believe me, since they don’t right now thus they are against me. So the only way out for me is to refrain from food and drink. I don’t know how long I will have but at least I tried to solve my problems in the best ways. I guess luck and circumstances were not on my side.
    stephtab wrote:
    I don’t have a therapist. I never told the psychiatrists who assessed me recently of my plan. Because I am not mentally ill if they learnt of my plan they could not then say that I was ill or depressed. I am not depressed I just need attention because I have tried handling my problems by writing and as you write dealing with each problem step by step, but all my problems are connected you see and because I have got nowhere by writing, in fact the problems go worse, no matter how or what way I tried and try I see no progress. I have a list of issues and agencies that I am having to communicate with if and when they listen and or believe me, since they don’t right now thus they are against me. So the only way out for me is to refrain from food and drink. I don’t know how long I will have but at least I tried to solve my problems in the best ways. I guess luck and circumstances were not on my side.

If the psychiatrists knew all this, they would have treated the situation differently.
    No one is saying you are depressed.
    We all get stressed, sometimes to the point where we don't really see a way out!!
    I know it's happened to me.
    I am guessing that your family and friends don't know how strongly you feel about your situation, did you talk to them?
    NO one is against you, and if an agency is being nasty to you or harassing you then you can deal with this.
    I know it's hard to realize but refraining from food and drink won't solve anything.
    Honestly, not having all the details, I find it hard to say anything that might help you.
    But, firstly you have to realize you are not on your own.
    Secondly, there is never just ONE option.
    you think i will suffer.
    im writing by book. when i have finished i will begin the process of refraining from food. im going to sleep now, good night.
    Instead of trying to convince your psch that your not troubled why don't you actually talk to them.
    stephtab wrote:
    you think i will suffer.
    Yeah, then you'll get brought to hospital and they'll put you on a drip and that will feed you, so I doubt you could starve yourself to death. Chances are you won't be able to take it that far though. Think about the stomach ache you get when you haven't eaten for a few hours, then times that by a thousand, and that's the sort of thing you're looking at.
    Yeah, then you'll get brought to hospital and they'll put you on a drip and that will feed you, so I doubt you could starve yourself to death. Chances are you won't be able to take it that far though. Think about the stomach ache you get when you haven't eaten for a few hours, then times that by a thousand, and that's the sort of thing you're looking at.
    I think thats probably what would happen.
    Its a real shame that you feel so hopeless.
    has something in particular happened to trigger you feeling this way?
    try it. starve yourself to near death. it won't make anyone listen to you. you're going about it totally the wrong way. if you want someone to listen to you then ffs phone the samaritans.
    otter wrote:
    try it. starve yourself to near death. it won't make anyone listen to you. you're going about it totally the wrong way. if you want someone to listen to you then ffs phone the samaritans.

:yes: Surely there must be someone you can talk to?
    i doubt you'll actually manage to starve yourself to death - either you'll cave in or you'll be put in hospital.
    Plus once you're dead - you still can't be listened to so you're not actually achieving anything.
    the samaritans phone no btw is 08457 909090
    I'm sorry to hear that your in a situation where you're considered such a drastic action, it's obviously an incredibly difficult time for you at the moment, one where you feel isolated and under to talk to people.

There are people you can talk to, with no repurcusions or concern about who else might hear about what you are saying. One place is these boards and if you feel able then explain more about your situation may take some of the load from you.

Other possible people you can talk to include the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90, or you can text or email them (details on the website)

Another alternative is Supportline, who provide confidential emotion support on 020 8554 9004

These numbers aren't perfect solutions, or a magical cure to your situation but can provide an outlet for discussing how you are feeling.

You've mentioned that you haven't discussed your plans with your psychiatrist, and I understand how such thoughts may seem impossible to be open to people who can such an influence on your life can be, but you may be surprised by how helpful being totally open will be.

You mention writing a book, so there's a natural affinity for writing there, so why not write down how you feel and send it or tead it out to your psychiatrist. You may find that by doing this you have enough distance to be honest and it may open new ways to get support.

I'd also suggest thinking about whether this is something you need to keep secret, or really can't talk about to family and friends. After all your talking about a decision that will ultimately alter your life, can trying to talk to friends or family have an equally dramatic effect? There's certainly a better chance of it having a positive effect.

So please, think about your options and think about whether you can take some small steps, as impossible or scary as they may seem now, to make your situation and difficulties more obvious to those around you, without having to do something that may not work, and would certainly end an hope of an improvement.
    Expect to live for 60 or so days if you do decide to do it.
    Jim V wrote:
    I'd also suggest thinking about whether this is something you need to keep secret, or really can't talk about to family and friends. After all your talking about a decision that will ultimately alter your life, can trying to talk to friends or family have an equally dramatic effect? There's certainly a better chance of it having a positive effect.

So please, think about your options and think about whether you can take some small steps, as impossible or scary as they may seem now, to make your situation and difficulties more obvious to those around you, without having to do something that may not work, and would certainly end an hope of an improvement.

:yes:

Hiya stephtab

Don't forget you can also talk openly here if you are comfortable doing so. Remember it's anonymous and you only have to tell us what you feel you want to. Sometimes just getting things off your chest can help - and if people here knew more details they might be able to offer good advice on how to deal with the problems you're going through.

Sometimes problems can seem insurmountable, but small steps can help you get out of the low you're feeling.

I hope you can find a way to start the healing process - there have been lots of useful suggestions here - think them over and see if you can find one that you could try.

take care
    Since you asked, it can take between two to three months to die of starvation, during which your body would undergo loss of tissue and most likely a painful and, depending on your sensitivities, embarassing shut down of organs before you die. So yes, I believe you would suffer.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that if you do eventually fall unconscious, which you will, your next-of-kin has the right to take you off the strike without your permission.
    you we probably be sectioned and put on a drip before you could die. Everyone here will help you if we can.
This discussion has been closed.