Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Birth control and comprimise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably a pointless question anyways, as the only birth control I've found that doesn't make me certifaible is the one I'm one. It also didn't matter that much because, thanks to expensive healthcare, the one I'm on was the cheap one for my insurance plan at the time.

However...

Now my insurance has changed and I have to pay full price for *all* concrapectives, so the cheap reasoning means nothing anymore. Also, I'm not a huge fan of periods. As much as I love buying tampons and having Ed yell out super absorbancy and then facing the product as I pay for them.

But anways, there are now lots of pills that hinder your menstrul cycle. I've looked into one imparticular. It gives you four periods a year. Its the same price and I talked to a pharmacist at work and a girl I work with who was on it also. She gets just as nutty as me with 99% of pills. She said it wasn't too bad and the pharmacist said its not as bad for the insane people.

Now, after alot of unneeded information, comes the reason why its in relationships and the comprimise part. I know its my body and I can do what I want and all that stuff with it and I would love to cut down 1/3 of my broken times. However Ed is not comfortable with this. We've talked about it a couple times and it boils down to that he's not comfortable with no periods. Leaves some guessing in there.

Now to be honest, the only safer sex we could have is if we didn't have sex at all. He's completly anal (not literally) with stuff like that. I don't know if he has some accidental kid hiding out there and thats why, but you know, we all have our reasons.

I guess with this rambly post I'm just asking for opinions. I'm comfortable and confident with missed periods and would like to look into changing my pills for something like that. Theres a large chance I won't react well to them and will have to go back with what I'm on anways.

He is not comfortable with missed periods and I take his opinion and what he wants seriously. I don't want to go changing things that partially effects us both without him being ok with it. I really do care what he thinks.

What would you do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Similar/different situation to you. I have an IUS and I rarely get periods at all now, sometimes 1 day of spotting in 3 months, it's very sporadic. I had it fitted a year before I met my boyfriend, and he was worried that I wouldn't be able to tell if I was pregnant due to the missed/irregular periods, his paranoia being due to an ex of his becoming pregnant, and they only discovered this after she started having symptoms.

I didn't want to have my coil taken out, so I reassured him that I take a pregnancy test each month. I bought them in bulk online, I think it was about £5 for 20 dip stick sensitive tests, and it takes me all of three minutes for peace of mind.
    Thank you. Thats a good idea. I'll have to bring that up to him as an option :)
    It's not like we blokes notice every month another non-period though. Maybe once in a while I might think about it but generally no. I think his paranoia would go down once you've started with it.
    Mist wrote:
    It's not like we blokes notice every month another non-period though. Maybe once in a while I might think about it but generally no. I think his paranoia would go down once you've started with it.

I don't know, hes weird :p He notices before I do. I"ve got the triphasic or whatever so each pill is a different color, about a week before, he'll be like, oh, you'll be broken in a week, every time I have to open the pill case and be like, hmmm... yeah, I guess the green pills are coming up.

He was like that when I was on the shot. My periods still came regularly but I never knew when, it still managed to be a shock to me, he was always the one who would warn me when its going to be :o.
    So he just got home, I started out on the whole, I know your feeling on concrapectives that don't give you warnings every month, and got about 2 sentences into the I could take a test each month. He proceded to give me the, its your choice in the end speech. I know he's not comfortalbe with it. I know he wouldn't be ok, on the inside, any opinions? Should I just go and try one of them and see how he reacts?
    on a side note, i cant believe u have to pay for contraception!
    Yeah, me too, almost 1.50 a pill, if I can count correctly, and I don't even take the last seven :grump:
    Take him at his word then if it's "your choice". Just do what you want, he can like it or lump it :)
    you have to pay to be on the pill?

im shocked!:eek:
    Mist wrote:
    Take him at his word then if it's "your choice". Just do what you want, he can like it or lump it :)

That's what I thought as well, but didn't say anything because I thought it sounded slightly rude.
    you have to pay to be on the pill?

im shocked!:eek:

They dont have an NHS in the US.
    bongbudda wrote:
    They dont have an NHS in the US.
    But you would still think that this would be free!
    VinylVicky wrote:
    But you would still think that this would be free!

Free from who?
    bongbudda wrote:
    Free from who?
    the government, of course. surely it would be less costly to prevent birth? but then im not even sure on what welfare they have there.....but surely if they dont get benefits then there is more povity if there are more births. but then again i dont even know what the birth rate is.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    the government, of course. surely it would be less costly to prevent birth? but then im not even sure on what welfare they have there.....but surely if they dont get benefits then there is more povity if there are more births. but then again i dont even know what the birth rate is.

There isnt much benefit or state support, if you're really poor then you do get some help, but if you're above the bread line then basically you get bugger all. Unless your a pensioner that is, when you get medicare which means cheap drugs (largely because of the number of old voters).
    Even afte rsaying all this, I am still so highly suprised contraception isn't available free. Not just because I'm used to it being free but that fact that it seems logical to allow it to be.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Even afte rsaying all this, I am still so highly suprised contraception isn't available free. Not just because I'm used to it being free but that fact that it seems logical to allow it to be.

In some ways America is very different from here, not only in ethics but their government does a lot less for people.
    So it seems. However, I would have thought free birth control was just as much, if not more, for themselves (the government, that is) and regulating births.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    So it seems. However, I would have thought free birth control was just as much, if not more, for themselves (the government, that is) and regulating births.

But having lots of kids is good for a country, thats why they are getting younger and us in Europe are getting older.

I'd be surprised though if you couldn't go into some drop in clinics and get free condoms.
    bongbudda wrote:
    But having lots of kids is good for a country, thats why they are getting younger and us in Europe are getting older.

I'd be surprised though if you couldn't go into some drop in clinics and get free condoms.
    and they do have masses of land, unlike us
    VinylVicky wrote:
    and they do have masses of land, unlike us

Yes and no, they've got loads of land, but huge chunks of it are useless.

We've got enough, more than enough really, its just people would rather live in the South East than the North East.