Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sad adverts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok so i suppose this isnt exactly 'entertainment' but i'd probably get flamed for putting it elsewhere.

I've just seen this advert about a cancer charity which showed a young girl receiving treatment and her parents just looking sad and trying to be strong whilst a slow song by what sounded like keane played in the background.
Not many adverts seem to do this but this one just made me sad and made me really want to help the charity (which i guess was the whole point of the ad)

Another advert that made me feel this way is the one where theres a woman trying on a wedding dress and looks over her shoulder and says 'my mum should be here'.

What adverts have affected you ?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The NSPCC ones ALWAYS get to me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Those adverts piss me off. I lost my mum to cancer last year and everytime I see them I feel shit.

If you watch the UKhistory channel it's full of them.

This is a harsh ad...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4vp7gjKSRY&search=child%20abuse
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I hate the one about drink driving in a pub and the woman gets thrown across the pub.
  • Options
    I have to turn over the RSPCA ones, especially the dead kitten (He will never know how sweet life can be....) and the dog (no one loves you when you're old...) As they make me cry :(

Also the cancer research one, where he sees his wife in the mirror and the 'Mum should be here' they both make me cry.
  • Options
    The one with the dancing bear :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Tweety wrote:
    I hate the one about drink driving in a pub and the woman gets thrown across the pub.

Don't drink and sit at tables then! Sorry... that advert annoys me. If your going to make a drink driving one, do better than that.

Aid ones, RSPCA, and NSPCC ones make me feel really sad... people who abuse people or animals should be shot. In the fucking knees.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    The one with the dancing bear :(
    Yeah, i really dont like that advert! makes me want to go vigilante on all the people holding them captive!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Don't drink and sit at tables then!

:confused:
  • Options
    These adverts don't make me feel sad or bad, because I have serious issues with the charities who run them.

If a charity can afford a multi-million advertising campaign, and if a charity can afford to pay its CEO a six-figure salary, then it doesn't need my money. I also have issues with what the RSPCA in particular pisses its money away on.

As for the drink-driving ones, the most telling advert I've seen recently is the one where the kid gets hit and stands up again. Because the car was doing 25mph instead of 35mph.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

lol
  • Options
    I think they showed this on mtv. A group of teens hanging out and playing with a video camera and the boy walks into the road and gets hit by a car. It's scarily quick and the screaming :(
  • Options
    None affect me, cos I never see any as I have no TV... it's great...
  • Options
    The worst one is the advert where the girl is slumped by the tree and all her bones click into place, ugh, makes me stomach turn

I have to turn off the one where the man gets knocked off his bike too, it reminds me of my dad. Not because that happened to him or anything, but because it easily could.. :(
  • Options
    Kermit - out of interest, what does the RSPCA piss it's money away on?

The advert with the little girl and the tree always gets me.
  • Options
    The NSPCC and RSPCA one's are always sad :crying:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Tweety wrote:

The one where the lass gets thrown across the pub... the two lads are sitting at a table that hits her, and it talks about drink driving.

They are sitting at a table... not a car. So tables are obviously dangerous when drunk!
    Cazzoo wrote:
    The worst one is the advert where the girl is slumped by the tree and all her bones click into place, ugh, makes me stomach turn

Eheheh. I thought that was for a new Zombie film when I saw it first... at the cinema! Then I laughed...

Does that make me bad? Should I stop thinking about Zombies? ARE they going to kill us?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The one where the lass gets thrown across the pub... the two lads are sitting at a table that hits her, and it talks about drink driving.

They are sitting at a table... not a car. So tables are obviously dangerous when drunk!

Yus, sorry bit slow atm
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    RSPCA/PDSA/any other animal charity - I seem to have more compassion for animals than people
    Which is completely beyond me. The RSPCA gets something absurd and slightly sickening like 5 times more cash a year than the NSPCC.

It's just a dog, really. There are more important things.
  • Options
    i think the point of the one with the men drinking at the table is to try and show how easily it can happen
    i tend to get more upset by the animal ones, like the wspa one with the bears
  • Options
    I know our zoo is constantly slagging off the WWF, because they say that they do fuck all, and your money just goes towards big offices in exotic locations. In fact, they mentioned something about them claiming to be helping save the tigers, despite not having a single ranger on the ground. Dunno about the RSPCA though.

I don't tend to find any adverts sad. They're almost always actors, and even when they aren't, I just assume they are. Particularly that one with the girl on a drip with cancer, especially when she's running around in the Petit Filous advert afterwards.

I do usually find those little mini-documentaries on Comic Relief and stuff like that quite sad. But generally, I'm a cold-hearted bastard.
  • Options
    Those yoghurts either have amazing healing properties or are really bad for your health :p
  • Options
    yeah, the one with the polar bear gone mad makes me quite sad :( other than that one - im not sure!
  • Options
    I dont like those smoking adverts. Like the one when the women has to rely on an oxygen bottle & cant talk properly. Personally I dont think its fair the people who dont smoke having to watch them.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I think they showed this on mtv. A group of teens hanging out and playing with a video camera and the boy walks into the road and gets hit by a car. It's scarily quick and the screaming :(

That's a fake.

The only one's that half affect me are the one's that show near dead Ethiopian children and shit like that.
  • Options
    the animal ads get me all the time. im always surprised at how many african children are born when theyre supposed to be so weak from not eating yet they can fuck like rabbits. fair enough they dont have any precautions and what not but im surprised after a hard day of trying to survive on shitty water they would want to bring another child into the world to feel the same hardship as they are dealing with. I just dont understand it.
  • Options
    All the Halifax ads
    Weetabix ad with "I will survive"
    all the "injury lawyers" type ads
  • Options
  • Options
    Addict wrote:

Thats quite good that one.

No adverts really bother me. Can't see how some of them can affect anyone to be honest.
  • Options

Lets start with the adminstrative staff on mega wages, and move on through the multi-million advertising campaigns and the aggressive student fundraisers.

The anti-fox-hunting campaign.

The pointless prosecutions against people who have done no wrong- such as the couple who were prosecuted for daring to go on holiday for a weekend and leave the cat outside, with access to food and shelter in the garden not the house.

The RSPCA piss millions of pounds away every year, I find their politics odious at best, and I point-blank refuse to give them a single penny.

And I really hate the way that, because they say they care about animals, people get it into their heads that the RSPCA do good.