Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Political correctness

1235»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They are transcient indeed, but they aren't living things.
    turlough wrote:
    They are transcient indeed, but they aren't living things.
    Oh, you know what she meant though. :p
    \
    \
    What I'm trying to say though, is the word "fireman" actively offensive?
    If language isn't constantly changing, then why are we not still talking like they do in Shakespeare plays?
    you haven't been to yorkshire.
    you haven't been to yorkshire.
    Ey up.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Why would anyone object to the generic term being "firefighter", anyway?

No one, just don't need to change it. It's hardly as if woman aren't smart enough to know that they can be fireman. Are you implying that these words have some sort of subliminal messages or something?
    Sofie wrote:
    The friend I was talking about is Jewish. One of the things he isn't allowed to do is use God's name in vain (for example, saying 'oh my god') and wehn I'm talking to him, I don't use God's name in that wy. I have done it on the odd occasion when I've been with other friends of mine though.

Are you close enough to speak openly with him ?

Could he tell you who he thinks is restricting his behaviour ? And why would that entity( whoever he believes it to be) do that to him ? Is the restriction threatening ?

That`s just a few for starters. Why not be a good friend(if you consider yourself to be one) and ask those questions.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    You and I clearly have very different ideas about what it means to be a good friend.

I`m curious. What does it mean to you to be a good friend ?
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Well it would certainly involve being repsectful of my friend's religious and spiritual beliefs, and not going on some crusading mission to show them the error of their ways or force my own beliefs down their throat. I have plenty of friends who pray to Gods I don't believe in, and I wouldn't dream of engaging in the kind of arrogant behaviour you suggest.

Why do you consider asking questions arrogant ?:confused::confused: That seems a strange thing to say. Where did you acquire the belief that questioning is arrogance ?
    seeker wrote:
    Why do you consider asking questions arrogant ?:confused::confused: That seems a strange thing to say. Where did you acquire the belief that questioning is arrogance ?
    It depends on your motives, surely. Asking questions to learn more about them is fine, that's how we learn. Asking questions with the intention of changing their beliefs isn't. It's unbelievebly arrogant to assume that you could somehow 'show them the error of their ways'. Not suggesting that this is what you do at all when you're asking people things like this, but there do seem to be people like this with many different beliefs.

I think the key to respecting other people's beliefs is that you can understand how they came to that conclusion (and in this way, asking questions can only be a positive thing). I can respect people who have seen all of the available evidence for something, and have come to a conclusion about what they believe, even if it's something that I disagree with. And as for lifestyle choices, I can respect someone for choosing a lifestyle which I don't share, in order to have a positive effect on themselves and others, whether this is a religion, or something simple like choosing to eat healthily.
    seeker wrote:
    Are you close enough to speak openly with him ?

Yes, but I don't see him much now because of the 3 weeks.
    Could he tell you who he thinks is restricting his behaviour ? And why would that entity( whoever he believes it to be) do that to him ? Is the restriction threatening ?

Maybe. There is a Jewish FAQ site which does answer this question I think. I'll have a look at it later and post the answer.
    That`s just a few for starters. Why not be a good friend(if you consider yourself to be one) and ask those questions.

This isn't something we normally talk about, tbh.
    It depends on your motives, surely. Asking questions to learn more about them is fine, that's how we learn. Asking questions with the intention of changing their beliefs isn't. It's unbelievebly arrogant to assume that you could somehow 'show them the error of their ways'. Not suggesting that this is what you do at all when you're asking people things like this, but there do seem to be people like this with many different beliefs.

I think the key to respecting other people's beliefs is that you can understand how they came to that conclusion (and in this way, asking questions can only be a positive thing). I can respect people who have seen all of the available evidence for something, and have come to a conclusion about what they believe, even if it's something that I disagree with. And as for lifestyle choices, I can respect someone for choosing a lifestyle which I don't share, in order to have a positive effect on themselves and others, whether this is a religion, or something simple like choosing to eat healthily.

I`m With Stupid,

What are your thoughts on this statement ?

"The truly open mind will accept and answer any question"
    Sofie wrote:
    Maybe. There is a Jewish FAQ site which does answer this question I think. I'll have a look at it later and post the answer.

Do you not think your friend could answer those questions for himself,without consultation ?
    Maybe, but I like said, it's the 3 weeks so he's not around that much.
    This thread has been both an enthralling and amusing read. I get the distinct impression that anyone speaking out against political correctness, to whatever extent, has suffered the insinuation that they’re in fact a rabid closet racist, whose incessant frothing at the mouth only ceases long enough for them to express concern at the decline in gay-bashings nowadays.

Political correctness, as far as I can see, isn’t synonymous with being respectful of other people. I appreciate it is often a loaded term used by the less than respectable newspapers, however, I do resent having my vocabulary so frequently officially revised as new things are discovered that people may take offence to. I know that calling the disabled lad next door a “spastic” is likely to cause offence, as I’m sure will calling him “differently-abled” or telling him he has “complex needs” in a few years time. I guess I resent the insinuation that I’m incapable of understanding how interacting with other people works and that somehow calling something by a different name will make one iota of difference to how people really think about things.

I also think you could put forward a reasonable argument that political correctness is a watered down newspeak.