Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American Visa Application

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just want to rant about the disgrace that is getting a vistor's visa to the States. In order to get one, I need to fill out 4 seperate forms (A DS-156/157/158 and DS-2059), get 2 letters (invitation letter, funding letter) and travel ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BLOODY LONDON AT MY OWN EXPENSE (even though there is a US embassy in Edinburgh), pay $100 for a SEVIS fee (who I am etc, kept on computer in the states), plus a £65 application fee for the visa, + £15 courier service for my passport to be returned. I tell you, it's bloody minded reactionism at its best... After this trip, I don't think I'd bother going back... It was never this bad before 9/11, and personally I think that it's all just a fucking excuse to get some money from eedgit foreigners like me...

Comments

• Options
    Yeah it sucks don't it. Just wait til you have to queue for 3+ hours in the boiling hot embassy in london too. :(
  • Options
    Couldn't you get a visa waiver? Anyone from the EU can, just fill the green form on the plane.

Though I agree things have gotten out of hands. I know of two sad cases. One is a French guy who used to live there 25 years ago and worked as a waiter. He overstayed his visa for a couple of years, after which he moved back to England permanently. He's been going every year to the US for business on a visa waiver without problems. But after 9/11 he gets pulled aside and detained for several hours at Customs. Since then he has to apply for a visa every time, and they're stopping him at customs each time.

The other one is a US citizen who has lived there most of his life but happened to be born in Pakistan. You can imagine the rest...
  • Options
    Yeah, think I might be staying in Europe for a while.
  • Options
    surely it would be just less hassle to apply for a biometric passport type thing - though they are bit hit and miss as to weather you actually get one or not (you can tick a box on the form requesting one but they dont' always honor your request or even if you have a machine readable passport you should be fine for another year or so and not need a visa.

The Americans are twats though i remember once when we got to LAX they just revoked my Dad's business visa on the spot saying that they'd decided to revoke everyone who had that type of visa and not tell them - which you know is nice.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    surely it would be just less hassle to apply for a biometric passport type thing

My guess is that is the reaction they want. "Biometric passport type thing" for all.Caveat emptor ;)
  • Options
    the only time you are not covered by the visa waiver thing for a visit to the states is if you've ever been arrested or have overstayed your last visit or whatever.
    The whole visit to the embassy i gather is like being arrested but not quite, you get your fingerprints taken, a digi photo, a 2 hour interview, they look over your work history, study history etc... plus the fees...

One of my friends is going to study in the states and she was accepted for this college but she needs this I20 form from the college which needs to be signed by her and the college and has to be done in person... so she has to go there and do that and then come back here and apply for a J-5 visa....it's all fucken time consuming and stressful for her....
    The embassy only works like 9-430 mon - fri, i don't understand how they manage to get all the appts in!!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    The whole visit to the embassy i gather is like being arrested but not quite, you get your fingerprints taken, a digi photo, a 2 hour interview, they look over your work history, study history etc... plus the fees...
    I never had a 2-hour interview, but there were still the fingerprints, photo and forms. My company paid for my visa, then sent all of us on an overnight coach to London to visit the embassy. (Its the only time I've ever been to London, next time i'm taking the train!) They arranged everything, all we had to do was queue, which after a night on a coach (I can never sleep on a coach) was like some sort of endurance challenge. I was tired and irritated by the time I got to the front of the queue and I think I upset the lady behind the desk by taking out my frustrations on her (the less said about that the better).
  • Options
    As far as I understand it, the visa waiver is only for tourists who are staying less than a month (or something). I'm not sure whether the 'biometirc passport thing' would necessarily get me through US passport control. The thing that annoys me about this is that it was completely unnecessary to go down to the embassy before 9/11. I'm not sure whether it actually achieves anything. Oh, and well looking forward to a three hour wait to talk to some numb-nutted yank who doesn't have a clue. My appointment is at 2:15pm. For those who have been, when do you think I should get there (i.e. Captain Slog & Wooooah?)
  • Options
    I had an interview there for a J-1 working visa. Queue was huge. Interview lasted about a minute and was pretty much a waste of time. As if they can tell you are dodgy just by asking you a few questions.
  • Options
    i'm barred.
    won't let me in but ...sneaking in is pretty easy.
    not sure what the penalties are if i get caught though ...six months jail i can handle but no more.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I had an interview there for a J-1 working visa. Queue was huge. Interview lasted about a minute and was pretty much a waste of time. As if they can tell you are dodgy just by asking you a few questions.
    See, this is what pisses me off (as well as everything else about the process...). I mean, I need to travel for a day for a 2 minute interview?! WTF? I'm going to complain when I'm down there.
  • Options
    i'm barred.
    won't let me in but ...sneaking in is pretty easy.
    not sure what the penalties are if i get caught though ...six months jail i can handle but no more.

Why are you barred? Were you arrested for drugs offences?
  • Options
    A work colleague of mine had a 20-year old record for drug offences... for which he didn't even go to jail at the time, not being serious enough.

Still, it took many many thousands of Pounds through lawyers' fees, applications, interviews, letters of recommendation and the rest for the Americans eventually to agree to a one-year visa. Subsequent visas have been easier though.
  • Options
    I love the visa waiver questions as well. "Are are entering the US with the intention to commit a crime or terrorist act?"

Mmm... let me think that one over officer.
  • Options
    Why are you barred? Were you arrested for drugs offences?
    yes ...supplying. plus a few other crimes involving money.
    don't know about now but back in the late seventies and early eighties ...if you were convicted of class A supply there was a terrorist connection meaning you couldn't posess or carry any kind of firearm ...not even a kids toy gun for eleven years.
    the yanks don't look kindly omn such things.
    then theres the fact i'm an ex convict ...then theres the fact that i am considered to be a drug addict ...even though thats all over twenty years ago.
    so ...i am a bank robbing drug dealing junky terrorist.
    they imagine i will make their countries problems worse.
  • Options
    You should change your first name to Mohammed for good measure :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You should change your first name to Mohammed for good measure :D
    and wear towels and sheets.
    mohammed roll ...i like it.
  • Options
    yes ...supplying. plus a few other crimes involving money.
    don't know about now but back in the late seventies and early eighties ...if you were convicted of class A supply there was a terrorist connection meaning you couldn't posess or carry any kind of firearm ...not even a kids toy gun for eleven years.
    the yanks don't look kindly omn such things.
    then theres the fact i'm an ex convict ...then theres the fact that i am considered to be a drug addict ...even though thats all over twenty years ago.
    so ...i am a bank robbing drug dealing junky terrorist.
    they imagine i will make their countries problems worse.

Crazy beans! Maybe you should write a book, Mohammed Roll : How to rob banks for fun and profit. Whilst high. On horse tranquilisers.
  • Options
    Crazy beans! Maybe you should write a book, Mohammed Roll : How to rob banks for fun and profit. Whilst high. On horse tranquilisers.
    i;'m at chapter four ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I love the visa waiver questions as well. "Are are entering the US with the intention to commit a crime or terrorist act?"

Mmm... let me think that one over officer.

Yeah, someone is really going to admit to that, aren't they?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    In Brazil when you go through customs they now have three different queues- one for Brazilians, one for foreigners and one for Americans. They make the Americans pay over double the price for the visa, only serve that queue after everyone else has been seen to and take a full set of finger prints and photos. Makes them feel ´at home´or something.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I honestly don't see why any rational person would go to the US these days (when it can be avoided). It's like going to Mordor, in more ways than one.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    In Brazil when you go through customs they now have three different queues- one for Brazilians, one for foreigners and one for Americans. They make the Americans pay over double the price for the visa, only serve that queue after everyone else has been seen to and take a full set of finger prints and photos. Makes them feel ´at home´or something.

Ha Ha I think that's brilliant actually

All countries should have a seperate line for Americans (unless they are site members then they should get special treatement)

I was in the USA a few months before the towers fell - and I've not been back since but stories of all the hassle people have - just put me off from bothering to go there on holiday - I'd love to know how their new policies have affected their tourism business
  • Options
    I honestly don't see why any rational person would go to the US these days (when it can be avoided). It's like going to Mordor, in more ways than one.

Tbh you're missing out on a lot if you allow your extreme anti-American views to deter you from visiting what is one of the greatest countries in the world. America is a fantastic country, there are some brilliant places to visit and as a Brit I'm ashamed to say it but Americans are generally a lot friendlier. (I'm a British citizen and have been to the US since 9/11 and I've had no probs at all at immigration).
  • Options
    Well, I've been three times, twice by myself. The second time was before 9/11, third time was after. Both times had no problems with immigration at all, and getting a visa was a matter of filling out an IAP-66 and posting it off. A few years later now, I've heard it's gotten out of hand, with people being refused entry for daft things, and obviously the visa application thing is now crazy. I'm going over there to study at University of Arizona as part of my Ph.D., and I would maybe like to emmigrate there when I'm about 30ish. It's a great country, and the people are really friendly. I think it's the typical 'yanks' who come to Britain, and whom most Brits come into contact with, that give Americans a bad name, but the 'regular' people in the States are just not like this. It might be hard to believe, but I was suprised as well when I discovered this.
  • Options
    :lol: love it!