Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Problem with pc (not Starting up)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i know it was stupid of me but i too ksome memory from a pc that were not using at the minute and put it into my pc... it was working fine up to me doing this . I put it in and turned it on, but the monitor stayed in standby and there was no startup beep or anything.. so i took that memory back out and its still doing this . ive checked all the cabled , flashed the bios... checked its not my sound card or graphics card. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check that you didn't dislodge the old memory in any way.

Is the power supply fan coming on?
    Are you sure it's the correct type of ram for your PC? Is the ram damaged in any way?
    Yeh

I took out the memory i tried adding so its in the state it was before .. its just not working . the old memory is in correctly as i checked and the power supply fan is working yes..

oh and the memory worked fine in the other pc. but i i hear mixing different memory sticks can cause problems.. just no idea what to do next...
    Switch the little plastic jumper near the battery for a couple of seconds - this should erase any CMOS information, and allow the PC to boot. You'll have to go into your bios and set the date, hard drives, etc - but you'll be cool with that, seeing as you've been plugging memory in and out :).

An easier option is to try holding down the 'insert' key whilst powering the machine on, but it isn't widely supported.

The jumper should be labelled - "Clear CMOS" or something along those lines. If it says something else entirely, then it almost certainly isn't the right one! If you post back here with the make and model of the board I'll work out where you should be looking.
    Yeh i did that already. but ive just done it again. Nothing happens . normally when ive flashed it it comes on but this time its just not done anything. i press the power button ... the power coems on fans start etc. cd drive makes a noise.. but theres no beep and nothing happens . obviosly nothing is loading? =[
    Im not the best in this area:nervous:

But mabye its the GFX card? :nervous: Thats what i would think if i got no image on the screen

Edit: Mabye a new laptop matt ;)
    its not the gfx card . me and a friend have practically limited it down the the ram (unlikely) or the motherboard (likely) .. =[ . Yeh laptop for me?
    You know you want one!!! Get one just like mine

( And for people who dont know Matts my fwiend! ) :wave:
    Doubt ill get a laptop.. stil lcant figure out whats wrong with this.
    If you're local to Stafford, then feel free to pop it over. :)
    Maybe you blew up soemthing with static?

Did you take your shoes and socks off first?

Touch a raditor or anything like that?

Static can easily blow up a computer part.

Static from a Tv set blew up my cousin's soundcard in his laptop, needed a totally new motherboard
    Well ill speak on matts behalf, its the motherboard he says
    yeh weve looked right into it and ive blown my motherboard. i thought i had decharged on the radiator.. maybe not. well looks like its a new motherboard for me lol. thanks anyway guys
    Matteh wrote:
    yeh weve looked right into it and ive blown my motherboard. i thought i had decharged on the radiator.. maybe not. well looks like its a new motherboard for me lol. thanks anyway guys

Some people recommend you plug the pc ito the main BUT have the mains switch off so the earth is always there to discharge.

Oh well an opportunity to get a better motherboard perhap!!
    *cough* Any sugestions? He plays games is a hint:yeees:
    Matteh wrote:
    Yeh i did that already. but ive just done it again. Nothing happens . normally when ive flashed it it comes on but this time its just not done anything. i press the power button ... the power coems on fans start etc. cd drive makes a noise.. but theres no beep and nothing happens . obviosly nothing is loading? =[

Taking the battery out is not flashing the BIOS...

But you should take the battery out and leave it out for 5 mins.. then try it again.