Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

20 pound jobs

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Like what? Examples? And how do you know?
    Its common knowledge the amount of people claiming incapacity benefits is sky rocketing. I personally think its down to the fact that people are so easily diagnosed with silly things that never used to cause people so much of a problem like OCD and Attention defecite and crap like that.

i only need to look at one my sisters ex-boyfriends mum, she started getting incapacity benefit at age 21 for depression and hasnt worked for 40 years since, even tho in that time she's got married, had children and lived a happy life off tax payers money!
    Blagsta wrote:
    So despite having come off looking silly and having to apologies, you'd still want to look silly again in the future?

yup pretty much.
    Blagsta wrote:
    How do you know? Personally I would say that if someone isn't working, there are more often than not issues there. Whether physical health, mental heath, emotional problems, educational problems, drink or drug problems or plain old alienation. I have formed this opnion after working as an education & employment worker for 3 years.

even these scummers you see in the paper wanting a 6 bed council house cos they cant keep their dicks in their pants and would consider getting divorced just so they can get 2 bigger houses?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not good for the child to be in a nursery so early for a start. Why should people have to potentially damage their children because of economic circumstance? It's not right.

im not saying put them in nursery straight from birth, but once they are a few months old going to nursery a few days a week isnt doing much harm, in fact i'd say it'd probably help development if they interacting with more people.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errr...hello? Earth calling koe_182! Do you actually know any human beings? We humans are a fairly complex bunch, we have fairly strong drives to reproduce and form pair bonds, drives that do not submit to rational analysis. Also people do not always plan on kids, sometimes these things just happen. Anyway, why should it only be the well off who get to reproduce?

well maybe people should start thinking a bit more, even if they are unemployed they can still get free contraception in this country thank god. and its one of those circles of scum that you see, their parents dont work, the kids then never work and breed till there hearts contempt. pisses me right off, see it all the time round these parts.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've never got why people put this at the end of posts. :confused: Of course it's your opinion, who elses is it gonna be? You should still be prepared to defend it though, otherwise what's the point in posting it?

Its because people like you think your view is right and other peoples are wrong. i may not have the same opinion as you but can understand why you would think such things.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Don't get so hung up on the term "alcoholic". If someone only wants to sit around drinking all day then they have a drink problem. People who have drink or drug problems have underlying emotional problems that they are using drink or drugs to deal with.

They basically want to have a fun life 24/7 without having to work. Thats what I was trying to say.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    They basically want to have a fun life 24/7 without having to work. Thats what I was trying to say.

And there are people who actually have a drink problem. Any idea who George Best is?
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    Its common knowledge the amount of people claiming incapacity benefits is sky rocketing. I personally think its down to the fact that people are so easily diagnosed with silly things that never used to cause people so much of a problem like OCD and Attention defecite and crap like that.

Things that are "common knowledge" are often wrong. Like it being "common knowledge" in some areas that asylum seekers get mobile phones and driving lessons for example. Yes, there are a lot of people on IS/IB. It can suit the government to have people on those rather than JSA as they then don't count on the unemployment figures. Someone on another bulletin board I frequent said that lots of people were put on IB/IS after the coal mines were closed to keep the unemployment figures down - there were no other jobs for them to go to.

OCD can be a massive problem, it can be practically disabling. Attention deficit I agree is over diagnosed, but its often a lazy diagnosis for complex emotional problems. By the way, what is your qualification for saying that these things never used to cause people problems?
    koe_182 wrote:
    i only need to look at one my sisters ex-boyfriends mum, she started getting incapacity benefit at age 21 for depression and hasnt worked for 40 years since, even tho in that time she's got married, had children and lived a happy life off tax payers money!

Being depressed does not stop people getting married and having kids y'know. I would agree that there isn't enough help for people with mental health problems, therapy is non-existent in a lot of places. This is not the fault of your sisters ex-boyfriends mum though. I would also wager that you really don't know the full story.
    koe_182 wrote:
    yup pretty much.

Fair enough. Odd though.
    koe_182 wrote:
    even these scummers you see in the paper wanting a 6 bed council house cos they cant keep their dicks in their pants and would consider getting divorced just so they can get 2 bigger houses?

So one or two people in a tabloid is a good basis for your argument is it?
    koe_182 wrote:
    im not saying put them in nursery straight from birth, but once they are a few months old going to nursery a few days a week isnt doing much harm, in fact i'd say it'd probably help development if they interacting with more people.

No, its not healthy for children's development.
    koe_182 wrote:
    well maybe people should start thinking a bit more, even if they are unemployed they can still get free contraception in this country thank god. and its one of those circles of scum that you see, their parents dont work, the kids then never work and breed till there hearts contempt. pisses me right off, see it all the time round these parts.

You appear to have a very very simple view of people. Unemployment is not really the fault of the individual, it is a massive social problem. Blaming individuals for the failings of the economy, of governments and society is a pretty shitty thing to do.

koe_182 wrote:
    Its because people like you think your view is right and other peoples are wrong.

Of course I think my view is right. I'm not gonna hold a view I think is wrong am I?
    koe_182 wrote:
    i may not have the same opinion as you but can understand why you would think such things.

I understand why you might think the way you do too. I just happen to think you're wrong.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    And there are people who actually have a drink problem. Any idea who George Best is?
    WTF bring George Best up?
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

Drinking all day every day is fun? I know when I used to drink heavily and not work, I was having fun on the surface, but underneath I was self medicating against depression and alienation. People are complex, you really don't know what's going on for them unless you really talk to people - and even then you often don't know - they might not even know themselves. They might just know that they feel a bit crappy and drinking makes them feel better.
  • Options
    And wouldn't everyone prefer to have fun than work? I certainly don't begrudge people who hate working. Working is shit for most people. I don't mind people who might take a while to find a job they can stick at. Most jobs are souless mind numbing underpaid shit.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    WTF bring George Best up?

He was an alcoholic, which is what you're talking about.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    He was an alcoholic, which is what you're talking about.:rolleyes:
    No I am not. Have a read about 9 posts. You really should read the thread first.

" :rolleyes: "
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    No I am not. Have a read about 9 posts. You really should read the thread first.

" :rolleyes: "

I already read what you wrote. And you're going on about drinking and people with drinking problems. How exactly does that NOT have anything to do with alcoholics?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I already read what you wrote. And you're going on about drinking and people with drinking problems. How exactly does that NOT have anything to do with alcoholics?
    Obviously you didnt read hard enougth.
  • Options
    Don't get hung up on what "alcoholic" means. If someone wants to drink (or take drugs) over everything else in their lives, they have a problem.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    And wouldn't everyone prefer to have fun than work? I certainly don't begrudge people who hate working. Working is shit for most people. I don't mind people who might take a while to find a job they can stick at. Most jobs are souless mind numbing underpaid shit.
    I would love to have a fun life 24/7, but unfortunately working to support myself is something I have to do.

Theres take a while off, & there's a 23 y/o who hasn't done a single days work since he left school at 16, who admits he doesn't want to work at all.

Wouldn't that be a perfect life... He has gotten in the habit of knowing that he can claim benefits & dont have to work. The benefit system is there for people that need it.

If someone said to you that you dont ever have to work again because you can just sign on, would you accept that?
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    If someone said to you that you dont ever have to work again because you can just sign on, would you accept that?

That would get boring after a while, tbh. And personally, I'd prefer to earn my money.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    That would get boring after a while, tbh. And personally, I'd prefer to earn my money.
    Absolutely. It really is a matter of self respect. If you can support yourself you should. I admit I signed on to the doll when I was unemployed & TBH I felt I could support myself without claiming benefits, in which IMO the benefit system should be for people who need it.
  • Options
    23 is very young. I didn't want a job at 23. However, living on benefits these days is not easy. He probably feels a bit depressed, alienated, angry at a shitty economic system which forces people to work in shitty jobs just to pay the rent. I know I did at that age. So what? Most people find what it is they want to do - again, I did.

Healthy well adjusted people want to do things, its in our nature. However those things are not always the things that pay the rent. Most people have things they like doing - writing, music, art, computers, whatever. Things that are creative, that enable us to realise our full potential. Unfortunately, we live in a society where people are forced into doing shit jobs just to afford to live. If someone doesn't want to work in a shit job, then fair enough IMO. They'll eventually find something they want to do and do it and get paid for it. Or they'll have an utterly miserable life.
  • Options
    this debate isn't going to be very helpful to TheSoveriegn, if you want to continue what you're talking about feel free to do it in the Politics and Debate board, just go ahead and start a thread.

But I'm not going to leave up future posts that are talking about a wider politcal positon, especially when revolting terms like 'circles of scum' are starting to be used.

That isn't what this section is for, if someone wants to post a link to a thread they start feel free, otherwise don't waste a lot of time on a debating reply that will just be deleted
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Absolutely. It really is a matter of self respect. If you can support yourself you should. I admit I signed on to the doll when I was unemployed & TBH I felt I could support myself without claiming benefits, in which IMO the benefit system should be for people who need it.

EDIT: I signed off after a few days.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    If you can support yourself you should.

:yes:
    I admit I signed on to the doll when I was unemployed & TBH I felt I could support myself without claiming benefits, in which IMO the benefit system should be for people who need it.

And not lazy people who just can't bothered to get jobs who can?
  • Options
    Even when I was signing on, I was doing things. Vol work in a community cafe, political activism, DJ'ing, putting on parties etc. Eventually I found something that I wanted to do and get paid for - being a substance misuse worker.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    If you can support yourself you should.

I agree. However, the reasons why people can't (or feel they can't) are many and varied and not always obvious.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    this debate isn't going to be very helpful to TheSoveriegn, if you want to continue what you're talking about feel free to do it in the Politics and Debate board, just go ahead and start a thread.

But I'm not going to leave up future posts that are talking about a wider politcal positon, especially when revolting terms like 'circles of scum' are starting to be used.

That isn't what this section is for, if someone wants to post a link to a thread they start feel free, otherwise don't waste a lot of time on a debating reply that will just be deleted

Fairynuff.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Thats great. Like in Australia, people claiming for job seekers allowances are made to do some sort of work weather its voluntary or not. I think that rule should apply to people still looking for work after 6 months.

I think its a really shit idea. I worked 'cos I wanted to - I also was involved in setting the cafe up. Forcing people to work when they don't want to/can't is a really bad idea.
  • Options
    i dont understand where people get the impression being on JSA provides a fun and easy life.. about 200 quid a month doesnt go all that far

koe a lot of your views are very narrow minded.. would i be right in assuming you're not from a working class area?
  • Options
    as I mentioned please use this thread to provide advice on the issue started, anything else should be in politics, so feel free to start a different thread there.
  • Options
    i'm on income support and, after the first twenty pounds, for every pound you earn comes a pound off your giro. so what jobs can i do that earn at most 20-25pounds a pop

Not sure I understand the problem here - unless you are also looking at the additional benefits which come from being on IS, free Prescriptions, housing benefit etc.

There isn't much which you can do for only £20 per week and you might want to consider doing something voluntary until you decide what you really want to do with your life.

Having said that, if you are able to work then perhaps finding something with a greater income than IS would be a better solution. Personally I worked for six years before I found the perfect career for me, but I paid my own way while I was looking and certainly that helps with pride and dignity...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I would have a look on http://www.entitledto.com to check you are claiming everything you are able to.

Disability Living Allowance is not taken into account when calculating housing benefit, and it seems to increase the amount of rent the council will take into account, so it might be worth checking that out.