Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

iMacs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of getting one if i get given this office job because my laptop is old and crap and i've been wanting a desktop for a while. Because they're more prectical for me. My cousins have got one and its soooo nice. Just wondering if they're decent computers?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends what you want to do with it, if all you need is web surfing, email and using some software it's all good... If you want to be a developer forget about it... Mac crash way often than PC tho, but man when they crash you better be ready for a fucking giggle...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've always used Macs at home because my old man's a printer and they've been the industry standard forever and I've used PC's at college and for work.

I have to say I've always prefered using a Mac.

As for Mac funny error messages, there's plenty! :D
    Weekender Offender 
    i'll only really need it for the internet and school work
    Ballerina wrote:

Well then go for a Mac, easy to use and they look damn good...
    with the keyboard being white...are they easy to clean?
    Well yeah, it's plastic, like all others...
    A lot of PC keyboards are still white anyway...
    If you clean it regulary they don't get that dirty...
    Ballerina wrote:

Well then don't you pay a hefty premium for a mac?
    Well then don't you pay a hefty premium for a mac?
    I was thinking that. Why pay a fortune for a Mac if your only going to use it for Internet and school work? Why not just get a PC for half the price? I'd only get a Mac if there was some software that was only available on it, or it was genuinely much better for the task I wanted (or the laptops, because they're really light and good-looking).
    I was coding in uni on macs - deffo prefer them to pcs

Coding what tho?
    well i found one for £399 most desktops are round about that price or even more
    i probably won't even buy a brand new one
    We have a iMac at home and its so easy to use. Its a really good computer to use.

I can't believe my Dad put off buying one due to my exes advice!!!

He's had it for months now and he's had no problems with it whatsoever whereas with the other computers we had, we had tonnes.
    Ballerina wrote:
    well i found one for £399 most desktops are round about that price or even more
    i probably won't even buy a brand new one
    Is it one of these?

imac-300x225.gif

these?

imac_20.gif

Or these?

imac.gif
    Oooo mine at home is the middle one.
    I like that one the best tbh. The top one doesn't look as sleek as that one. It's still gorgeous in real life though.
    My boyfriend has an iBook, because it's what they use at college on his graphics course. I really like it, and borrow it quite a lot.

I probably wouldn't have one myself, mainly because I've taught myself so much on Windows computers since I was 10... I can't fully get to grips with the Mac. But I would definetely recommend them if you're considering it, they're really nice and easy to use as longas you don't attempt anything too techical without knowing what you're doing (which it doesn't sound like you will).

I get in a stress doing anything other than using the internet on there, but I like my Windows XP so... :)
    Is it one of these?

imac-300x225.gif

these?

imac_20.gif

Or these?

imac.gif
    something similar to the middle one
    Ballerina wrote:
    Just wondering if they're decent computers?
    :yes: very much so. you'll begin to understand why people loathe pc's; once you get to grips with a mac you'll never look back because windows genuinly sucks ;)
    I like that one the best tbh. The top one doesn't look as sleek as that one. It's still gorgeous in real life though.
    :yes: Its very pretty and the screen is realllllyyy good :D

I want an apple now.
    You know, you don't need to buy a Mac to run an OS other than Windows. If all you're doing is surfing, word processing, playing music, etc, then why not find yourself the most comfortable mouse and keyboard you can, and dabble with Linux or FreeBSD?

Because, as we all know, OSX is derived from FreeBSD...
    You know, you don't need to buy a Mac to run an OS other than Windows. If all you're doing is surfing, word processing, playing music, etc, then why not find yourself the most comfortable mouse and keyboard you can, and dabble with Linux or FreeBSD?

Because, as we all know, OSX is derived from FreeBSD...
    come again? what the hell is linux and freebsd?
    I wouldn't pay much attention to that last post Ballerina, Linux and FreeBSD are other kinds of operating systems like Windows or Apple OSX that you can use on other computers :)

So ru getting a mac or what?
    if i get given the job
    I wouldn't pay much attention to that last post Ballerina, Linux and FreeBSD are other kinds of operating systems like Windows or Apple OSX that you can use on other computers :)

Right, so why dismiss it? When using a computer for mundane tasks, what is wrong with suggesting the OP goes for a comfortable mouse and keyboard, and switches to an OS other than Microsoft?

Nobody needs to use a Mac for browsing the web and stuff. The two OS's I suggested are pretty damned easy to learn to use for web-browsing and whatnot - and it'd be a heap cheaper than splashing out on a Mac. Plus the OP could have their choice of mouse and keyboard - Apple make some ergonomically nice gear, but you can almost certainly find something more comfortable for you individually if you have a look...
    Right, so why dismiss it? When using a computer for mundane tasks, what is wrong with suggesting the OP goes for a comfortable mouse and keyboard, and switches to an OS other than Microsoft?
    Well using Linux or something because it's beneficial to you is fine. Using it just to not use Windows is stupid imo.
    And the OP is going to a Mac for what reason?
    Because they're good looking and user friendly.
    Because they're good looking and user friendly.
    and i need to replace my laptop and i'm not keen on having another
    Yes they are decent.