Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uncomfortable with money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you ever uncomfortable with money given to you? My parents always told me they would help with the cost of school. I always knew it would be almost the entire cost. Now that the time has come to start paying for things and we have set the specifics of everything I feel ackward. I know I can't afford it on my own and I always knew they would be there to support me. I never thought I would be saying this but I just don't feel comfortable with it.

When we were talking about it, the only stipulation they had was that I maintain decent grades. Easy enough. I told them that they didn't have to do it. I knew they wouldn't pay attention to me. They just told me to shush.

Its just weird. As I said, I always knew they would help, its not a shock in any way, they paid for my brother and will do for my sister when her time has come, but it just doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very appreciative of what they are doing. I know they don't have to. I know alot of people pay for school on their own and I'm so greatfull for it. I've never had a problem with my parents giving me money before :p ... Its weird to explain...

Anybody else ever felt this way?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, i understand what youre saying.

i sometimes feel like that too, although generally for some reason i only really get it with my dad!! (although he makes a loot more money than my mum and step-dad do combined :chin: )
    i guess it depends on what he's buying for me/giving me the money for actually!! if its money for food, or uni costs im ok with it and ill thank him and it will be fine, but with sometimes with other stuff liike.. clothes or going on a night out etc i can be very reluctant to take money off him for it. strange really!
    i dont understand how sometimes i can be alright with it and sometimes not.. youd have thought id feel the same way about everything!
    well you are both very very lucky! Just make sure you show that you appreciate what you are getting, work hard and make them proud. They obviously want to invest in you to see you make something of your life, so just make sure you do :)
    Just be thankful and appreciate it :). Tell yourself you'll do it for your kids when the time comes around.
    i wish someone would give me some money for free... :p