Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

landlines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not long moved into a property and we know it has a bt line. The prob is we want to go with Bulldog for our internet but it requires us to enter in a phone number and we don't know what ours is. We don't want to go with bt for our phone. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try ringing Bt and asking them. Is it rented? Perhaps the landlord knows it.
    I wouldn't go with bulldog if I were you, I'm in the middle of a fight with them, in that all the kit failed and they wont give me new bits to fix it.
    What internert provided would you recomend? we need 8meg broadband unlimited.
    telewest... they may be a little more expensive than bulldog... but I have been with them for about 6 years and never had any major problems! I still have all the original kit they gave me and its working fine!
    If I have ever had minor problems there support is good.
    Can't get telewest in our area
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    What internert provided would you recomend? we need 8meg broadband unlimited.

Absolutely no idea, I just know I wouldnt recommend Bulldog to anyone, my microfilter died, I asked for another one, the response "we dont send those out anymore".

Then, they think the fault is my modem, so I phone technical services, nope, thats customer service, I phone them, nope, thats technical services, I phone them, nope, thats customer service......

You get the idea.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You need the landline number yes? Plug a phone in and call your mobile.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    You need the landline number yes? Plug a phone in and call your mobile.

not if its a dead line
    Tweety wrote:
    not if its a dead line

If it's dead it's doesn't have a number.

Then all you should have to do is phone up Bulldog, tell them you've got existing cabling and they'll sort the rest out for you.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    If it's dead it's doesn't have a number.

Then all you should have to do is phone up Bulldog, tell them you've got existing cabling and they'll sort the rest out for you.

:no: Not what happened with us and ntl. Ethier way phone them and explain and see what they say.
    Tweety wrote:
    :no: Not what happened with us and ntl.

What happened with you then?

If a phone line's been cut off it no longer has a number. If the line is dead but hasn't been cut off it's most likely a fault.
    Weekender Offender 
    Where I live we got this company operating

http://www.now.com

They do internet wirelessly - no idea if they're any good but potenitally if you have internet acces you can make and recieve phonecalls thhrough it if they don't block any ports.
    We're with Bethere.co.uk. 24meg broadband all the way. The office network seems slow compared to home now.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Can't get telewest in our area

NTL?
    I'm with Bulldog and we've had no problems. We get it at 6meg speed - I think 8meg is the maximum.
    16 meg is the max. I have phoned bt and they have given us a phone number and we are waiting for an engineer to come out next week to sort the line out.