Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do posh/rich people tick you off?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was listening to all of my flatmates talk about how many thousands of pounds their families gave them for their graduation, and how they're moving to really fancy flats and houses.

I'm not sure if I'm jealous, or what. But it does get to me, that my family can't give me that and that I have to start from scratch.

Comments

• Options
    yes it can be annoying. especially when rich people show no manners toward people they beleive to be below them.
    You can tell from a mile off all of the people who have made their own living and their own fortunes because they are generally much nicer people to get along with and have a lot more respect for others.
  • Options
    i remember when my housemate said to me "..and her parents give her nothing! just a flat in wimbledon and an audi tt."

i was like wtf?! :eek: :lol:
  • Options
    Me and Char Baby were bitching about this last night.

It's not that they're posh, I just despise the arrogant twits who act like complete arseholes, that I have to deal with on a daily basis. You can tell because they use the 4x4 for the school run and you can hear Classic FM in the background and they just hate having to deal with those vulgar call centre staff.

"Yeah, it's gonna cost £450 to insure the car for the year"
    "Good Lord, that's unbelievable! That's £3.75 more than I'm paying at present!"
    "Aye well, you might be wanting to go elsewhere. We wouldn't want young Archibald to do without, would we?"

We came to the conclusion that the frumpy wives are bitter because hubby is having it off with his secretary.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i remember when my housemate said to me "..and her parents give her nothing! just a flat in wimbledon and an audi tt."

i was like wtf?! :eek: :lol:

Yeah, of course that's nothing...:rolleyes: I hate tht as well, at school, there are people like that and then they look down on me because my parents are 'poor'.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    umm yes and no. no because i'd like to be rich too but yes to those who don't realise how lucky they are.

i have a friend who muchly annoys me but i won't start...:mad:
  • Options
    umm yes and no. no because i'd like to be rich too but yes to those who don't realise how lucky they are.

i have a friend who muchly annoys me but i won't start...:mad:
    Same here :yes:

Its the people who get spoilt rotten but don't realise it that piss me off.

The vast majority of my friends get spoilt rotten. For example, most of my friends got all their driving lessons paid for, got a car bought for them along with the tax and insurance paid for. This pisses me off a great deal. I know its just bitterness though because I didn't have any of it. I had to pay for all my driving lessons and if I got a car, I would have to pay for it myself and have to pay for all of the extras.

I have got a friend who is being given a stupid amount of money for his birthday. If I'm completely honest, even though I think he appeciates it, it annoys me. It just annoys me that other people get it so much easier and I'm having to work my arse off just to be able to save up a bit of money for when I leave University and they get it handed on a plate to them.

Its the people who don't realise how lucky they are that piss me off.

I have to scrimp and save to have anything and have to work all the time to get by. I'd love to be able to go through my 3rd year at uni without working but I simply cannot afford it so my friends who get nice cheques from their parents each week to live off annoy me as they clearly don't appreciate it.

I have so many friends that annoy me when it comes to this sorta thing. I know its probably mostly jealously though because I'm not so lucky.

I'm not spoilt though which I'm pleased about. I appreciate the value of money. I'm glad that I'm independent and don't rely on my parents whatsoever. I've grown up a hell of alot since I've been living on my own.
  • Options
    In my job, it tends to be the rich and successful people who are biggest dickheads. They're so used to having their own way that they can't take it when we don't jump to their every demand. They can wait, just like everyone else.

Spolit people piss me off- it's nothing to do with poshness or wealth, as some of the nicest people I met at uni were not exactly short of a bob or two. People who are spolit don't know how to react when they don't get their own way, and I do just want to stove their heads in.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I have to scrimp and save to have anything and have to work all the time to get by.

My parents have to do this as well. I think that's unfair because I hardly ever see them. Yes, I see them more now because its the holiday, but sometimes its I come home, see my dad for about half an hoour then he goes back out to work again. And yes, it has always been like this.
  • Options
    Some people have more money than others, that's life.

We work hard to get by, but we had quite a bit of the wedding bought, we had the deposit for the house lent to us, etc etc.

That's how life is. I don't resent other people's money because we've had so much help, but I do wish they'd appreciate it more.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    but sometimes its I come home, see my dad for about half an hoour then he goes back out to work again. And yes, it has always been like this.

Yeah my dad is like that, being a single parent of two kids, he's had to work 6 days a week for as long as I can remember. Now that he no longer has to support me, he's started to take it a little easier.
  • Options
    I think it works both ways.

Less well off people I have met complain and don't seem to trust anyone with a 'posh' accent.

Well off people can be patronising and snobby.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Some people have more money than others, that's life.

That's how life is. I don't resent other people's money because we've had so much help, but I do wish they'd appreciate it more.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't resent people who appreciate it.

Its the people who don't appreciate what they get that annoy me.

I mean, I'd love to have more money myself but hey, thats life.

I just hate people who just expect and want all the time and it annoys me that they expect that off their parents. I don't expect anything off my parents so when I do get something, I appreciate it a great deal. Whether its just a drink in a pub to something bigger, I appreciate it.

I don't resent people who get spoilt who realise how lucky they are, its the people who don't that irritate me. However, it does irritate me how much some of my friends get handed on a plate to them. Its like they don't have to work for anything of their own and to be honest, I think thats a big mistake a parent can make.
  • Options
    Depends if they are cunts or not... Like any people really...
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I think it works both ways.

Less well off people I have met complain and don't seem to trust anyone with a 'posh' accent.

Well off people can be patronising and snobby.
    yep tbh. You get snobbery both ways.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    yep tbh. You get snobbery both ways.

Very true.

I like people based on whether we get along or not. No matter their accent, riches, rags or anything else superficial.

However, if they are idiots then I will not get along with them.
  • Options
    Very true.

I like people based on whether we get along or not. No matter their accent, riches, rags or anything else superficial.

However, if they are idiots then I will not get along with them.
    :yes:

I have friends who are very well off then friends who are worse off than me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Spolit people piss me off- it's nothing to do with poshness or wealth, as some of the nicest people I met at uni were not exactly short of a bob or two. People who are spolit don't know how to react when they don't get their own way, and I do just want to stove their heads in.

It's nowt to do with what they have, and everything to do with who they are. You don't have to be rich to be spoilt and ungrateful, and they're the things that REALLY get to me.
  • Options
    Yeah, they can be fucking irritating. I was out in Montana attending orientation for school next year. Met this chick who'll be on the rugger team with me. I was thinking it'd be cool to hang out with another rugby player (round my town the rugby team is made up of friendly down to earth people). She turned out to be this Neo-con, status symbol obsessed, money-grabbing bitch.

Course on the same trip I met my room mate whose parents were very well off. The guy was one of the friendliest and good-natured people I've ever met. He just took it as a given that he ought to be friendly to those around him. A real top notch guy.

Just goes to show; people make money, money doesn't make the person.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Posh snobby manerless twats who don't care about anyone lower than them annoy me.

But ones with a sense of deceny and morals are alright.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

It's nowt to do with what they have, and everything to do with who they are. You don't have to be rich to be spoilt and ungrateful, and they're the things that REALLY get to me.

I was just going to post this exact response when I came to it.

You can be poor and common as muck, and still act like an arrogant cock. A bit of money just tends to make it easier for folk to slither their way up social and business networks.
  • Options
    the ones who don't appreciate it piss me off

like the kids at school who'd get the latest mobile on contract and mummy and daddy paid the bill. And then moan when their parents complain about the bill! I'm on pay as you go and i have to top up myself.
    It's probably getting to me more now my parents have split up, and my dads the one who earns most of the money. And he's probably going to have moved out by the end of the year. So cut a long story short we're going to be struggling a bit and might end up forced to sell the house (that i've lived in all my life) and get somewhere smaller because it's a big house compared to most that are being built now.
    I've got a friend who gets £50 a month from her mum, she saves it up and then says shes skint so she doesn't have to use it i.e still gets everything paid for her. And so she doesn't have to work. I'm probably going to be forced to get a job in 6th form and none of my friends have to worry about money. I mean, i don't mind working to make my own money but i just get bitter because my friends just get everything bought for them and don't have to worry about it.
    At least i appreciate the value of money i guess.

Sorry about the rant.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    the ones who don't appreciate it piss me off

like the kids at school who'd get the latest mobile on contract and mummy and daddy paid the bill. And then moan when their parents complain about the bill! I'm on pay as you go and i have to top up myself.

I hate people like that as well.
    I've got a friend who gets £50 a month from her mum, she saves it up and then says shes skint so she doesn't have to use it i.e still gets everything paid for her. And so she doesn't have to work. I'm probably going to be forced to get a job in 6th form and none of my friends have to worry about money. I mean, i don't mind working to make my own money but i just get bitter because my friends just get everything bought for them and don't have to worry about it.
    At least i appreciate the value of money i guess.

Sorry about the rant.

I actually do see your point. Yes, I get anything I want, but I don't ask for much. And if I ask for anything, I pay for it with my own money. (with the exception of my phone bill, which isn't that much, tbh)
  • Options
    the brats on sweet 16 are the worst :banghead:
    I think they get told to play up to the cameras to be honest - i can't get why anyone would be a selfish ungrateful spoilt brat and be proud to tell the world.
  • Options
    i have no problem with rich people in general

but i do have a problem with people who havent learned to appreciate things, not because im jelous; i'd much rather have to work for my things and because of that i appreciate things alot more, and thats the way i like it. Im glad that i was brought up in a way where i rarely got my own way and rarely got what i wanted because its taught me there are more important things in life than posessions :)

i just cant stand it when someone is ungrateful, or when they get a new phone then discard it soon as a better one is out for absolutely no reason when the old phone is in perfect working order! It just makes no sense to me, because when i buy something expensive i make sure im going to be using it for a long time to get the full benefit.

So i guess its the wastefull-ness, ungratefull-ness, and unappreciative attitude that gets to me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Agreed. It is nothing to do with class or wealth. Just how you act.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i have no problem with rich people in general

but i do have a problem with people who havent learned to appreciate things, not because im jelous; i'd much rather have to work for my things and because of that i appreciate things alot more, and thats the way i like it. Im glad that i was brought up in a way where i rarely got my own way and rarely got what i wanted because its taught me there are more important things in life than posessions :)

I think I'd rather work for stuff than just being given it whenever I want.
    i just cant stand it when someone is ungrateful, or when they get a new phone then discard it soon as a better one is out for absolutely no reason when the old phone is in perfect working order! It just makes no sense to me, because when i buy something expensive i make sure im going to be using it for a long time to get the full benefit.

Agreed. It just seems like they just have money to waste.
    So i guess its the wastefull-ness, ungratefull-ness, and unappreciative attitude that gets to me.

Which you can also find with people who aren't considered 'rich' as well.
  • Options
    I don't hate them per se, but the stuck up in yer face" types really piss me off!
  • Options
    Not to bothered really, I just let them get on with but If people do talk about it in the pub it can be embarrassing if your with them because you think..... TWAT!.
  • Options
    I was listening to all of my flatmates talk about how many thousands of pounds their families gave them for their graduation, and how they're moving to really fancy flats and houses.

I'm not sure if I'm jealous, or what. But it does get to me, that my family can't give me that and that I have to start from scratch.

I'd say what would annoy me more is really rich people acting like they're poor.

i.e. having it but never spending hardly any of it.

I saw on TV Richard Branson and his wife are selling their London home to find a smaller place now that their kids at in University .. :eek2:

I'm sure he's rich enough to pay for the unused space
  • Options
    I don't mind people who are rich. Well, let me explain that. I don't mind people who have earned their money. Frankly, that's a good thing, I like to see it. What I don't like are people who are wealthy simply because they've inherited the lot, not because of any graft or hard work.

And as for kids who get everything paid for at university, I'm sure that is going to become a source of resentment for me in future.
This discussion has been closed.