Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essay Writing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I haven't written an essay in many years, however I'm applying to a Uni to do a Marketing course and part of the application form is a 500 word essay

The essay is on ethics in marketing.

Any tips on how to structure an essay.

Like should I make my conclusions at the very begiing to grab their attentiona nd then explain why,

or cite examples and then come to a conclusion?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    500 words is pretty tiny so I wouldn't worry too much about not having the conclusion spelt out in the intro (that's more a longer essay thing)

So intro that defines the question and answer and quickly outlines the main structure and points, main points, conclusion should be fine - and try to make sure there is a sense of learning something through the essay, that kind of educating narrative - so the reader feels interested whilst they read it and like I've learnt something with you by the end.

Obviously for a longer essay you'd be outlining more in the introduction
    As a suggestion, given it's on ethics in marketing also include eye catching examples at the very start - for example the black/white psp adverts, the benetton adverts, the (was it nspcc? or banardos?) cockroach children ads, etc - to show you get the things you're talking about. The examples you pick (and make sure to track down the actual works and I'd suggest even including pictures if you can) will define your postition and the essay that follows more than what you can outline in the few sentences you'll fit in the introduction.

And for god's sake make sure the intro isn't bigger than the rest of the essay!
    Oh and talk about that bastard Crazy Frog if you get the chance.
    500 words really isnt much so you need to think carefully about the points you want to make. try and make sure the intro catches the readers attention, make sure the whole thing is clear and to the point and definitely use examples to back up what you're saying and to show that you've done your research.
    set the scene at the beginning with any background, but get to the point quickly to prevent boredom to the reader

state aims/objectives early on and keep referring to them throughout

conclude by stating original problem/research question and explain how that has been adressed
    Don't ramble on. And remember to PEE properly.