Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

20 pound jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm on income support and, after the first twenty pounds, for every pound you earn comes a pound off your giro. so what jobs can i do that earn at most 20-25pounds a pop

Comments

• Options
    Work four hours a week in a shop. At NMW that's about £22. A lot of places give four hours a week contracts for Saturday workers.
  • Options
    Why can't you just get a job?
  • Options
    scumbag.

get a fucking job instead of trying to cheat the system.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    Why can't you just get a job?
    That's what I thought. Get off your income support, get a proper job and then you will probably be better off anyway.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    scumbag.

amen.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    scumbag.

:yes:

People like you piss me off.

Pull your finger out of your arse and stop being so lazy.
  • Options
    hey when i was claiming, i was looking for a job like this as i didnt want to take the first shitty job that came along! i wanted something where i would get job satisfaction and good enough pay. stop bitching!
  • Options
    You sure its £20? It used to be £5*. I'd also talk to your Disability Employment Advisor at your jobcentre whether you can work part time and still claim IS. They might want to put you on JSA if you're fit to work.

*it was £5 on JSA anyway
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    scumbag.

This is out of order. You have no idea why he is on IS. IS is not JSA. IS is what people get when they're unfit to work but can't claim incapacity benefit.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    This is out of order. You have no idea why he is on IS. IS is not JSA. IS is what people get when they're unfit to work but can't claim incapacity benefit.
    It's not out of order though.

If he's fit enough to contemplate four hours work then he's fit enough to be working.

IS is for those who are too unfit to work, not those who are too lazy to.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not out of order though.

If he's fit enough to contemplate four hours work then he's fit enough to be working.

IS is for those who are too unfit to work, not those who are too lazy to.

Oh fuck off Kermit, you haven't got a clue. There are plenty of conditions where someone could only work a few hours. Want a list?
  • Options
    I'm sure there are.

I wouldn't expect him to work full time if he has one of those, but that's not what I said.
  • Options
    No, you said "If he's fit enough to contemplate four hours work then he's fit enough to be working.". You have no idea what his situation is. You also have to take into account the financial aspect - you only end up £5/week better off working part time on benefits and quite often end up worse off.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, you said "If he's fit enough to contemplate four hours work then he's fit enough to be working.". You have no idea what his situation is. You also have to take into account the financial aspect - you only end up £5/week better off working part time on benefits and quite often end up worse off.

Yeah, but he's not asking for a job that will suit him in whatever difficulties he has in working - he's asking for a job which won't stop his benefit.

I agree with the majorites here, koe and co.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Perhaps if he was more concerned about getting back to work than he was about not losing his benefit from working then I'd have some sympathy.

As he isn't, well, I don't.

I know you don't think Government money belongs to the taxpayers, but it does.
  • Options
    I think that people should stop being so judgemental about people they know fuck all about.
  • Options
    Yeah, but he's not asking for a job that will suit him in whatever difficulties he has in working - he's asking for a job which won't stop his benefit.

I agree with the majorites here, koe and co.

So? Why should he be worse off? I'm guessing you don't know anything about how the benefits system works - its a shitty mess to be frank and completely stacked against anyone who wants to go back to work.
  • Options
    Shockingly I am with blagsta the attitudes in this thread are DISGUSTING.

My sister is a single mum and she cannot afford to get a full time job as on benefits they pay her rent and give her like £30 a week or whatever the fuck it is.

She couldn't earn enough in any job she could get to pay what she has now AND for childcare at the same time!

It's not cheating the fucking system anyway, that is the rules of the system, the system is saying if you want to try and make yourself an extra £20 because you have fuck all else then go for it.

Fucking idiots.
  • Options
    Try something like a paper round.
  • Options
    You might also get extra disregards for things like travel or books if you are studying- make sure you check you're getting everything you're entitled to. And don't just take your advisor's word for it- they don't always know about stuff/sometimes get it wrong/some of them are cunts and tell you the wrong info on purpose! You might be able to get a loan from the social fund, which you repay at a low rate. They also have grants available for stuff that they don't really like to advertise- the amount you get probably depends on how long you've been on IS...

Cleaning jobs, I think dinner supervisor jobs (schools etc) come in quite low, maybe retail? mcdonalds?

To all the moaners:
    Quit paying your tax if you don't like where it goes! It is incredible the way everyone on here teams up with their moralistic bullshit the moment there's a whiff of a benefit claimant! The immediate reaction from you lot is- 'how dare they?' and 'what a cheek' or worse 'scum bag/cheat', an attitude which I find revolting! Who wants to be in a situation where they either HAVE to be on benefits to survive or are better off 'surviving' on their benefits?

How much do/have you cost the tax payer? Do you know how much your higher education cost(s) the tax payer? Have you ever even thought about it? What makes you think that benefit recipients are any lazier than non to tell them to 'pull their finger out' etc? eh?

Grow up!
  • Options
    Shockingly I am with blagsta the attitudes in this thread are DISGUSTING.

My sister is a single mum and she cannot afford to get a full time job as on benefits they pay her rent and give her like £30 a week or whatever the fuck it is.

She couldn't earn enough in any job she could get to pay what she has now AND for childcare at the same time!

It's not cheating the fucking system anyway, that is the rules of the system, the system is saying if you want to try and make yourself an extra £20 because you have fuck all else then go for it.

Fucking idiots.

agreed. Also, makes no difference if your sister could be better off working- she has every right to not 'work' while she's looking after her kids...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You might also get extra disregards for things like travel or books if you are studying- make sure you check you're getting everything you're entitled to. And don't just take your advisor's word for it- they don't always know about stuff/sometimes get it wrong/some of them are cunts and tell you the wrong info on purpose! You might be able to get a loan from the social fund, which you repay at a low rate. They also have grants available for stuff that they don't really like to advertise- the amount you get probably depends on how long you've been on IS...

Cleaning jobs, I think dinner supervisor jobs (schools etc) come in quite low, maybe retail? mcdonalds?

To all the moaners:
    Quit paying your tax if you don't like where it goes! It is incredible the way everyone on here teams up with their moralistic bullshit the moment there's a whiff of a benefit claimant! The immediate reaction from you lot is- 'how dare they?' and 'what a cheek' or worse 'scum bag/cheat', an attitude which I find revolting! Who wants to be in a situation where they either HAVE to be on benefits to survive or are better off 'surviving' on their benefits?

How much do/have you cost the tax payer? Do you know how much your higher education cost(s) the tax payer? Have you ever even thought about it? What makes you think that benefit recipients are any lazier than non to tell them to 'pull their finger out' etc? eh?

Grow up!

There are some who genuienly can't work and there are some who just can't be bothered... Ans you can hardly 'quit' paying tax, can you?
  • Options
    My local job centre is full of immigrants, piss heads & drug addicts, that give me the impression they dont want to work. One even told me I should tell the JC that I am depressed so I never have to work again.

There are some genuine needed causes but they can sometimes get mixed up in the stereotype of people who dont wont to work. I would be bored not working.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Who wants to be in a situation where they either HAVE to be on benefits to survive or are better off 'surviving' on their benefits?

Plenty of people choose to live of benefits, because it means for most of the time they can sit about on their fat arses, watch sky and do fuck all. if they need a bit more cash, they'll do an odd-job for cash-in-hand. Don't be so unbelievably niave as to think that it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

!

These jobs are generally above the minimum wage and would probably add up prety quickly (judging from my own and friends experiences). I als doubt he'd only be able to do a few hours a week in a cleaning job - not sure about McDonalds - I'm on a basic 18 year olds wage and basic cleaning hours and I still get £40 + a week.
  • Options
    In my experience cleaning jobs are going to be about 10 hours mininum a week, even an early cleaning shift in a large store is going to take a couple of hours each day, so is likely to be over the limit.

Working in a shop part time is bound to be the best option since you're far more likely to come across shifts that fit the limits (Saturday, weekend shifts)

And as to him cheating the benefits system - he's doing exactly the fucking opposite. Looking for a job that legally sits within the framework of Income Support (which isn't, as mentioned, automatically connected to JSA) is the right thing to do, where as most people would probably be looking for cash in hand work, which wouldn't be.

Good luck finding something that fits your situation, sorry many people here seem to prefer to judge you rather than ask what it actually is first.
  • Options
    I know all about the benefits system Blagsta, my Dad paid fucking taxes for 40 years and then when he fell ill from working so hard, they paid him fucking £54 quid a week to live on. I'm more than passionate about the shit pay people on benefits get. But in my line of work, 80% of the people I deal with on benefits are more than fucking able to work - my Dad isn't.
  • Options
    But I don't think that's any reason to assume TheSoverign is able to do full time work either, especially without asking find out.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Try something like a paper round.

These are often cash in hand as well, so you might not have to declare it.

(is it naughty to say that? :p)
  • Options
    These are often cash in hand as well, so you might not have to declare it.

(is it naughty to say that? :p)

Probably is naughty to say that, tbh.