Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice on doing something stupid at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has been really stupid at work, while looking for information on the computer, they came across a member of staffs appraisal which had been saved to the main C Drive, before they knew what they were doing! they had clicked on it, immediately knowing they had done wrong, they closed it. Now that person has found out and my friend was called to the Managers office, where he asked them and they confessed all, they straight away apologised big time and sent a follow up email confirming there apologies. They now have to attend a meeting/tribunal on Monday, they are allowed representation/a colleague to the meeting, they have asked me to go with them a) what am I expected to say, will I have to vouch for that person or just listen? and b) any guesses on the outcome - verbal, written warning or dismissal. Do you think as they weren't dismissed immediately and asked to leave the building that is a good sign for just a oral/written warning?
Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Options
    To be honest the person at fault here is whoever left the document on the C drive in the first place. I don't really see the issue with opening the file.
  • Options
    If the file was in a part of the network drive which was routinely accessible by staff then the company have no leg to stand on. As they cannot prove the file was accessed deliberately, and as the file was not protected, encrypted or hidden, they cannot consider it gross misconduct.

The only problem with that advice, of course, is that your friend was a fucking idiot for admitting it.