Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this meant to happen with the patch?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
recently went on the patch (wanted to try the injection, but was told there were risks of bone problems after 2 yrs), but after only 2 days of having this thing stuck on my ass its got all tacky round the edges. Kinda like when a plaster is moved abit across your skin, if that makes sense.
Just wondering, is this normal? will it effect the effectiveness of it? and im so worried about bathing, and im going swimming next week!!!!
thanx

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure *meant* to happen is the right term for it, but it certainly does happen, and no, it shouldn't make a difference.

I found that putting it on my arm was the best way to get it to stay still and stuck for as long as possible, although people can see it that way.

The movement of it was part of the reason i came off it, tbh.
  • Options
    yeah it definately does do that dirty black look around it. not much u can do to avoid it, n i wudn't recommend tryin to pick it off from around it either because i tried that and it made the patch become loose around the edges n it says on the leaflet if it becomes loose to swap it. didn't think the lil ends would matter that much tbh but you never know. Also as for swimming and bathing etc, at first I was abit paranoid, but later on (especially when it comes to changing), you'll realise there's no way that bad boy is gonna slip off.
  • Options
    If it's just sticky round the edges it's fine - they do always do that. Just put it somewhere no one will be able to see.

If it's actually sliding across your skin (mine did that for the first time while I was on holiday, and I assume it was because of the heat/grease from sun cream and moisturiser and whatnot) then it might not be as effective, and you'd be well replacing it. If it's happening all the time, you might want to reconsider patches.
  • Options
    well i only went on it bcos the gp said that you can only the injection for a max of 2yrs+then you have to come off it - is this right?
  • Options
    well i only went on it bcos the gp said that you can only the injection for a max of 2yrs+then you have to come off it - is this right?

Theres no solid proof as the shot has not been out long enough, but studies have linked using the shot for an extended period of time to bone density loss, though mostly in women (not adolesents). If you want to stay on it, I'd talk to your doctor. Some will reccomend coming off it after two years (mine did, as loss of bone density runs in the family anwyas) but others will have no problem with keeping you on it for a while. I know a girl (30yrs old) whos been on it for 5 years now with no side effects. They shouldn't have just told you you have to come off it, they should have discussed every option, pros and cons with you and listened to what you wanted. I find that very unprofessional.
  • Options
    ive never heard of the patch :blush:
  • Options
    http://www.orthoevra.com/ works like the pill i think. but u just put a big plaster like thing on part of ur body weekly.