Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

allergies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sister just got home from a school trip with a face the colour of a ripe tomato because 'somehow' she managed to get horse hair on her! (even though the school trip was to a victorian school house - inside - in the middle of town :confused: )

but anyway, this got me to wandering, what is everyone allergic to on here? (if anything!!)

i personally am allergic to:

cheesy + spicy (or whatever theyre called) doritoes , as well as other crisps that have some sort of a certain spicy seasoning.

spearmint chewing gum (kinda - sometimes i react to it and other times i dont! its weird)

aand.. latex !! :no: thats a bad one to have, let me tell you! :rolleyes: of all the things..

(sorry if this has been done before/recently) :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    just hayfever

but allergic to loads of kinds of pollen, i hate oil seed
    I'm allergic to Gnat bites which sucks because last night I got bitten quite badly and one was on my eyelid which has now swelled shut. Itchyitchyitchy :(
    MrG wrote:
    just hayfever

Ditto.

GP gave me some tablets which seem to have worked, for once :rolleyes:
    Durg wise I"m allergic to pennicillin and sulfa.

Theres something about cats that just murder me too, not sure what, but I can't stand them, any other animal is fine though.

I also have "seasonal allergies" What that actually means I'm allergic to, who knows.

Its not an allergy, but I've a deviated septum so 12 months out of the year I have a stuffy nose and am best friends with klenex so it sounds like I have bad allergies constantly.

I should live in a bubble :(
    I'm one of those steryotypical geeks.
    erm, i have problems with jewelry sometimes. Silver doesn't agree with me for earrings. I have to have titanium belly bars too.
    I'm allergic to Paprika. I may also be lactose intolerant or wheat intolerent (still waiting for bloodtest results to come back)....
    Latex, and it's really not a good one to have. Think it might be acquired from working in powered gloves.

Also to insect bites and other stings, although seem to have grown out of my hay fever finally.
    Nickel - my face swells up if I have anything that contains nickel in it near me.
    Just this one type of antibiotics that dentists tend to give you. I had an abcess and they gave me these tablets, and as soon as the pain disappeared I came out in this well attractive red rash all over me. Beautiful.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    im allergic to some berries, but i can eat strawberries and cranberries, which makes me happy :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Just silver birch pollen.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've got hayfever. Also allergic to most pets..dogs/cats/rabbits. I'm allergic to plasters too, I'm not sure whether its the material or the sticky stuff.
    Milk, neurofen, ibruprofen and bee stings.
    Latex, and it's really not a good one to have. Think it might be acquired from working in powered gloves.

:no: not nice is it!! i wore a mask for halloween that had some form of latex in it and the next morning i woke up and i was soo swollen and horrible. did not leave the house for days because it looked so bad!

i also find when i have a reaction, that my lips go really tender, sore and puffy. for some reason when this happens i find that it helps when i have some sort of fabric touching them (strange i know! :rolleyes: ) so you can usually find me when ive had a reaction with a large jumper or clothes item jammed up against my face lol. people must think im a right weirdo when i do that!
    My bigger issue with latex is certain common contraceptives I have to say...
    That really is unpleasant.
    I have hayfever, and am allergic to penicillin (sp?), lanolin and some metals, usually the ones you get on belts.

I also get really bad heat rash in british heat... but I can go abroad and nothing happens! I spent two weeks in Lanzarote, with no problems... got back this time last week *I literally landed at this time actually :(* and from ONE WEEK here, at pretty similar temperatures, my neck looks like something out of a horror movie.
    cavegirl wrote:
    Nickel - my face swells up if I have anything that contains nickel in it near me.
    think that may be mine - i remember the woman who pierced my belly button told me young women can get allergic to metals with nickel in them, which is why i had a titanium bar because its low allergy
    i think im allergic to mango but not 100% sure.
    I also get allergic to cat fur if it gets on my face.
    Erm, so I think I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so lots of foods don't agree with me, cause I have upset tummies like 5 out of 7 days a week.

I still haven't pin-pointed specific foods yet though. I've been tested for wheat/lactose intolerance but got the all clear. So yeah. I think I need to keep a food diary!
    Rich-E wrote:
    Ditto.

GP gave me some tablets which seem to have worked, for once :rolleyes:
    Lucky you.

I've yet to find medication that helps with my hayfever.
    I react to a few things now and again (sun, some skincare things, some foods) but I don't have any proper allergies.

There is a chance I've got one autoimmune disease or another, though, which in simple terms is a bit like me being allergic to myself. Great fun.

I also have non-allergic rhinitis, which is as much of a laugh as hayfever, but cause I'm not actually allergic to anything, I never have that winter period where it stops. :grump:
    'an abnormally high sensitivity to grass' according to my doctor. aka hayfever.

also at a school party we concluded that i'd had a reaction to green jelly. i was covered in red blotches. :(

i also had a bad reaction to some form of antibiotic. should really remember what it is!
    I'm allergic to dairy, not intolerant, allergic. Throat closes and all.
    Vault Energy drink.. the new coke "wonder", gives me brutal headaches.
    I've taken allergy tests, where they prick your arms with all those thigns, i'm technically allergic to dust, dustmites, mold, cats, dogs, and everything else under the rainbow, but i've never reacted to any of them.
    I'm allergic to dairy, not intolerant, allergic. Throat closes and all.

What's the difference?
    Sofie wrote:
    What's the difference?

A food allergy is an immune reaction, and tend to give symptoms like swelling, rashes, itching, runny nose. It's potentially a lot more serious, as severe allergies can result in a nasty and pretty swift case of death.

A food intolerance is a digestive reaction, and you get symptoms like stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, poo problems and wind. Totally unpleasant, but not likely to kill you.
    kaffrin wrote:
    A food intolerance is a digestive reaction, and you get symptoms like stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, poo problems and wind. Totally unpleasant, but not likely to kill you.

I got this for weeks then finally worked out what was wrong with me. I was lactose intolerant. That was years ago, found out last year that I had the same problem again.:(
    Heyfever and nickel