Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Defusing a Bomb

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so ready - Someone just put a bomb under 5 feet of cement. It's going to go off in 2 hours. So, you really can't touch it. The bomb has an electric starter, and is rigged on a timer.
You have one of those NNEMP generators things, you know that create EMP and render all electronic devices in a certain radius useless. If you used that, would the bomb be defused? or would it just blow up?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Depends on the construction of the bomb.
  • Options
    Why does this thread worry me?

Your either writing for season 6 of 24 or planning some kind of attack?
  • Options
    Yeah my guess would be that it would depend on the bomb. The timer itself could be the only electrical part. If there's a mechanical backup that creates the inital spark or whatever, designed to explode if the timer fails - or if the electrical part of the timer is holding a contact open rather than closed - then it could still be set off no?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Yeah my guess would be that it would depend on the bomb. The timer itself could be the only electrical part. If there's a mechanical backup that creates the inital spark or whatever, designed to explode if the timer fails - or if the electrical part of the timer is holding a contact open rather than closed - then it could still be set off no?
    :yes:

Also many bombs are designed so if power fails - it detonates anyway. See, it'd be easy for bomb disposable teams to just remove the power source. Hence said mechanical backup that activates once power is lost... and BOOM!
  • Options
    hmmm... going off in 2 hours....

I would jump in the nearest car and fuck off out of there! :D
  • Options
    Were it going off in two hours, balls to everyone else, I'd run to the hills.

However, were I Jack Bauer, I would tunnel into the concrete using my fingernails and disarm the thing with my nuts. And still be back home in time for Countdown and a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    Its got to be a big bomb to blow a whole if 5 feet of concrete.

Best way to deal with it is evacuate the area and then manually detonate it or wait for it to go off :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Its got to be a big bomb to blow a whole if 5 feet of concrete.

No it hasn't. If it's air tight then doesn't take much.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You cannot just blow it up, it could cause damage to other buildings..

I reckon his getting ideas on how to stop the police from defusing his bomb :nervous:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Were it going off in two hours, balls to everyone else, I'd run to the hills.

My sentiments exactly. I'd inform the appropriate people who *can* deal with this sort of emergency and I would get my loved ones out and run run run.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    sophia wrote:
    I'd send Jim V in, he'd know what to do :p
    I concur.
  • Options
    Electro-magnetic field to kill the battery et voilá :)
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    You cannot just blow it up, it could cause damage to other buildings..

I reckon his getting ideas on how to stop the police from defusing his bomb :nervous:

How big a bomb is it??
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    No it hasn't. If it's air tight then doesn't take much.

True that ^^^

Making simple bombs was fun... pack some explosive into an air tight fairly sturdy container... with a fuse... light... stuff explodes, but! Nowhere for the pressure to go. So... BLAM!

Plus... it doesn't have to be big. Nitroglyc will cause a huge explosion with a small amount. Not too much C4 will blow alot of stuff up.

And of course... the good old simple nuke made with a safe and component parts... hehe. :D
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :yes:

Also many bombs are designed so if power fails - it detonates anyway. See, it'd be easy for bomb disposable teams to just remove the power source. Hence said mechanical backup that activates once power is lost... and BOOM!

Electric relay with battery backup

My dad rigged up something like this duringthe Miners strie, we has 12 volt florescent lamps in each room in the house, and two car batteries in the shed, when the power went off as it did a lot in those days the lights automatically switched themselves on - powered by the car batteries - was a lot of fun to be the only house inthe road to have lights at night when everyone had candles and torches.