Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Driving test in own car

Has anyone else done this? My instructor has turned into a bit of a knob over the last week or so, and has only NOW decided to tell me he cant do my test because he has another one at the same time. Despite me telling him weeks ago about it. Anyway. My mother, the saint that she is, offered to come down to Oxford for the day so I can use her car and not have to wait another 2 months for a test date. What I want to know it, other than it being appropriately insured (do I need to bring proof??), with L plates and an instructor mirror, is there anything I would need? I'd do all the leg work myself, if it weren't for the fact that I'm working 7:30am-11pm this week so have no time, and its not too far away :nervous:

Thanks ladies and gents :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Can you imagine if you turned up to do your test in a Ferrari or something ..

There was some guy near us that gave lessons in a Mazda M5 - charged a bit extra per hour then your average instructor mind you.
  • Options
    I took my test in my dad's car cause my instructor was on his jollies. Other than the things you've mentioned (L plates and mirror), and it being generally in a legal state, we did nothing else to it. And as far as I remember we didn't need to show proof of insurance.
  • Options
    You stars, thanks so much. I'm guessing I could aquire one of these mirrors from halfords or somewhere like that?

I sure won't be turning up in a Ferrari, I'll be in a Fiesta :p
  • Options
    I'm guessing I could aquire one of these mirrors from halfords or somewhere like that?

:yes:

They do ones with just the sucker, which is all you need.
  • Options
    if u have a wilko's near you they're dirt cheap in there!
  • Options
    I think for the insurance issue you just have to sign the test declaration saying that you are insured on the vehicle for the purposes of the test.

Those mirrors are only a few quid in halfords like others have said.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Yeah, everyone has said what you need to know, but i'd get a couple of hours practice in your mum's car first as well - cars feel very different from each other and it might take you a while to get used to the clutch, for example. You don't want to fail your test because you keep stalling the car whilst doing manouvers just because you're not used to the car!