Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First Car.

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm still trying to convince my stepdad to let me drive his Mitsubishi pickup off road (can't get insurance on it). That's a huge car.
    I'm still trying to convince my stepdad to let me drive his Mitsubishi pickup off road (can't get insurance on it). That's a huge car.

Can't find anywhere off-road to drive it? I would never be able to drive the range rover on the roads - not with my 0 claims!
    Just got a quote from the people who insure me mam's car, and I've been quoted £750 for a 1998 1.0 Seat Arosa, and next year it'll be under £500 because I'll be 21 (and no claims should I not crash my car to smitherines haha)

I'm dead chuffed, I really thought my insurance would be well over 1k.:thumb:
    A micra has been bandied about as a first car - just thought i'd put in my 2p as i actually have one!

I got mine about 2 months ago, and it's been fine. It cost me £600 with 75k on the clock, and it's an M reg, so about 11 years old.

To insure it in Norwich (the city itself), third party, fire and theft, it's costing me £515 a year - and i only passed my test in feb, when i was 20. Haven't had it taxed yet, so i don't know how much that's gonna cost me!

It's great fun to drive - as it's a 16v, the fact that it's only 1L isn't too bad, it's still quite nippy and for town driving it's fantastic - and so good to park! I've done a few long journeys in it as well and that's fine although it does tend to rattle a bit once you hit about 80mph.

One thing i would say though is that power steering might actually be the best thing since sliced bread. Better, even. If you can afford it, get it - it doesn't make much difference to general driving but for parking it makes all the difference.
    As I've learnt in cars with power steering, I wouldn't dream of buying a car without it!!!

I'm definitely set on a Seat Arosa though - my Dad mentioned a Micra, but tbh I think they look a bit dated now - a bit like marshmallows (especially when they're white!!) lol. But thanks for your input :thumb:
    As I've learnt in cars with power steering, I wouldn't dream of buying a car without it!!!

you might not have a choice if you have a budget of 2k including insurance/tax/mot.
    You soon get used to driving cars without PAS - a little bit of clutch balancing makes the steering much lighter when parking. PAS makes no difference once you're moving over 10mph.
    you get used to it anyway to be honest. i've been driving the car i have now for 3 years and i don't even notice. when i get a car with pas i'll be flying all over the place!
    you might not have a choice if you have a budget of 2k including insurance/tax/mot.
    Nah, 2k for the car alone... and however much it costs after that. (and the car will already have tax/mot!! lol.)
    I'm looking at a 98/99 reg - practically all cars made around that time have PAS. :chin:
    A lot of the time PAS just encourages people to turn the wheels whilst the car isn't moving, which won't do you any favours.
    You soon get used to driving cars without PAS - a little bit of clutch balancing makes the steering much lighter when parking. PAS makes no difference once you're moving over 10mph.

Agreed. My mum has drove nothing but her PAS Rover for years now, til she drove my car. She's CONVINCED it's got PAS... it really hasn't! You just can't tell the difference - I can't, and I learn in a car with it, then still can drive mine with no difficulty!
    (and the car will already have tax/mot!! lol.)

yeh but chances are it'll need renewing within a few months of getting it.

Yeah, i agree, but it's still a bit of a bugger if you're parking in a teeny space, which i do a lot living in very built up areas - London and Norwich. Other than that, it's fine, and actually i found the steering lighter than my mum's car which does have PAS when i was driving around.