Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO those who think Israel's actions have been justified & proportioned

I'm growing increasingly tired of those self-righteous chickenhawks saying that we don't understand the plight of the Israelis and that the Israeli attacks since the kidnapping crisis began has been "justified".

I would simply like to find out whether such people simply think Arabs are not human beings and their lives are expendable, or if the IDF cheerleaders are actually a sandwich short of a picnic and genuinely believe Israel hasn't been targetting civilians on purpose.

1427204.jpg

That the Israelis are targetting civilians is beyond doubt. You don't destroy entire neighbourhoods if you're just targetting militants (unless you are so breathtakingly thick as to believe militants all live happily together in particular neighbourhoods and that innocent civilians don't live near them).

So, you know who you are. Those of you who say Israel's response has been adequate and within their rights, would you please clarify your position now?

A. I admit, even through gritted teeth, that Israel's response has been unjustified, excessive and murderous

B. I am a heartless, nasty being and believe it is okay to kill innocent people on purpose

C. I am a gullible fool who genuinely believes Israel is not targetting civilians on purpose

Well? A, B or C?

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OK I'll go first if you want.

Personally I think Israel's response on this occassion has been excessive. I remain unconvinced by the argument that Israel is killing civilians just for the sake of killing civilains, but think that there targetting has been reckless and shows due disregard for the lives of non-combatants.

As a matter of interest what's your view of the random rocket attacks? Up to you whether you condemn them or support them (gritted teeth or not)
    To be honest NQA the thread wasn't aimed at you.

And yes, I do condemn Hezbollah's rocket attacks on civilians as murderous. Never thought otherwise.

I don't have any problem with Hezbollah, Hamas or anyone else targetting IDF soldiers though.
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be honest NQA the thread wasn't aimed at you.

And yes, I do condemn Hezbollah's rocket attacks on civilians as murderous. Never thought otherwise.

I don't have any problem with Hezbollah, Hamas or anyone else targetting IDF soldiers though.

That's alright - thought I'd clarify my views.

I've no problem with IDF soldiers being targetted or vice versa. Though I think in both cases it would make more sense for neither side to target anyone and actually try and work on building up trust. The problem with both sides is that for each atrocity done by one they justify with an action of the other.

What is needed is confidence building measures and the best that anyone outisde the region can do is not demonise one side or the other, which just makes them more intransigent and less willing to back down. I actually think both the boycott of Israeli goods and the cutting of funding to Palestinian authority due to the election of Hamas are counterproductive as they back both sides into a corner and leave them little room for manouerve without admitting they're wrong. Something which both sides are loath to do.
    Aladdin wrote:

You seem to differ from Clan on that point. But no matter.

As for Israels actions, yes, of course they are over the top, I fail to see what they are trying to gain.

And the same goes for Hezbollah, I fail to see what they are trying to gain, other than pull Israel into a all out war.
    i have copied and pasted my reply to the other thread ...why was another thread needed? ...........................

..............Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheresmyplacebo
    do those of you who think israel's methods are okay, i have 3 questions, they are:
    1. do you actually think there was a hope in hell of them ever working? ie destroying every civilian infrastructure in sight.

2. don't you think destroying civilian homes etc in the meantime and turning their country into rubble will actually get hezbollah more recruits

3. do you not see hamas and hezbollah want you to sink to their level.......
    o
    your questions are a waste of time.
    meaningless.
    the israelis are happy to have terror groups around them.
    it's a sure sign that they are suceeding in keeping their nieghbours weak and feable and disorganised.
    the last thing israel wants are prosperous ...powerful nieghbours.
    death chaos and desperation is what they sow for good reason.
    so long as these people are on their knees all is well in the eyes of the zionists.
    i have copied and pasted my reply to the other thread ...why was another thread needed?

Who knows, there is already 3 about it...
    Those questionsa re ludicrous because Israel has not been killing people on purpose.
    Those questionsa re ludicrous because Israel has not been killing people on purpose.

Amnesty International would beg to differ with you.
    Amnesy internationals judgement is not always to be trusted.
    And yours is? Do me favour.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

No, they just thought fucking high powered bombs would go off and harm no-one did they?

That's like if I aim and shoot and a gun at your face, and say "He walked into the fucking bullet, Officer!"
    Amnesy internationals judgement is not always to be trusted.

I can't beleive you actually can beleive this. Though maybe they really didn't think there would be any civilians in the tower blocks they targetted. Or not. :banghead:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Apparently Israel hopes that the bombing of Lebanon will kill supprt for Hezbollah - I personally can only see the opposite happening.

More than 300 Lebanese people - mostly civilians - and 29 Israelis, including 15 civilians killed by Hezbollah rocket attacks, have been killed since the fighting began.
    Weekender Offender 
    The Fighting Was Begun By Hizbollah You Morons.
    There is something I really don't get... isn't Israel the home of Jesus... If they believe in it all the poor guy probably killed himself already...
    The Fighting Was Begun By Hizbollah You Morons.

Are the civlians members of Hezbollah? Do they deserve to be attacked? You certainly dont seem to have a problem with it.
    Lebonnon, Palestine, Syria, Israel...by time they are done with one another they will all have destoryed each others cities and civilisations and not have enough to keep fighting with.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    subject13 wrote:
    Lebonnon, Palestine, Syria, Israel...by time they are done with one another they will all have destoryed each others cities and civilisations and not have enough to keep fighting with.

You think a full out conflict could occur between Israel and Iran/Syria wihtout the US getting involved?
    It's the beggining of WW3 mate. :no:
    Weekender Offender 
    who mentioned Iran? I think the Israelis are smart enough to know not to fight them while they are crushing the Palestinians, taking Lebonese territory and about to wage war on Syria.
    So you think the neighbourhood pictured above was a bombing error?

Really?
    Syria won't stand a chance if Israel invades.

It'll be full scale slaughter.... Israel has the Merkava(Fucknig brilliant tank!)... Syria has old outdated unmodernised T-72s.
    Super Cobra... Mi24 at best.
    F-16... MiG-21.

There isn't even a challenge going on!
    terrorcorruptionxp4.jpg
    Subject, Israel and Washington are both well aware of the existing defence pact between Syria and Iran and that is precisely the issue factored into the long calculated PNAC agenda (now being ratchetted up another notch with the latest Israeli offensive) by US neocons and their Israeli cohorts. The rhetorical slips by Bush are merely the tip of the iceberg of long hoped for designs by the more cunning and aggressivistic adminstration and advisory actors behind US ME policy like Cheney, Feith, Frum, Perle, Kristol and other ideologues at the PNAC.
    Aladdin, if your so passionate about this why don't you become an actvist? Infact, why don't you join one of these terrorist organisations?

I still believe Israel is trying to protect her self as she is isolated in the middle east. There is Hezbollah, who started this particular conflict by firing rockets into Israel, killing soildiers and also kidnapping two soldiers.
    I believe Iran and Syria has also armed hezbollah as they knew israel would attack, this is their chnace to provoke an attack. Unfortunately, they failed. Israel has repeatedly said they want to destroy but at least damage Hezbollah so it is unworkable. The terrorist organisation believes in the destruction of Israel. Enough said. Probably not for the likes of you guys.
    Furthermore, hezbollah has stated it's aim is to kill as many Israel innocents as possible, I don't hear Aladdin condenming this - maybe he is simply anti semitic?
    This is opposed to the Israeli stance which is to destroy the terrorist organisation and has asked Lenanon to help them to do it. The Lebanoneese prime minister does not like hezbollah and it's relations with Israel are so-so.
    It has NOt stated it intends to kill civilians, none of you have nay evidence to proove thats the Israelis aim. Yes they have killed civilians, but they do not specifically target them, unlike Hezbollah. Why would they kill Lebanoneese innocents?

I am pleased with Blairs response to the attcks he is spot on. I'm surprised you're not criticsing the U.S, you usually blame them for everything. Keep them out of it?
    subject13 wrote:
    who mentioned Iran? I think the Israelis are smart enough to know not to fight them while they are crushing the Palestinians, taking Lebonese territory and about to wage war on Syria.
    Crushing Palestinians? What are you talking about?

Listen, hezbollah is on lebaneese territory, waging a war with Israel, the Lebanoneese people are being hurt by this. If Iran, Syria or hezbollah want civilians to stop dying they would hand back the soldiers immediately and Israel would pull out.
    luke88 wrote:
    Aladdin, if your so passionate about this why don't you become an actvist? Infact, why don't you join one of these terrorist organisations?

:lol: Try reading his posts. He doesn't agree with thier killing either.

I knew your post would be a good laugh at someone who doesn't understand it. You don't advise George W on the Mid East, perchance, do you? Protect herself! :lol: By killing civilians? YEAH.

I suppose the Nazis were protecting themselves from Jews, eh? MAss slaughter of civilians is NEVER protection at all, because CIVILIANS don't ATTACK people.:rolleyes:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: Try reading his posts. He doesn't agree with thier killing either.

I knew your post would be a good laugh at someone who doesn't understand it. You don't advise George W on the Mid East, perchance, do you? Protect herself! :lol: By killing civilians? YEAH.
    He may well not agree with them either but he only lightly does this in comparison to his anti Israeli stance.

Yes protect her self. It doesn't intend on killing civilians, when did they say that the opposite?
    Don't you realise Hezbollah has stated it DOES want to kill civilians?
    luke88 wrote:

Don't be so stupid.
    Renzo wrote:
    Don't be so stupid.
    :rolleyes:
    luke88 wrote:
    Why don't you fuck off?
    I still believe Israel is trying to protect her self as she is isolated in the middle east. There is Hezbollah, who started this particular conflict by firing rockets into Israel, killing soildiers and also kidnapping two soldiers.
    I believe Iran and Syria has also armed hezbollah as they knew israel would attack, this is their chnace to provoke an attack. Unfortunately, they failed. Israel has repeatedly said they want to destroy but at least damage Hezbollah so it is unworkable. The terrorist organisation believes in the destruction of Israel. Enough said. Probably not for the likes of you guys.
    Furthermore, hezbollah has stated it's aim is to kill as many Israel innocents as possible, I don't hear Aladdin condenming this - maybe he is simply anti semitic?
    This is opposed to the Israeli stance which is to destroy the terrorist organisation and has asked Lenanon to help them to do it. The Lebanoneese prime minister does not like hezbollah and it's relations with Israel are so-so.
    It has NOt stated it intends to kill civilians, none of you have nay evidence to proove thats the Israelis aim. Yes they have killed civilians, but they do not specifically target them, unlike Hezbollah. Why would they kill Lebanoneese innocents?

I am pleased with Blairs response to the attcks he is spot on. I'm surprised you're not criticsing the U.S, you usually blame them for everything. Keep them out of it?
    Would you care to answer the question? A, B or C?